Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News: North Korea goes nuclear

News: North Korea goes nuclear

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6034873.stm

Holy shit. The entire international community is gonna start ripping NK a new one. Not to mention that they're giving Japan the perfect reason to remiliterise. Hell not even China will be able to defend them now.

It's a strange country. The people are starving and they invest their meager resources in a nuclear weapons program. However, I don't really see a war starting over there, unless started by the apocalyptic goverment of North Korea itself. Still, I can't see how this would help them in any possible way. Surely other countries won't give them more food aid because they completed the first crucial phase of the nuke program. Quite the contrary.

The ones suffering most as a consequence will be the brainwashed, poor population of that country. It's a negative miracle of an iron fist totalitarism that they haven't overthrown their own goverment already.

Apraxhren
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    However, I don't really see a war starting over there, unless started by the apocalyptic goverment of North Korea itself.
    In all respect I would have to disagree. North Korea would not strike first unless facing an imminent attack upon them. The ideology of the North Korean government is what they call "Juche" and to summarize it is basically self-reliance. The main reason for North Korea perusing nuclear weapons is as a deterrent from an attack upon them. Kim Jong-il is fearful of losing his power to an invasion by the United States and the security of his dictatorship has been an upmost concern in previous negotiations. However, North Korea has been very willing to sell its technology to anyone with enough money and that fact would very likely the reason if any that a war is started.

Perhaps you are right. I don't consider that technology trade a reason big enough to risk a war against a nuke dictatorship, but I'm not sure if I did believe even in this latest war against Iraq years ago. I guess the threshold of starting a war is in reality much lower than I like to think.

Not to fear my friends, after collaborating with my pal the conspiricy nut we (really him, but he wouldn't shut up so I had to keep listening) have come to this conclusion. North Korea is apparently acting as the proxy of China, who is looking to pull a Japanese Empire and conquer Asia. With a nuclear North Korea and it's 1.2 million man army as it's puppet China could launch attacks against South Korea to push the US out and gain control of the SK economy and resources (smart people). Once this is done, they could go after Taiwan and perhaps start moving on other Southeast Asian countries. This would either be before or after bombing Japan in one way or another and securing it's either surrender or destruction. Once all the technological power houses are under it's control a move into India was contemplated (this is where I really started begging him to leave me alone as invading India is about as smart as invading Russia in my opinion). In all this I told him that the US would be hard pressed to get the people behind another war off on some foriegn shores that didn't directly affect their daily lives. Because of this, as ong as US troops weren't targeted (another massive whole in this plot) China and North Korea could likely conquer much of East Asia with little resistance. He also brought up Iran's very friendly ties with China when I offered that the Muslim world wouldn't enjoy another superpower right on their doorsteps. We/He came to the conclusion that the US wouldn't get involved until it really started affecting out lives, as no more nice shirts or Dockers pants would come be coming out of Vietnam or Cambodia.

Now obviously this theory is pretty insane and unlikely, but hey who knows. North Korea gets a lot of aid from China, and the Chinese were informed about the test before it occured, maybe the reason they aren't as up in arms as others think they should be is b/c they have an ulterior motive...

Interesting theory posted above. I think the real fear here, for China, Russia, and the US, is the threat of a militarized, potentially nuclear Japan...

I can't understand how Kim Jong Il thinks either. Anyway, these 2 cartoons cracked me up:

"Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    oh great... didn't they moms teach them not to play with explosive?!

Quote Originally Posted by SK
    Interesting theory posted above. I think the real fear here, for China, Russia, and the US, is the threat of a militarized, potentially nuclear Japan...
    What are you talking about? A remillitarized Japan poses no threat to the US, Russia, or China. The only country you mentioned that would have an issue with that would be China due to Japan's actions durin WWII, but no matter how much Japan builds up its military it still wouldn't be able to pose a theat to China in any way. As for the US, a remilitarizd Japan would be extremely beneficial to the US in the long run. Also if Japan ever wanted to develop nukes it would be in direct response to NK's actions so if China doesn't want that to happen they need to exert some pressure on NK very quickly

The media and the countries rulers dont really care about North Korea since there is nothing to gain. Iran has everybodies attention since it has oil. Japan and SK will be scared of NK, but China wont really care since both states are communist. They will be allies rather than enemies.

This caricature shows my opinion.
    [img=http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7946/contenttodayscartoonsuclickiv9.th.gif]

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    oh well... i just hope Canada doesn't go dumb like that... (are we the only sane country left or something?!)

Who knows, look how we are doing in Afghanistan. Maybe, we will have to send our soldiers there for peace keeping....

Dont forget that with Harper, everything is possible.....

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i'm not worried about DPRK as a real military threat. They know they'd get their shit pushed in if it came down to a real war. And china wouldn't even intervene. Unless they're provoked, they shouldn't be much more than a punkass kid clamoring for attention... with nukes...

As for the China idea: I see how some people might buy into it, but I don't. Maintaining a hazard like the DPRK is alot of work and risk, and China seems to be quite content to just let their natural growth and capitalism-acceptance propel them into a bigger role worldwide. They really don't need a "rogue dog" under their command.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Don't think China is too interested in conquering other nations. Imo, their happy growing and enjoying the wealth that they slowly are having now. If the are imperialistic, Taiwan would have been theirs a long time ago. Seems their priorities have change. Their just acting tough, but all they truly care now is money money money.

Quote Originally Posted by mr3vi1m0nk3y
    What are you talking about? A remillitarized Japan poses no threat to the US, Russia, or China. The only country you mentioned that would have an issue with that would be China due to Japan's actions durin WWII, but no matter how much Japan builds up its military it still wouldn't be able to pose a theat to China in any way. As for the US, a remilitarizd Japan would be extremely beneficial to the US in the long run. Also if Japan ever wanted to develop nukes it would be in direct response to NK's actions so if China doesn't want that to happen they need to exert some pressure on NK very quickly
    I disagree. My points are outlined as follows:
    A) Japan is naturally imperialistic (Opinion based on historic fact)
    B) Japan could have one of the strongest militaries in the world, quickly, if increased military expenditure (Japan currently spends 1% of economy on military)
    C) Japan could easily obtain nuclear technology at the level of the United States and Russia which China and North Korea do not have
    D) Japan re militarized with nuclear technology could again conquer Korea and parts of China (I doubt they'd go far beyond Korea, but they could easily bully China and control the region) And Russia would be hard pressed to intervene at this point in their history
    E) A nuclear remilitarized Japan is competition for resources with the US and its allies which makes them a threat, not a benefit
    F) China would not go as far as military action against North Korea (which is the only response that would stop NK at this point) to stop a Japan remilitarization SCENARIO, Japan could be researching right now and drawing plans (if they have any sense they are) which means it is too late

Stoopider:
    Don't underestimate the US role in Taiwan. China hasn't taken Taiwan already because they are still afraid of the possible US response. The US military presense in the area is very strong, with the base in Japan and 3 aircraft carriers in the area, in addition to nuclear submarines. Money has to go somewhere, in that case in obtaining MORE...

Ummm...I'm going to have to disagree with you there SK. You can't just snap your fingers and create a world class military...unless your Napolean, but that's beside the point...anyway, Japan has plenty of technology, but how much military technology have they come up with recently. Unless they plan to steal Google's Gundam (trust me they ARE building one) they'd be hard pressed to become a conquring empire overnight.

Also good nuclear tech is not easy at all, it would take time and probably plenty of tests to refine the process to US ans Russian standards. Unless they just ask for/steal the technology from the US or Russia it would take quite some time to get where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Ummm...I'm going to have to disagree with you there SK. You can't just snap your fingers and create a world class military...unless your Napolean, but that's beside the point...anyway, Japan has plenty of technology, but how much military technology have they come up with recently. Unless they plan to steal Google's Gundam (trust me they ARE building one) they'd be hard pressed to become a conquring empire overnight.

Also good nuclear tech is not easy at all, it would take time and probably plenty of tests to refine the process to US ans Russian standards. Unless they just ask for/steal the technology from the US or Russia it would take quite some time to get where we are.
    If they increased their military expenditure to 20% they would have a world class military in 5 years, nuclear technology in 10. We are talking about a people who were able to manufacture guns (and improve them) from only a single model...

What you are saying is true SK, but NK has a nuclear bomb NOW, and not in 5 or 10 years so Japan can't really do anything about it currently.

What really is funny is the Sanctions. The Sanctions wont do anything to NK. I mean NK is a communist country, so the country doesnt really import or export. That means that the sanction wont affect it at all. The UN better think of something better to stop NK of going even crazier.

Ummm, North Korea gets massive amounts of food aid from other countries, especially China. Also, Japan apparently announced that they are barring all North Korean ships from their ports, banning all of their products, and denying theier citzens entry into Japan except under special conditions. I'm not sure how much North Korea does export, but if the Japanese are bothering to put a halt to their shipping they must think it will mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by SK
    Stoopider:
    Don't underestimate the US role in Taiwan. China hasn't taken Taiwan already because they are still afraid of the possible US response. The US military presense in the area is very strong, with the base in Japan and 3 aircraft carriers in the area, in addition to nuclear submarines. Money has to go somewhere, in that case in obtaining MORE...
    Disagree. Don't think China gives a too hoot about America. If they go to invade Taiwan, it's doubtful America would throw all especially bringing nuclear weapons into the picture going all out for little Taiwan. They'll just have a very stern warning and economic sanctions.

Economic sanctions by the US would ruin China, and vice versa causing the worlds economy into a depression. Taiwan generates alot of business for both ends as well, with Taiwanese investors now flooding into China's coastal cities.

But the discussion about Taiwan and China is for another thread. This thread is about Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3atfull
    What really is funny is the Sanctions. The Sanctions wont do anything to NK. I mean NK is a communist country, so the country doesnt really import or export.
    North Korea isn't an effecient communist country by any means. Their people would die of hunger without international aid.

America used to bribe North Korea by giving them food and money so that they don't build weapons and harass other countries. Smart eh?