Thread: Split H264 file to fit onto 2 CDs

Split H264 file to fit onto 2 CDs

Hey need some help from you guys here...

I downloaded the FFVII Advent Children (H264 AC3) but it's 1.37GB, so I can't fit it into one cd-rom.

Is there a way to "split" the file into two, so I can burn it onto two separate CDs? I wanted to use VirtualDub, but heard that it has trouble handling H264 files. Any advice please?

Or is there a burning program that does this for me automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Go ask your pal jackal, he should be around in irchighway #sazanquest

Quote Originally Posted by yallo
    Hey need some help from you guys here...

I downloaded the FFVII Advent Children (H264 AC3) but it's 1.37GB, so I can't fit it into one cd-rom.

Is there a way to "split" the file into two, so I can burn it onto two separate CDs? I wanted to use VirtualDub, but heard that it has trouble handling H264 files. Any advice please?

Or is there a burning program that does this for me automatically?

Thanks in advance!

ew. Who uses CD-rs anymore? Stop living in 1997. Buy a DVD burner, they are quite cheap now-a-days.

"Chrono is our Religion. In the name of the Chrono, the Zeal, the Trigger and Cross, Amen."

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    hah! but if nobody's using cds, why are people still encoding anime at 175 or 233 megs an episode instead of a dvd-friendly 171-172?

Force of habit, I tell ya.

(this coming from a guy who's had a dvd burner for right around a month <_<)

I'm burning it for a friend who doesn't have a DVD player.

But anyway, I gave up trying to figure out how to split H.264 files and went to download the normal xvid one instead. Vdubmod does the job from there. *phew*

All those instructions about how to demux and remux (what the hell does mux mean anyway?!) just made me terribly confused and I figured it just wasn't worth killing my brain cells over. :P

Quote Originally Posted by yallo
    All those instructions about how to demux and remux (what the hell does mux mean anyway?!) just made me terribly confused and I figured it just wasn't worth killing my brain cells over. :P
    Muxing is just mixing video and audio. Actually it's an old word of a broader meaning, but suits well this use as well.

Mux = putting video stream, audio stream, and other misc steams into one container/format.
    Demux = opposite of mux.

I've never worked with H.264 because it's a royal pain in the ass. I tried...but it didn't go too well.