Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Manga: Claymore

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David75
    Feeders feed on awakened
    The tower is an awakened, isn't it.
    If the doublet Beth/Alicia is infected, once under control they will of course attack feeders to protect their puppet master.
    If Beth is taken over, I believe she'd relinquish control over Alicia rather than becoming the medium throught which the parasite can control her sister. The whole thing about them having to be twins is that their mindset and bodies are similar, so that a link can be maintained. Beth's mind has to be focused to keep Alicia in control, so the link isn't ON by default. Being taken over by a parasite would kill that link, as it kills Beth's mind, and I doubt the parasite would be able to re-establish it.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    If Beth is taken over, I believe she'd relinquish control over Alicia rather than becoming the medium throught which the parasite can control her sister. The whole thing about them having to be twins is that their mindset and bodies are similar, so that a link can be maintained. Beth's mind has to be focused to keep Alicia in control, so the link isn't ON by default. Being taken over by a parasite would kill that link, as it kills Beth's mind, and I doubt the parasite would be able to re-establish it.
    I don't know wether we can say now that the link would be broken and the parasite would be unable to use that link.

After all, she had a direct hit, didn't see it coming and the parasite might have been very quick in taking her body and soul (massive cell invasion through bloodstream for example?)
    It's fairly possible she didn't have time to cut the link.
    After all, the scene let's us think she's infected and her sister still in awakened state.
    She would probably have her sister quit the awakened state in the event she feels she's compromised. But again, I think she didn't have the time to realise/react.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

After all, she had a direct hit, didn't see it coming and the parasite might have been very quick in taking her body and soul (massive cell invasion through bloodstream for example?)
    It's fairly possible she didn't have time to cut the link.
    "Cutting" is where my idea differs from yours, in that there is nothing to "cut".

The way I saw it is that the control is balanced. When Beth controls Alicia, she tries to control Alicia's body, while Alicia's awakened "soul" tries to take it back.

For example, at Beth's best condition, the control will be 100% Beth, and 0% Awakened Alicia. If Beth lost concentration, her level of control will drop, and since the body is Alicia's, her awakened mind will automatically control what's left over:

eg. Beth 80%, Awknd Alicia 20%

The idea is that Beth has to actively hold her share of control, or it's automatically lost to Awakened Alicia.

In the current case, I see it as Beth slowly losing control as she can no longer think, concentrate nor even keep her mind intact sufficiently.

The control now might be, for example: 40% Beth, 60% Alicia.

When Beth no longer has a mind, and hence can no longer control Alicia, Awakened Alicia is completely independent.

What's happening is that the parasite is devouring Beth's mind and body. If I was to use an analogy, it would be that the parasite is taking over the "space" in Beth's head. It's destroying Beth's consciousness and replacing it with its own. It's not taking over Beth by "controlling" her data, but "rewriting it", hereby tipping the balance to

0% Beth (because it's no longer there), 100% Alicia.

The parasite can't push to increase it's share of control of Alicia's body because it doesn't know how. It was explained before by one of the organisation's men to Galatea that as the result of Alicia and Beth's training, they no longer have their own personality. The parasite that has overwritten Beth's data with its own doesn't have this ability.

Plus, I believe that the control only worked because control of Non-Awakened Alicia was given to Beth, then she awakened, while Beth maintained control.

Once it's lost, and the Awakened takes over its own body, I don't believe even a healthy Beth could have re-established control.

---------------------

Bottom line is that I don't think the link is of a nature where one party has to actively severe it. As soon as Beth's normal mind is gone, Alicia has her own body, and the parasite has Beth's.

btw, I think the correct name was Alice, not Alicia (my own stuff-up after watching Valk. Chronicles.)

Chapter 96

Franky-House

MegaUpload | One Manga

Where's Prescilla? I hope she's not dead. And will the organization turn Raki into a male awakened being?

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudo
    Where's Prescilla? I hope she's not dead. And will the organization turn Raki into a male awakened being?
    For some reason, Raki might be the one wiping monsters from the face of that world.

He's powerless, but yet it seems he was the one responsible for the eradication of the voracious eaters at Tichéri.
    He somehow/probably has a power that can anihilate yoki.
    He got that from birth and slowly awakened the power, or got it being surronded by humongous yoki powers, starting by Claire, Easley, Priscilla.
    That would explain why the latter was so tiny and with an almost impossible to trakc yoki.
    It was her only way to be able to travel with Raki, or his power was rather pratical in that it masked her yoki.

Out of this pure speculation, it might explain why he's never been attacked by Priscilla or Easley. And if I stretch it a bit, he might be the reason why Claire was always able to remain on the thin red line beetween sanity and going awakened when she powered up (or at least it helped the first few times when she needed a lifeline so that she learns the limits)

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Out of this pure speculation, it might explain why he's never been attacked by Priscilla or Easley. And if I stretch it a bit, he might be the reason why Claire was always able to remain on the thin red line beetween sanity and going awakened when she powered up (or at least it helped the first few times when she needed a lifeline so that she learns the limits)
    That's probably better reasoning than the usual cliche "my love pulled her back from insanity". It would give Raki some interesting development, since i've been waiting the entire manga for him to become badass.

For some reason, Raki might be the one wiping monsters from the face of that world.

He's powerless, but yet it seems he was the one responsible for the eradication of the voracious eaters at Tichéri.
    He somehow/probably has a power that can anihilate yoki.
    He got that from birth and slowly awakened the power, or got it being surronded by humongous yoki powers, starting by Claire, Easley, Priscilla.
    That would explain why the latter was so tiny and with an almost impossible to trakc yoki.
    It was her only way to be able to travel with Raki, or his power was rather pratical in that it masked her yoki.

I don't really see how Raki having that power would stop Easley or Pricillia from attacking him, but like you said, it's speculation, and it's actually rather plausible. I like it too, since it finally gives him a way to finally protect Clare.

Like Dae said, lets hope everything is more interesting than simply "willpower".

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudo
    And will the organization turn Raki into a male awakened being?
    I can see that happening. The organisation makes Claymores by infusing Yoma flesh into humans. Right now, that "thing" is pretty much infusing itself into Raki. If the organisation is able to find out why Raki's surviving as long as he has, they might be able keep his brain from being affected by the parasite, letting him control it back.

The fact that they mentioned these beings have no thirst for flesh may translate as a lack of lust in Raki, so that releasing Youki doesn't give him pleasure as it did the previous male samples.

Regarding Pricillia, I'm going to guess she lured a whole bunch of them away from Raki and killed them herself. She'll be part of the rescue mission later on to get Raki out of the place.

The bottom frame of pg20-21 was simply beautiful.

so, now that Beth has awakened, wouldn't it control Alice(was that her name?) as well?
    or maybe this time Alice(?) is going to pull her back.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    Maybe Pricilla somehow fused with Raki in order to prevent it from spreading. I mean I thought she was stronger then Easley. So if she did somehow fuse then why shouldn't she able to stop the infection?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin
    Maybe Pricilla somehow fused with Raki in order to prevent it from spreading. I mean I thought she was stronger then Easley. So if she did somehow fuse then why shouldn't she able to stop the infection?
    Because so far it hasn't been hinted that strength is the key to stopping the infection. That's where David's theory comes in.

As for fusing...I don't believe they've ever done that before. The fusing of flesh is the closest thing we've seen so far, and that's been portrayed as the simple insertion of youma flesh into a human.

As for the new tower of destruction (forgot the name), they managed to fuse because they were sisters, if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding Pricillia, I'm going to guess she lured a whole bunch of them away from Raki and killed them herself.
    That would seem like the more likely explanation although Priscilla fusing with Raki also visited my mind, but I can't really see that happening.

I'm certainly looking forward to learning just why Raki can fight back against the parasites. David's theory is a bit out there but who knows. Sheer willpower would be a bit boring.

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    Hell he might as well have a Claymore in his bloodline. If they can reproduce anyway =\

i think it was stated that they could not reproduce...

Quote Originally Posted by ForteCross
    i think it was stated that they could not reproduce...
    I think it was stated that Youma could not reproduce. I don't recall anything about Claymores since they tend not to live long enough to find out. Their bodies are also supposed to be disgusting.

I think it was stated that Youma could not reproduce. I don't recall anything about Claymores since they tend not to live long enough to find out. Their bodies are also supposed to be disgusting.
    Yes their bodies are supposed to be disgusting, we had that info in the young Claire arc.
    We can suppose that the butchery the organisation performs on the girls render them inept for reproduction. If not the view seems to be enough to repell even the less subtle brute raper there is.

I suppose the butchery is performed before puberty, to exclude any sex related awakening, if so, it's possible to extrapolate that the youma flesh inside them totally messes with their hormonal system. I also wonder if it doesn't make them grow faster.

And yes, their lifespan is short and pregnancy would probably shorten it even more, having them killed before giving birth. Afterall, pregnancy is not compatible with physical combat.

Yes their bodies are supposed to be disgusting, we had that info in the young Claire arc.
    We can suppose that the butchery the organisation performs on the girls render them inept for reproduction. If not the view seems to be enough to repell even the less subtle brute raper there is.

I suppose the butchery is performed before puberty, to exclude any sex related awakening, if so, it's possible to extrapolate that the youma flesh inside them totally messes with their hormonal system. I also wonder if it doesn't make them grow faster.
    All the claymores have modest figures, but they're still quite the woman. It's hard to imagine someone whose sexual organs are removed/inactivated could develop such features.

As for the age factor, I thought it was just easier to control them at a younger age, especially since most were orphans (the twins are the only known exception). It would also bring out the most in training.

Beyond a certain appearance, Claymores don't age. The seven years spent in the north for Clare and company (Galatea too) as well as Teresa's consistent appearance during her career certainly gives proof of that. According to Clare, they don't even really need to eat.

Their shortened life spans come from two factors, combat deaths and awakening. Most are just mercy killed before they Awaken.

If I remember right, Teresa was nearly raped when she first met Clare. She didn't seem to care, so I imagine that their disgusting bodies aside (which didn't really deter the bandits too much) reproduction is not an issue. Even if it was, I'm sure the embryo would be killed quickly from a number of causes.

Chapter 97

Red Hawk

MegaUpload | One Manga

did she eat an awaken?
    aren't normal ABs supposed to eat regular humans?

but then again, she did say that she's after "that man"...

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.