Thread: Forum Rules on Spoilers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not sure if it's been discussed, but just looking at the forum main directory, under "Naruto Open Discussion", it shows "last post" in a thread titled "Sixth Hokage". That right there is a possible spoiler to someone like me, who has not read the manga. Now I'm thinking, "sixth hokage?!? What happens to Tsunade? Omigosh! Who is this mysterious sixth hokage?? Will it be Naruto? Or some other super ninja we haven't met before? Maybe Jiraiya? Maybe Ebisu? Maybe Konohamaru?

What can be done about this blatant disregard for the rules???

I changed that threads name just a bit to "The Sixth Hokage?". I put a ? after it, so it gives an idea that it's a suggestion or possible truth and not an actual fact. That thread has been around for a little while now.

If you still believe this is a spoiler, come up with another suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Not sure if it's been discussed, but just looking at the forum main directory, under "Naruto Open Discussion", it shows "last post" in a thread titled "Sixth Hokage". That right there is a possible spoiler to someone like me, who has not read the manga. Now I'm thinking, "sixth hokage?!? What happens to Tsunade? Omigosh! Who is this mysterious sixth hokage?? Will it be Naruto? Or some other super ninja we haven't met before? Maybe Jiraiya? Maybe Ebisu? Maybe Konohamaru?

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=13748

Just know we keep an eye on thread titles, that's all you need to know... There's no blatant disregard for the rules, just paranoid people.

And kai, I removed your question mark... so now we are going to add a question mark to all the threads in Open Discussion? It's not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax

All that thread is is speculation on who might become the sixth hokage. There are some spoilers in the thread, but not relating to the thread title.

No, not all threads in there will need a question mark, but one can be added to this thread. I don't see why it couldn't.

without the ?, it's saying that it's a statement, with it it could mean it's true or not.

• Anything which reveals future, un-seen as of yet plot elements, thus denying the reader the proper suspense when reading the book or watching the movie.
    • Identifying whether a character is in/not in the manga, especially when the comment reveals whether a character will become important in the future of the anime.
    • Spoilers in thread titles. Remember, even if your thread is in the manga section, it can still be seen from the frontpage. Therefore all thread titles should not have any info outside of the anime.
    Last edited by kAi; Tue, 10-03-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAi
    No, not all threads in there will need a question mark, but one can be added to this thread. I don't see why it couldn't.
    Fine, if you want to be Animeniax's bitch... I'm all for it.

Wow, I like it when mods can't be impartial and act like big babies like the rest of us.

Anyway, I think a thread title like "The Sixth Hokage" is pretty much a statement of future events. Whether they are speculative or actually have occurred in the manga, such statements will be taken as a spoiler.

I could go ahead and make a thread titled "Naruto beats Sasuke thanks to Jiraiya", then go on to make the thread a speculative topic about why Naruto would beat Sasuke with Rasengan in a fight. The casual forum goer who hasn't read the manga will assume that I've just posted a spoiler, and get very upset, even though the actual thread doesn't discuss future events (well, maybe).

It's not a spoiler if it's not true though. By definition spoiling should require that the spoiler in question give away information that is in the manga or something. Things like 'The Sixth Hokage' might be true, but just seeing the title doesn't imply that there will or won't be a sixth Hokage in the story. I don't think the goal of the spoiler rules is to protect people from idle speculation, it's to protect people from being exposed to ideas and having a very strong reason to believe that the ideas will take place in the anime before they actually do.

Example, around the time Sasuke gets put in the barrell if I werer to speculate "I wonder if we'll see Sasuke come out of the barrel and fight before this arc is over" people wouldn't have any reason to believe it was going to happen other than it being plausible. However if I were to say "I can't wait till Sasuke comes out of the barrell and fights Naruto" that would obviously be a spoiler, because 1) It was going to happen and 2) I imply that it will happen and that I'm just waiting to see it happen. Interestingly, if someone had used the spoiler wording on something that wasn't going to happen they might have been written off as speculative by a mod who had read the manga. The point being that the plot should be a surprise to anyone who only browses the anime forums.

Point of the matter is that you don't have to concern yourself with there being spoilers on thread titles. We the mod are very aware of how thread titles are called and we act accordingly. In fact, if you have doubt of another thread title in the future and you bring it up, I'll consider that a spoiler instead. It pretty much goes along the lines of the spoiler rule "pointing out that something is a spoiler". So just sit back and let us do our job.

And just so you know, "The Sixth Hokage" is not a statement. It's a subject, so there's no spoiler in there. And as such, such "statements" as you call them will not be taken as a spoiler, if you're going to be paranoid about it be my guest, but that's your own fault. So I repeat once again, let us do our job and concern yourself with something else.