Thread: Kanon (2006)

Kanon (2006)

Here's a prelude to the remake series of Kanon released by Sprocket-Melody:
    http://a.scarywater.net/sprockethole...5D.mkv.torrent
    http://a.scarywater.net/sprockethole...5D.avi.torrent

Another version released by The Waffle House [TWH]:
    http://thewafflehouse.net/releases/Kanon_Prelude_[TWH].torrent

READ BEFORE POSTING:

This is a thread to discuss the Kanon remake, there will be absolutely no discussion regarding the original series. Violations will be considered spoiling, and will be dealt with a severe warning and possibly a ban from the forums. Beware of browsing wikipedia and other sites about the series, you'll probably find yourself reading alot of spoilers.

"Announced by TBS and Pony Canyon at the Tokyo International Animation Fair 2006.

A remake of the Kanon series which was shown 2002. This time production and animation is done by Kyoto Animation, the same team which was already behind the AIR TV conversion, as opposed to Toei which was responsible for the 2002 series.

Broadcast scheduled to fall 2006. The series will have the same seiyuu cast which already was in the original.

*based on Key Visual Art`s visual-novel by the same name*

One snowy winter`s day...

I sit on a bench near the station, waiting to meet my cousin Nayuki Minase; it`s been seven years since I last saw her.

This place is far from the town where I was born and lived until yesterday.
    This is where Nayuki lives with her mother, who has offered to take me in, now that I am forced to move so suddenly.

And this is the town in which my faintest, cloudiest childhood memories are set...

A young man, Yuuichi Aizawa, gets off a train and leaves the station as he enters a town that is blanketed by snow. He left the area seven years ago and has now returned to his memories that he left behind. Although his past is blurry in his mind, the girls that still remember him and that he had relationships begin to help him remember. While this happens, the bad memories of his past also begin to come back, and will eventually haunt him."

http://www.bs-i.co.jp/anime/kanon/
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6431
    http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=4404
    http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3...on__2006_.html

Animation looks quite good.

I never played the game (never found a translated version, or a translation patch), but I did saw the "original" series. And just a few minutes of the prelude already hooked me.

Im expecting a lot from this series, I just hope Im not dissapointed as I was with Air.

Prelude by EnA:
    http://a.scarywater.net/ena/%5BEnA%5...5D.avi.torrent

I think it's pretty obvious that this series will be overly oversubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    Prelude by EnA:
    http://a.scarywater.net/ena/%5BEnA%5...5D.avi.torrent

I think it's pretty obvious that this series will be overly oversubbed.
    Yeah, that's indeed something that can hardly be called surprising. I watched the old Kanon in the first place because Fred Gallagher mentioned it in his rant or blog, and I'm pretty sure 10000 other people did the same thing... >_> And that's of course only a fraction of the whole scheme. Talk about a hot show.

I'll check this EnA prelude version - simply because that abbreviation sounds more convincing than the names of those other groups...

Sprocket I've never heard of. Melody is some new group, I think they are subbing Bimbou Shimai Monogatari, and I think they are bad from what I've read around. EnA, I haven't seen anything. And The Waffle House is a manga group, don't know about their subbing skills.

I'll have to go with the most "known" group when the series comes out.

Or maybe I'll recheck my old version of Kanon and see who subbed it, to see if they will repeat the honors.

Who is Fred Gallagher?

I think a.f.k. is picking this up, I'll probably go with them. Though I don't like how they always switch the names to First Name, Last Name format.

Seemed like high production values based on the prelude. And of course that makes sense: No use to make a new version unless you have the means to do it well. Whilst I didn't see anything wrong with the EnA's work on this prelude, who knows, if a.f.k. starts to sub this, I might choose them just for old times sake.

Quote Originally Posted by RyougaZell
    Who is Fred Gallagher?
    The author of MegaTokyo. I have picked some animes based on his writings (at least Air, Kanon, Magikano, and Mahoraba. Don't remember others right away, but there likely are some).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    ...and I'm pretty sure 10000 other people did the same thing... [
    Yeah, I'm one of the 10,000 other people.
    So this is 24 episodes... much longer than the original.

Hah, I have better opinions than that so called Fred Gallagher. Just follow my lead.

a.f.k.?
    I liked their work with Haruhi. If they pick it up, I'll have to download their version.

There was a nasty rumor several months ago, that because Kanon was given the 24 episode number, Haruhi only had 12. But this theory seems to have been proven wrong later.

Back to the prelude.
    If the series mantain (sp?) the same quality, I can say it will be even better than Air's animation.

Static-subs in collaboration with Eclipse presents the first episode of the Kanon remake:

Kanon 1 (xvid) - SS-Eclipse
    Kanon 1 (h264) - SS-Eclipse

Edit: I have to confess my image of Kanon is highly coloured by the fact it seems to enjoy a status of cult following and high hype. Not perhaps in the same extent as Suzumiya Haruhi, but some sort of extravagant attention anyway. Thus my memories of the original were affected by a counteraction. Well, that is why I was all the more pleased when this episode was quite good indeed. I have nothing to complain about.

Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon from Suzumiya Haruhi) fits perfectly in the role of Yuuichi. In fact having watched Suzumiya Haruhi probably makes watching this series twice as nice, because there's something similar between those two roles, and so you get nice memories of similar behavior patterns from The Melancholy.

Definitively a series I'll keep watching. Needless to say, Static-subs and Eclipse did very good work with the subbing.
    Last edited by Kraco; Fri, 10-06-2006 at 11:45 AM.

The snowy days of the past and the present continue to merge together:

Episode 2 xvid - SS-Eclipse
    Episode 2 h264 - SS-Eclipse

Edit: A very nice episode. I don't know why this series works so well and if it requires predisposition and not minding the slightly odder than normal female character design, but it just works. And of course the fact the dude is so similar to Kyon (like I stated already earlier) makes it consistently better.
    Last edited by Kraco; Fri, 10-13-2006 at 10:33 AM.

Currently downloading the 2nd episode by Eclipse.

I liked the detail they put ont the series.

Like Nayuki's mom using hot water to un-freeze the lock.

Definitely better than Air.

This series has been really well done. I didn't find the first season interesting (heck, I even stopped about halfway through), but this remake is just excellent. I can only hope that it'll stay like this for the rest of the series.

Also, did anyone else notice that Kyoto is sticking in some Haruhi Suzumiya references in these Kanon episodes?

In episode 2:
    - Yuichi's introduction was considered normal, but he said that if there were any introductions that were not normal, he would like to see it. Obviously, this can be seen as a reference to Suzumiya's introduction
    - When Yuichi was found by Kaori, he said that he suddenly saw Kaori there. Kaori responds by asking why he is narrating. This is a reference to Kyon's speeches when it was undetermined if he was speaking out loud or to himself
    - While Kaori was leading Yuichi out of the school, she thought that he was a spy from a secret organization, but he claims that he's an ordinary transfer student. This can be a reference to Itsuki.

Episode 3:
    - When Mai said that she was going home, Sayuri said that she was going to the library. Mai then decides to follow Sayuri. This can be a reference to Nagato's liking to the library since Nagato and Mai's voices sound very similar (and probably their characteristics).

That last one is a huge stretch. Mai is voiced by Yukari Tamura, and Yuki from Haruhi was voiced by Minori Chihara. Personally, I don't think they sound at all alike, even considering they're both playing emotionless characters. Yukari Tamura's voice is pretty distinctive. Sayuri was the one who wanted to go to the library. It's more likely that Mai just tags along wherever Sayuri goes. I suspect we'll see a reason why Mai stays at school. I mean, she's in the hallway at night with a sword at the end of eps 3 for a reason, right?

The eps 2 ones are correct, but the last one is totally off base.

Episode 2 seems to be down. Any ideas?

You can get it off Eclipse or SS IRC channel, the second option is to download the a.f.k. version and maybe third is just wait for them to fix the torrents.
    Last edited by Zati; Thu, 10-26-2006 at 11:58 PM.