Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Help me!" Thread

I'm trying to figure out why I'm using the sentence "She blinded me with science" so much..
    until today I didn't even know it was a song from 1982, so I don't know where I first heard of it...
    did it appear in some cartoon (simpsons? south park? futurama) or in some big webcomic during the past five years? I can't remember anything about it, so maybe one of you can help jog my memory...

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Check here.

I can remember it from Mythbuster.

I checked it before, it wasn't any of them...
    unless it's futurama (I can't find anything about it), then it's something in the internet, most likely a web comic.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Anyone got idea how to set up dual or triple boot(1 linux(ubuntu i think or kubuntu) windows xp and vista)? is it possible to use disk map to set up 1 system of those 3?(i don't want to do another annoying install of win xp and setting up all drivers.)
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Why use xp and vista? Ubuntu is easy to setup. You can make a virtual drive on your windows drive. There's a ton of guides on net.

well i hate using vista(yes i tried - and i always were the one who switched OS fast(i had even ME - epic fail windows) but it got dx10, and it can run halo 2. Xp is for 3d graphic and ubuntu for internet, and i also want to learn how to use Linux well... i know just the basics.

edit
    I had virtual os set up but well... playing games on that is impossible.
    Last edited by Xelbair; Mon, 10-27-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Is there some inherent problems with large (8GB or 16GB) USB flash drives formatted in FAT32?

I've talked about before how I bought an 8GB Kingston drive, and copy 8GB worth of video files (170MB to 343GB in size range each) would result in corrupted and unreadable files. Few are readable. I returned that for another one, with same results. I concluded the batch was bad.

That was several weeks ago.

Today, my dad received his 16GB stick be bought off the net, and I'm getting similar, though I'm unsure if identical, problems. Larger video files, and sometimes even smaller ones, are unreadable. Is there something inherently wrong with large USB sticks, or is it my computer(s) fault?

My 1GB USB works fine. I've had that for a year now. I've also tried other people's USBs with no problems, though I can't remember if they were that large. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

PS: that 16GB USB was a different make.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I'm looking for a program that'll show you your framerates in-game. I'll be running it in XP. Anyone recommend anything?

I think FRAPS can show FPS, though I haven't personally tried (despite having used fraps to capture video). Great many games have an inherent ability to show the fps count as it's of utmost importance to mappers. You just have to enable it in the config file (or console if the game has such). But then again, since you are asking, I suppose your particular game doesn't allow this.

Just downloaded FRAPS, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Small little program that shows me my framerates so I can tweak accordingly. That video capture could come in handy too.

My Asus graphics card come with a similar application called AsusOSD, but that didn't work, for some reason. It didn't ask me for an install directory, and all it did was run a keyboardsomething.exe on start-up. No desktop short cut or start menu entry. The exe itself was located under C:/windows. I got rid of that soon enough.

Thanks Kraco.

For the pendrive problem - i think its something wrong with your PC. I have got 8gb usb stick(A-data - sucks but well - I just use it for LAN-parties) - once I took whole Last Exile series on it and I had no problems(it was faster than slow W-LAN) with corrupted files.

The first time I watched the series, I was also one who was disappointed with the ending. The build up was just too much that my expectations couldn't have been met even if it was End of Eva I had watched in stead of the last two episodes.

Now after just re watching the series I feel a part of me grasping to each identity personified in the ending of this incendiary master work of art. Asuka, Shinji, Rei, even Misato each one of their insecurities hit home for me.

You can say "its depressing" but really you wouldn't comprehend it if you weren't already. At least, you'll only see it from the outside looking in. Haha, and yet when you do understand its exactly opposite; the inside looking out.

- How we perceive ourselves, and how others perceive us all feels minuscule to my will to survive. But since they coincide there must be balance. Why do I even want to live? To be or not to be? If I were to go now albeit I wouldn't feel nothing, but it wouldn't have been worth the struggle neither.

So I must mark my existence in some way. Internally or externally I will prove to myself why I deserved to be given this life to live. It wasn't to be alone. Complex words from a child that can't learn from the mistakes of his past. Anxiety takes over as I delve deeper into my own psyche. Will I ever learn? Will it always be this hard? Questions only answerable by ones will to live. Awkwardness. Inescapably cemented into my sub conscious. My other me.

I'm talking to myself? Although I'm talking to others... I'm really having a conversation within my own brain. Electrons beaming signals and all I can do is copy them. I love to look into the future, the thought of what to come is enough to place my self into a dream world of wishful thinking. When really the potential to overcome it all and grasp to more than ideals and beliefs but to life itself was there all along. I just lost it... how do I get it back? No its far easier not to worry.

Excuses, reasons not to be. Its too hard. Whats the point? Because it is me. I wish to be therefore I am. But at this point rather, therefore I can. I know I can. Just give me a chance. Let me be me, I can be happy. I'm not afraid of failure. Just let me try. I think i cant, I think I cant, I think I cant, but I think YOU can. That is.. I look to the idea that I have the potential to imprint my life into this planar existence because it is all that I know. What else do we have besides that? Inner peace and happiness? The love of another?

Why not an abstract then? The love of progressive thought. As long as you thrive to better oneself each day then isn't that good enough?
    Questions without answers...

Can I even live up to my own expectations of myself? Or will I fall victim to my own bad habits and flaws. Riveted with excuses that may or may not hold bearing. One or the other matters not. Oh god I'm talking like I'm Yoda... Does that mean I'm a Jedi? Do I think too highly of myself? I was born on christmas... perhaps im the next coming. Woah, that is WAY too much pressure. Do I think too highly of myself?

Awake... always a paralyzing euphoric message. Stop depending on those around you and cling to the life you are lucky enough to possess. Stop asking for help and stand up already. Punch through to the other side. It seems so unbelievably close. I can grasp it, I can maneuver it, why cant I be it? ....Awake.

You don't need the approval of others but the approval of yourself.

What had begun as reflections of Evangelion's impact on me, turned into reflections of myself. Too quickly almost. So I bring this brain spit, this philosophical circling around the ageless, ever present, ultimate cliche question of; "Why am I here?" To the stoop of asking others for help. The truth remains it is only myself I can look to. I need someone to negate it, that someone is the beast within me. Maybe it can help me if I let it out.

I would've made my own topic but I find that the irony of posting it in this thread is at least worth a cheap smile.

I leave this last statement clearly to mark my existence... So at least you'll know I tried. Its not that I hated contact with others, I'm just protecting myself. Me me me me me, so worried about my own well being. As shameful as it is, I do things for myself, I think for myself... therefore I only deserve myself. Until I can tap into what I'm sure is there, I'll always remain stagnant, unchanging and without resolve.

What will you choose? To deny me and my proof of being like everyone else? Perhaps see me as an abstract? A flickering light in the chain? Or of a dimmed one in a world full of brights?
    Last edited by Kagemane_no_Jutsu; Sun, 11-30-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Do you....want a response? Or are you posting just to have someone listen?

He does say he's asking for help. Now the question is, can we help him?

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Well, you'd be surprised how much it helps people to have someone that will just listen to them, rather than trying to tell them what they should have done, or what they should do. Maybe Kage will make his intentions clearer.

Im not sure why I even posted it to be honest. Considering I more or less wrote myself a letter. I wouldn't know how to respond to such a thing myself

did I get my point across?

oh.. yeah it was pretty unclear I didn't end it well I suppose :P

Im asking myself for help. i just stuck it in here cause of the irony. feel free to delete it if its troublesome.

maybe if I can identify with someone or maybe a lot of http://giftedkids.about.com/gi/dynam...ert/index.html someones, I might not feel like such a loner
    Last edited by Kagemane_no_Jutsu; Mon, 12-01-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Well, if you want to identify with introverts, you shouldn't have a problem here. Just speaking from experience, a lot of extroverts get bored with online forums really quickly, preferring to interact with others in person. However, forums naturally suit those of us who are introverted, because it allows us to limit our interaction with others in doses that we control, and gives us a chance to think carefully over our words, rather than being pressured to respond right away as happens in regular conversation.

Here's my response to your letter to yourself:

I've had many similar monologues with myself. And usually in about as chaotic and fragmented a form as you've written yours (and all very vaguely unspecific so that in case anyone ever found my journal there wouldn't be anything that would connect it with specific people or events....I'm weirdly paranoid like that).

Even now, I've rewritten what I think should be the next sentence 3 times because although I have no problems being open with other people and sharing my happiness with others, I don't like anyone to see my struggles and my doubts, and some of the things you wrote resonate with me in that respect. Some things I have found answers to, but others still haunt my thoughts.

I will say though (and this is as much advice to myself, as it is to you), don't stop depending on others. Be independent, yes, but know that the people around you can and will give you support. It's a harder thing to choose to rely on others when you know you could get along on your own. Never underestimate the power of helping others to transform yourself, and dramatically shift your entire perspective.

damn that shit sounds psychotic now that I'm readin it high. I think i'm bein philosophical, lmao... Im just picking apart at my flaws and magnifying them. i may be introspective but you can tell i didnt plan that one out haha

eva made it cool to be psychotic for a minute. never gonna watch all the episodes in a day ever.... again.

im a crazy fucker without some bud in my system?
    also an unanswerable question. lol

kitkat, nice to have someone relate to. youre my angelrrr, hero. ;P
    most are rarely as real and open as that in real life, youre kinda cool I guess.
    Last edited by Kagemane_no_Jutsu; Mon, 12-01-2008 at 02:08 AM.

I'm looking for a program to run on Windows XP Pro SP2 that performs the same function as the inbuilt "blank screensaver-> password on resume".

I want something that'll let me lock the computer down, letting it do my preset tasks undisturbed, be it downloading, encoding etc, but for various reasons, I'd prefer if my "Buffalobiian" user account isn't passworded itself (which is required for the screensaver function).

Anybody ever used one or got one handy?

(Edit: I'd like the program to only password lock direct keyboard/mouse input, but leave network commands/traffic totally unhindered. Some running programs I'd wish to control remotely via laptop without trouble).
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 12-20-2008 at 10:23 AM.

Junior
    This thread is for help on anything right? ^^;

I've recently been trying to get all the chapters of the Persona 3 manga but I can't figure out what order it goes in. I've got up to Piece 10 and then some random chapters titled 'chapter 17/18/whatever' and then 'Perspectives'.

I have no idea what order to read it in or if I'm missing chapters. (I think I'm missing, because it jumps around too much)

So, can anyone tell me...the order? D=