Thread: Help with subtitles for ogm file

Help with subtitles for ogm file

Edit: okay, i just found out that i need an ssa file, the subtitle file, but the batch torrent didnt come with it. does anybody know if angel sanctuary from anime4ever has an ssa file?

first, i have an ogm file that im trying to play. second, i already installed cccp. the video comes out fine and i can switch the audio between english and japanese, but i cant get the subtitles on. according to properties, it says the video codec is directvobsub(auto-loading version). and if it matters, cccp insurgent says that i have directvobsub AND directvobsub(auto-loading version). what should i do?

and on a seperate note, does media player classic really playback videos better than other players, like window media player 10?
    Last edited by kippykinkel; Sat, 08-12-2006 at 04:42 AM.

use VLC media player
    http://www.videolan.org/

it should work then

I'm official.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    VLC is a good alternative, but z-player should have been bundled in with cccp, and handles OGM better in my experience, so that might be worth a shot. You probably don't need a .ssa file though ... it's probably an srt (subrip format -- it has no style support and 1 or 2 significant digits less accurate timing). But it's also probably muxed into the ogm already. Any DVD ripper who is packaging ogm files and can't figure out how to mux in the sub stream is a complete failure and not worth the time or effort . a4e is usualy better than that, so you probably already have what you need.

Before you start jumping to other players though, check your systray, look for the directvobsub systray icons and see if you can right-click them and interact with things that way. Sometimes you've just got to tell directvobsub that it should actually be rendering those subtitles instead of just knowing they're there.

As far as playback quality goes ... media player classic is pretty lightweight and feature-rich, but I've encountered some pretty odd (and apparently pretty uncommon) rendering issues with it, involving how it actually draws video to the framebuffer. I like mpc's interface more, in general, but I've found myself using windows media player 9 for normal avi files (I think wmp 10 blows interface-wise, 9's at least usable) and zoomplayer for mkv. ogm, and anything windows media player decides it doesn't want to play the way I want it to play.