Thread: BT Download Rates

cookie.

BT Download Rates

i was just wondering what rates are u guys getting?

since the speed im getting range from 0~25kb/s T___T; w/ 6 seeds+ and 60peers+ its tooo sloww

how do i fix this? ><

is because im using bit comet? i do hav all my ports unblocked.. btw

thanks you

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Well at first I looked at this and a few things made me not want to say anything at all (However during the Coin flip on IRC el_boss won it and told me to help, so thank him)

Basically there are may ways of getting faster speeds but it depends on many factors, First faster speeds will come as more peers start uploading and downloading as well you can't connect to everyone at one time as you and others are sharing small packets of the information. You may have information already that another is trying to send you so that peer is giving you null, this is why your speed may decrease as the total percent goes up. Now all thus uploading and downloading has it's effect too, your ISP, Your router, and your computer all have a part to play in the speed of your connection. If you have a rounter it can block the incoming and outgoing port, this causes ALOT of loss in connection resulting in very slow times, however it may also be the ISP's network not being local to the peers your downloading from. what I suggest is if you have a router go to www.portforward.com and fix it up, if not then find out why there as well with a speed test if thats normal then your just have to wait for the download.

Also,

NEVER EVER HAVE ALL YOUR PORTS OPEN AT ONE TIME!
    Last edited by Deadfire; Sat, 07-29-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    image fail!

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    DF: you're totally incoherent. Go back to bed

Let's make it a bit clearer. Things that affect torrent speeds:
    (1) Is your connection set up correctly? (ports forwarded correctly if you're using a router, software firewall set up to allow the client to listen, etc). That'd be the whole portforward.com info there.
    (2) ISP shaping. It's possible that your isp might throttle traffic to a certain port. If you're using the "standard" ports, try changing them to something else ... usually something in the 10,000-30,000 range is a good bet. Make sure you open up the port on your router/firewall as well.
    (3) Upload choking. If your upstream capacity is saturated, it'll crowd out the "ack" traffic from your download. Most home users are on very asymmetric connections, so this becomes a real issue. Try lowering the upload cap on your client a couple of KB/sec, and seeing if this helps alleviate the problem.
    (4) Tracker doesn't like you. If you're not sharing much, the tracker will de-prioritize you. If you've got too many available streams (ie: you're running lots of uploads at once) and they're particularly slow, this can cause a lot of clients to think you're overcommitting and stalling, and so they'll tell the tracker that. Then the tracker stops directing lots of traffic your way, and other clients snub you, and you're boned. If you're running a large number of upload streams, try turning it down ... you should be able to have 1-2KB/sec or more per stream, to make things minimally happy.
    (5) Swarm is slow. With a seeds/peers ratio of 1:10, it's unlikely that the swarm is going to be fast, 'cause more likely than not those peers are downloading lots of other stuff, and the seeds are on normal cable/dsl connections and don't have a whole lot of upstream either. This is pretty common, and there's not much you can do about it, except be patient.
    (6) You're just starting. Before you get a couple pieces going and sharing yourself, it takes a while for the tracker to toss you any data at all. I've seen it take as much as 10-15 minutes to get a first piece, and then you can start uploading and actually participating, and things get better.
    (7) Swarm's routing to you is slow. If you're on a swarm that's mostly populated by Europeans and you're in the US (or vice versa), individual streams to you will tend to be slower. Geographic concerns are still a pretty big factor, as trans-oceanic fiber is expensive to upgrade.

cookie.
    thanks for replying..

i have my ports unblocked.. of course not all of them.. only the ones needed..

apparently BitComet isnt supported anymore, T___T I've switched to azureus and it seem to work fine now.. thanks again