Thread: cannot delete ffdshow.ax nor ac3filter.ax

cannot delete ffdshow.ax nor ac3filter.ax

i uninstalled all my previous codecs to install the cccp. ive noticed that the files ffdshow.ax and ac3filter.ax are left behind after uninstalling them and i cannot delete them. help?

You have to unregister them first. The exact command line I don't know, but it shouldn't be too hard to look up as I've done it before myself.

freaky

okay i was able to delete the files, but i did not unregister them. i changed their file names to something different then changed it back to the original and was able to delete them. will this cause some weird freaky codec error or is it all right?

If there are problems, install AC3Filter and ffdshow, then uninstall and unregister.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    This should help

Problem: The player crashes with an exception pointing to ffdshow.ax when you open video files.

Solution: Sometimes, FFDShow or packs that install it will "forget" a ffdshow.ax file somewhere on your computer. A common problem when you have this issue is the player crashing with an exception pointing to ffdshow.ax. To get rid of the old ffdshow, you have to find it, unregister it and delete it. Like so:

1. Go to Start -> Find -> Files or folders...
    2. Search for ffdshow.ax on your local harddrives.
    3. If you find it anywhere else than in your Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters directory, take note of the full path.
    4. Go to Start -> Run... and type regsvr32 /u "X:\path\somewhere\ffdshow.ax" - of course substituting the path for the one on your computer. Note that if ffdshow.ax is in your WinNT\system32 directory, you don't need to specify the path (ie, just type regsvr32 /u ffdshow.ax).
    5. Now delete the ffdshow.ax file.
    6. If you found multiple ffdshow.ax's outside your CCCP\Filters directory, repeat these instructions once for each file.
    7. Playback should now work.

As for ac3filter.ax, same thing or leave it alone or try to do what BoC has said
    Last edited by Deadfire; Sun, 06-25-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    image fail!

Too darn lazy to login, so just lurking in the shadows instead.
    to delete something that Windows say it is still running, use Unlocker to unlock it, and be able to delete it
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
    quite useful