Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Hmm... It certainly was quite unique and had lots of great moments, but I can't say I like this show as much as most of you. I did appreciate the wacky atmosphere and the strong characters, for those I much appreciate, but the very thing, the cameraman's comments, that Masa so loved almost made me stop watching the first ep halfway through. And that same trait continued in the normal episodes. Now I'm half the time not sure when Kyon is talking out aloud or only thinking silently something. The whole narrator feeling puts me off.

Well, despite the lone fact that clashes with my tastes, this series is easily good enough to warrant watching also in the future. And of course I want to see what new lunatic plans Haruhi can come up with.

Was rewatching ep 3 so I could see the ending dance again (I need psychiatric help...) and I noticed that asahina makes referance to "this time plane" after her mock molestation. This got me thinking, perhaps the zany movie we saw is more than just some crazy garbage Haruhi thought up. With Nagato's confession, the current absense of the 5th member, the statements about a "suspicious transfer student" and what I just mentioned, perhaps there''s some underlying weirdness going on that the movie gave clues too. Just a thought I had as I tried desparately to learn that awesome dance routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukimura
    Was rewatching ep 3 so I could see the ending dance again (I need psychiatric help...) and I noticed that asahina makes referance to "this time plane" after her mock molestation. This got me thinking, perhaps the zany movie we saw is more than just some crazy garbage Haruhi thought up. With Nagato's confession, the current absense of the 5th member, the statements about a "suspicious transfer student" and what I just mentioned, perhaps there''s some underlying weirdness going on that the movie gave clues too. Just a thought I had as I tried desparately to learn that awesome dance routine.
    I feel Haruhi will be one of those series you'll need to rewatch from start to end (without long brakes?) to fully understand everything.
    Those pointers you give are certainly interesting.

And yeah... that dance is addicting...

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    hot off the presses from a.f.k.

AFK - Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi 4- avi-

left us with a pretty big cliffhanger last time. let's see where they take it...
    Last edited by masamuneehs; Fri, 04-28-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

This was a great episode, but story wise it seems like they skipped a couple of episodes. I think that the show itself is setup this way, like the next episode will probably explain what happened before this current episode, at least I wish it does.

Gotta love Haruhi petting and then biting Mikuru's ear.

Given the information in this eps, let's see if we can get this straight:
    Mikuru Asahina - time traveller of some sort (obvious enough from her lines in this eps).
    Yuki Nagato - a space alien/witch with tremendous powers.
    The other guy (also featured in the movie) - I'm guessing he's a space hero?
    Haruhi Suzumiya - apparently when she's bored or unhappy, she opens up a portal to some "other space" filled with monsters.
    Kyon - a normal guy tossed into this and apparently a key Haruhi's mood.

This is what I'm guessing anyway.

The titles of the eps (Melancholy I, II, III; Boredom I) match the names of the novels. So the next eps should return to the previous timeline as the preview indicated. Here's a url with the names of the novels and some other information from a.f.k.'s channel. Haruhi novels, story titles, and anime eps

(@Bud: ) Aye, those were my thoughts exactly. In fact I twice checked the previous episode to make sure I had watched it, and watched it all the way through, before I finally yielded and accepted it's just the structure of the series. Well, it didn't bother as much after that, just felt a bit strange.

Nevertheless, it was a good episode, and the characters remained faithful to their peculiar traits. And somehow I think this might not have been the last time, either, we see Haruhi using Mikuru to advance her plots... It feels like a trademark already.

Yeah I love this series without a doubt everything seems well thought out and there don’t seem to be any of those anime short cuts that drag out things to save time or money, it would be a blessing if all anime could share some of the qualities of this show. As for the whole foreshadowing missing episodes time skip or what ever. After watching the episode I was left with some questions but they are things I hope to see answered over the course of the show rather then things that I feel need to be answered right this second.

Ya know I just noticed while they wear practicing that when Kyon went to help Mikuru she warned him about being nice to her again, and that when Kyon and the other guy wear talking about Haruhi’s mood that he said it was related to Kyon. I wonder if something happened wear Haruhi got jealous of Kyon being nice to Mikuru and the world almost blew up or something. Also the part wear she was putting Mikuru’s hair up and Haruhi noticed Kyon looking she looked kinda mad or when Kyon got mad at her for giving Mikuru weird signals she looked mad, and right after that is when the weird guy started talking about closed whatever. Wonder what it’s all about
    Last edited by NeoBear; Tue, 04-25-2006 at 07:13 PM.

And the plot thickens, I laughed pretty much non stop this episode, to the point that I wasn't mad about all the missing story that I hope will be explained in later episodes. Whererver or whenever Mikuru is from they apparently don't teach people anything though, because that girl is as dumb as an empty box, though it just makes her all the more loveable.
    It does seem interesting that Kyon seems totally okay with all the weird stuff that goes on around him, like 'closed space', Yuki's magic and Mikuru's Mikuruness while Haruhi appears to be completely oblivious to everything weird that's going on around her. Seems like Kyon is leading the life she wants so badly instead of her.

it wasn't until the end of the episode when they announced the title of the next episode (and when kyon mentioned things were out of order) did i realize that i did not in fact, miss an episode.

i think this show is going to do that a lot, jump around in the series without explaining why or even mentioning that it is. but given the rest of the show, i think it works perfectly.

this awesome series one might find it hard to understand,but it's really a great one...should u need more explanation on this,u can:
    =SPOILERS(i think it is...)=
    read the novel...it has a translated version in here

Im at a loss for words...

Ep 4 just was awesome.
    And when each of them (Yuki, Mikuru and the other guy) started to talk about their own uniqueness (or show in Yuki's case) I was like... WTF?? when did this happen?

Oh yeah... the flashback to the monster world was like... huh?

I laughed so hard when Yuki incantated the bat...

But seriously i was... huh?

PS:
    Did I ever mentioned I love the ending?

Holy shyt! Excellent stuff. Just watched all four episodes and was wondering if I was missing some episodes. This anime is great, I'm really hoping its more than 14 episodes. And I don't mind hte story skipping due to the nature of the show, But I hope they address it later on. The Characters rule. Nuff said.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    One of your greatest posts. Downloading now.
    Will comment later.

Edit: Holy crap, Excellent episode =D. The beginning was o.0.....

But the rest of the episode I laughed my a** off. "Hooray Haruhi...you even got people calling you god now" Classic! My god the ending is addictive, and what was that sound Haruhi made in the next episode preview........

Anyway, awesome episode, watch it asap.
    Edit: Sorry for double post.......
    Last edited by Munsu; Tue, 05-02-2006 at 03:12 PM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

I must say, the intro of this anime is one of the most original intros I have seen. Kind of weird, but at the same time intriguing. It draws you into the anime.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sheva
    this awesome series one might find it hard to understand,but it's really a great one...should u need more explanation on this,u can:
    =SPOILERS(i think it is...)=
    read the novel...it has a translated version in here
    Holy damn, thanks so much for that link! I read through chapter 6 of the novels just now, and I gotta say, I'm liking this series more and more. I haven't yet watched episodes 4 or 5, but after reading/hearing about them, it seems that if you read through volume 1 of the novel, some shit about episode 4 will make a lot more sense. This is all due to the anime's skipping around chronologically.

It also looks like episode 6 doesn't follow directly after episode 5, either. That's too bad, because after Koi's, Mikuru's, and Yuki's confessions, some more weird and exciting stuff is gonna happen. Ah, plot twists!

I am slightly disappointed that the show seems to be heading into a weird sci-fi plot though. At first I thought it was a wacky comedy, then I thought it was a wacky high school drama, and now that all these fantasy/paranormal elements are showing up, the series has lost a bit of its charm for me. If we assume that the other 3 members of the SOS Brigade are telling the truth, that just makes this show another "Normal-kid-has-his-world-tipped-upside-down-by-paranormal-events" science fiction series. It's a bit...cliche. But hey, this show has thrown me for a loop twice so far, so maybe even that assumption is wrong. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's all really interesting.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Wed, 05-03-2006 at 12:54 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

One intriguing fact that became evident after the mysterious transfer student's speech is the puzzle of Kyon's identity. Of course it's probably wise to be critical about what the esper said, but if you assume what he said is true, to an extent, and actually also considering the time traveler and alien, then either Kyon isn't an ordinary student or Haruhi isn't interested in just weird things. Haruhi at the very least scouted out the other weirdos, or if the esper is right, created them. So why would Kyon be there amongst a god, an alien, a time traveller, and an esper? Or is it simply so that to have anything strange, you absolute need something that can be classified as perfectly ordinary to be an object of comparison.

Well, of course the 4th episode already explained that Kyon is the key to Haruhi's moods, but that sounds just lame. He could also be just a technical fact to make the series work like it does with a critical observer (narrator), but that would be strange script writing, if other things in the world are so carefully planned.

Kyon is really the key to everything. He gave the cold, unsociable Haruhi the opening. He approached her, and pulled her out actively. Then, he of course made the suggestion that if she didn't like any of the clubs, she should just make her own, which of course set her off. She was no longer the introverted oddball, she was the insane hyperactive Haruhi we know and love. Instead of waiting for aliens and time travellers and espers to stumble upon her, she's actively looking for them.

Koizumi tells Kyon that Haruhi is a god, that she creates the world, or at least some of the "Agency" think that way. And so, an alien, a time traveller, and an esper are shoved into the SOS Brigade.

But I think that what Haruhi really wants is Kyon. He's always the one that has to be involved in her latest escapade. He's the one that does all the paperwork, he has to take the pictures, he's the clean up hitter. Notice how incredibly irritated she gets in this eps when he falls asleep and blows her off at the library, and when the two of them aren't paired either time. You must think "If she's making everything and wanted to be with him, why didn't it just happen?" She still was leaving it up to chance, so it went that way, and she was ultimately irritated by the result.