Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

If you build it around 2500K, I don't think you need to ever worry about the muscles for decoding video unless you plan to permanently keep it underclocked. But on the other hand, that's exactly why you should build it around something which gives enough power. Otherwise you might face the need to upgrade sooner than necessary, wasting money, if the video world comes up with something else even more stupid than Hi10p.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    well Hi10p isn't stupid per se, it's just that nobody ever thought of using the standard for computer coding/decoding hardware...
    So people wake-up to the simple truth it has always been there ever since the avent of the H264 norm.
    But it's true that a simple i5, although quite expensive, should give me some headroom for 3-4 years and then a simple GPU of the time might be able to extend the lifespan another 3 years. It's too much of a time period to guess what the video world might come with. Although 4k and 8k standards are there already. But for anime that will clearly be overkill, as is 1080 for screens up to 42 inches.
    Since I can wait some months, January rebates will come in handy I guess.
    Thanks

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

It's not stupid as technology, yes, but I'll be calling it stupid as long as video cards capable of decoding h264 can't decode it as well. It's somewhat counter-productive in my opinion to switch to a new format right when you could state most people (worth their skin), could hardware decode video. Also keeping in mind BDs are based on the 8-bit h264 and only a techno freak would call BDs obsolete at this point.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Mods over the xmas holidays:

-Bought the fanduct for the thermalright heatsink.
    -took out the fan on the cpu heatsink
    -applied accoustic foam to the inside of the case
    -de-rivetted part of the case and took out the HDD drive cage and housing
    -Placed my two HDDs into some of these 5.25"-mountable noise-cancelling enclosures
    -Placed sorbothane discs between the HDDs and each other, the case floor
    -Placed SSD on top with blu-tak underneath it.

I wasn't comfortable with the heat build-up of the CPU (hits the low 90C range), so I put a fan back on the front of the CPU heatsink. Having a push-pull config across it didn't do it any good compared to the original setup though, so I just got rid of the tube alltogether. There was also some HDD noise that I didn't like, and concluded that I wasn't using enough sorbothane to absorb the vibrations with. I ordered a big slab online but found a cheaper workaround after that. I migrated all the original discs to slip in between the two HDD enclosures, then supported the entire thing with a giant slab of foam.

Also took the opportunity to replace the cut-up rubber bands that I have sat in between the heatsink fans (CPU and GPU) and the heatsink to reduce vibrations. Rubber bands harden, dry up and go shitty so I applied the same concept with some nylon wire I had left over from the previous suspension mount idea.

I can't say any of the acoustic foam or the HDD enclosures are effective enough to recommend. They cost a shitload too. Doesn't mean I won't consider it again in a new build though. (won't buy the enclosures though.. reusing is as far as I'd go.)

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I have an ATI HD6950 unlocked to 6970 that runs games on high settings with no problem and on ultra settings with some lag. Assuming I can find another 6950 to unlock at around $300 and crossfired them, would the performance be better than with a single 6990 or 7000 series card?
    Last edited by Animeniax; Sun, 01-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Most certainly not.
    -----------------

Remember this?

To explain further what had happened with the old PC; the rust stains spread over the chassis, onto the Creative X-Fi soundcard and the motherboard had to go also. It came with a presumably faulty HDD so I had to replace that too.

The List:

Coolermaster Centurion 534 Chassis
    Coolermaster iGreen Power 500W PSU
    Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Processor
    Coolermaster Hyper L3 Cooler
    Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X1024-6400C4 RAM
    Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX RAM
    Asus EN9600GT/HTDI/512M Graphics Card
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB HDD*
    Lite-on LH-16D1P (Black) DVD-Rom
    Lite-on LH-20A1H (Black) DVD-RW
    TEAC 3,5" Diskette Drive 1,44MB (Black) / 8 in 1 Cardreader

Replacements:

Cooler Master Elite 430 Window (Black) Chassis
    Asus P5QC LGA775 Intel P45 DDR2/DDR3 Motherboard
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EZRX, 1TB HDD

A total cost of €187.99 with the WD HDD costing most.

*It seemed after formatting, the Hitach HDD was working fine after all. 1.5TB up and running.

A couple of photos:

IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    Last edited by Killa-Eyez; Fri, 05-18-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.

I have an Intel Q6600 I could ship you for free, but international shipping is beaucoup dollary doos. I'm not entirely sure it works though.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Killa-Eyez View Post
    Yeah, a 3,5" diskette drive is a must in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I have an Intel Q6600 I could ship you for free, but international shipping is beaucoup dollary doos. I'm not entirely sure it works though.
    Lolwut? Shiii-, I'll pay int. shipping fees, if the offer still stands and you're willing to test it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Yeah, a 3,5" diskette drive is a must in this day and age.
    It's all-in-one. See last pic.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.

Lolwut? Shiii-, I'll pay int. shipping fees, if the offer still stands and you're willing to test it still works.
    The computer that this CPU was the heart of stopped POSTing, and I couldn't determine if it was the CPU or the motherboard that caused the problem. I sent the mobo back to Asus and they supposedly found no problems with it, but when their support returned it there were some damaged pins in the socket that I hadn't noticed before (might have been there or they might have caused the damage). I don't have another LGA775 motherboard to test the CPU with. I'll fire up the computer this weekend and see if I can say for sure that the CPU is good.

Allright. You could also sent the mobo back again now you know there is something wrong with it.

Allright. You could also sent the mobo back again now you know there is something wrong with it.
    That's assuming it's still under warranty after all this time. But even still... it won't do him much good if he's sending the CPU to you..

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    That's assuming it's still under warranty after all this time. But even still... it won't do him much good if he's sending the CPU to you..
    Goes without saying that he'd keep his set up. But indeed, assuming it's still under warranty.

Nah, not worth it. As good a company as Asus is product-wise, their support is pretty shitty. You have to pay for shipping the part to them and like I said, I think they damaged the board themselves. Also, I think it's out of its 3 year warranty.

I searched for a replacement mobo on ebay but they all cost ~$100. I upgraded an i7-930 setup instead.

Aight. Keep in touch bro.

Alright, the motherboard is messed up, as the socket pin damage makes it impossible to test the CPU. I can't get a new mobo to test it with, so it you want it let me know and I'll check shipping prices. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Alright, the motherboard is messed up, as the socket pin damage makes it impossible to test the CPU. I can't get a new mobo to test it with, so it you want it let me know and I'll check shipping prices. Sorry to get your hopes up.
    It's okay. If the CPU doesn't show any burnmarks from short circuits you can check shipping fees. I'll decide then if it's worth it (it probably will).

Crucial has some mSATA SSDs going for cheap. When you're looking at the bigger 256GB model, it's running for less than $1 per GB. Just slap the drive into an adapter or use some mSATA->SATA cables and it should be good to go for anyone wanting an SSD but has been put off by the price.

http://www.crucial.com/search/search...keywords=msata

edit: while the above's the regular price for the Crucial, Amazon is also discounting the samsung 830 at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-Se.../dp/B005T3GPXY
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Mon, 07-23-2012 at 09:22 PM.

I'm not fully sold on SSDs. I have one and it's great for boot speed, but not much else that makes it worth the cost. Read/write access times are better but hardly noticeable except with benchmark programs. And the biggest problem is the controllers available for SSDs. I have both a Marvell and Intel controller and both cause random lockups from loss of detection of the SSD. It's a known issue, particularly with the Marvell controller. So far, firmware and driver updates haven't fully resolved the problem.