Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Customized computer?

Yeah that's the main reason I went with a pre-packaged AIO cooler instead of buying each part separately for a custom water cooling setup. I really didn't want to do all the research for which pump is most reliable and quiet, which fans have the best noise to cfm ratio, which radiator/tubes/fittings to use. I'm not that serious into overclocking (my 2.8 930 is running at 4.0).

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The Samsung Evo SSDs became available through an online retailer here, and damn they're cheap. Inside myself I have a small voice shouting "Damn it!" since I bought a 840pro not too long ago, but overall I don't regret it since I didn't know. Cheaper SSDs is also a good sign for my future purchases, though I sure hope it won't have to be soon.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I installed a Samsung 840Pro on my newest build, it's the best component of a system that includes an i7-4770 and GX770 4GB. System boots to login screen in 20 seconds and fully into desktop at 35 seconds.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Jounin
    I got a Corsair Force GT Series 3 120 GB over a year ago and it's been working awesome. And i only have Sata-300. But i have been thinking of getting a OCZ Revodrive 3 PCI-E x4 SSD 120 GB. A guy said he booted up Win 7 in 7 seconds. Any of you have any experience with PCI-E SSDs? Would it be worth the 3x price to get the speed upgrade? Or should i just keep with my Force GT and wait for when i upgrade CPU and MB so i get Sata-600?

7 seconds from power on to Windows? Or 7 seconds from POST completion to Windows? Considering the pricing is lower than SATA SSD drives, I'm surprised at the performance. Is it because of modularity/flexibility of the standalone SATA drives?

When I turn on my computer, I bet I need to look at the bios info screens for longer than 7 seconds... After that Win7 boots and all the programs launch so fast even with my older generation Samsung 830 that I wouldn't really need anything more. Waste of money, I'd say, for a home computer. Some enterprise solutions would of course be a different story. If the 120GB is your only SSD, you should, instead of the fancy PCIe thing, get another, bigger regular SSD so that all of your games and such would also run from SSD. That Samsung EVO would probably be a perfect and cheap solution for a secondary SSD. I wouldn't personally use it as the primary disk of my desktop, although in my laptop it would do, considering the laptop sees far less use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ani
    Considering the pricing is lower than SATA SSD drives, I'm surprised at the performance. Is it because of modularity/flexibility of the standalone SATA drives?
    Where are you getting these prices? Of the old-gen OCZ PCI-E cards, or their latest ones? Their latest ones are around 3x more expensive than a SATA drive of comparable storage size, like Twist said.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist
    I got a Corsair Force GT Series 3 120 GB over a year ago and it's been working awesome. And i only have Sata-300. But i have been thinking of getting a OCZ Revodrive 3 PCI-E x4 SSD 120 GB. A guy said he booted up Win 7 in 7 seconds. Any of you have any experience with PCI-E SSDs? Would it be worth the 3x price to get the speed upgrade? Or should i just keep with my Force GT and wait for when i upgrade CPU and MB so i get Sata-600?
    Not all motherboards support booting from a PCI-E storage device. You'll have to check if yours allows it first. Do you do a lot of heavy file transferring with your drive, or does it benefit mostly from the snappiness and IOP?

If you do use the drive for lots of large file transfers (sequential reads/writes), then you'll benefit from SATA3 upgrade later since it'll raise your cap from around 250MB/s to 500+.

If you're after snappiness (IOP and random writes), there is a theoretical upgrade there going from SATA2 to SATA3 as well, but I don't think you'll notice it much. It won't wow you.

My opinion is the same as Kraco's. With the money I'd look for a larger SSD to put more things on, rather than having something really (but marginally noticeably) fast.

@Kraco: Have you tried to make your BIOS load faster by skipping RAM checks and all? You can also skip the windows logo screen, because by default that icon stays on screen for a certain amount of time, even if your computer is ready for the next step. I used to keep the RAM-checks on, but it has never found a problem anyway, so I ended up getting rid of it for a faster boot. It doesn't matter either way since I use sleep a lot, and when I did have a ram problem back a year ago, the RAM check didn't pick up anything anyway.

edit: Just timed my own boot.

00.00 - pressed button, black screen
    15.23 - black screen shows white words from BIOS
    24.73 - the words "Starting Windows" is shown on the screen (W7).
    45.80 - Start Bar appeared
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 08-21-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    @Kraco: Have you tried to make your BIOS load faster by skipping RAM checks and all? You can also skip the windows logo screen, because by default that icon stays on screen for a certain amount of time, even if your computer is ready for the next step. I used to keep the RAM-checks on, but it has never found a problem anyway, so I ended up getting rid of it for a faster boot. It doesn't matter either way since I use sleep a lot, and when I did have a ram problem back a year ago, the RAM check didn't pick up anything anyway.
    Hmm... The Windows logo has such a minimum time? Although even the default time can't be that long since it shortened considerably after moving from HDD to SSD. I might have a look at that, and disabling some bios stuff at some point (I'm not sure I even have the RAM check on, though. It might be UEFI bios simply is slower). However, as it is now, the loading is already fast enough, after all the HDD years, that ever since I built this new machine I haven't actually felt like I was waiting for the computer to boot. Even the reboots of updating video card drivers don't feel like much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Where are you getting these prices? Of the old-gen OCZ PCI-E cards, or their latest ones? Their latest ones are around 3x more expensive than a SATA drive of comparable storage size, like Twist said.

edit: Just timed my own boot.

00.00 - pressed button, black screen
    15.23 - black screen shows white words from BIOS
    24.73 - the words "Starting Windows" is shown on the screen (W7).
    45.80 - Start Bar appeared
    Yeah I think I was seeing prices for older model Revos. The Revodrive 3 is ridiculously expensive. I'm surprised they cost so much more than a regular SSD. Definitely not worth it in my book.

You have an 840Pro and it takes 45.8 seconds to just get the taskbar in Windows? Must be an older gen 840 because that seems slow. My 35 second full boot on an 840Pro includes a Windows password.

edit: I just timed boot on my i7-930 with OWC Electra 6GB SSD:
    30 seconds to Starting Windows (includes entering a 6 character system password)
    45 seconds to login screen, followed by entering my Windows password
    60 seconds fully booted
    Last edited by Animeniax; Wed, 08-21-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Yeah I think I was seeing prices for older model Revos. The Revodrive 3 is ridiculously expensive. I'm surprised they cost so much more than a regular SSD. Definitely not worth it in my book.

You have an 840Pro and it takes 45.8 seconds to fully boot to Windows? Must be an older gen 840 because that seems slow. My 35 second full boot includes a Windows password.
    I'm under the impression that it's rather new stock. The model number is MZ-7PD256BW. How long does it take for the screen to go from black to words when you boot? I suspect that the long wait time on mine is either due to the BIOS/mobo, or it's due to the the fact that the mobo is waiting for all the HDDs to spin up, which includes two 5.4Krpm drives. The boot drive is on my intel 510 SSD, so there may be some variances there as well.

I'm not at all worried about it either way though. I use sleep all the time, and reboot when the prompts to do so annoy me enough. By far the biggest slow-down in my system is Comodo Internet Security. The HIPS behaviour blocker gets stuck in a loop sometimes when it tries to think about whether or not to flag an unknown process as questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    The Windows logo has such a minimum time? Although even the default time can't be that long since it shortened considerably after moving from HDD to SSD.
    I think my ultrabook said something about that, but this site also mentions it. It's only 2-5 seconds, if they're credible.

edit after reading Ani's edit: hmm.. we're about even then. I've skipped the ram check in mine, mind you. Scanning 12GB of ram does take a while longer.

edit2: nvm, just saw that it's a different system you tested, heh. Maybe I should swap my boot drives around then...

edit3: eh, ultimately it won't matter since both drives contain programs that are necessary for running anyway. The samsung does seem to have a lower write endurance compared to the intel however, and it also has encryption... so it may still be the ideal drive to run the OS off, if you discount reliability being an issue.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 08-22-2013 at 12:20 AM.

I'll have to wait until I'm at work to time my 840Pro again. If you're booting from the Intel SSD then that explains why it's slower. I guess you reserve the 840Pro for applications and games? If so, then having a slower boot time on the Intel SSD is worth it. Also, my 840Pro is 128GB, but I doubt that matters vs the 256GB model.

I'll have to wait until I'm at work to time my 840Pro again. If you're booting from the Intel SSD then that explains why it's slower. I guess you reserve the 840Pro for applications and games? If so, then having a slower boot time on the Intel SSD is worth it. Also, my 840Pro is 128GB, but I doubt that matters vs the 256GB model.
    The intel has the OS, documents, pictures and a handful of programs. The 840pro has a majority of the programs and nearly all the games. BF3 is the only one on the Intel.

Booting isn't affected by 128/256 models. Their only real difference is in the sequential write:

Seq. read: 530/540MB/s
    Seq. write: 390/520MB/s
    Ran. read: 97K/100K IOPs
    Ran. write: 90K/90K IOPs

These are max SATAIII stats, so my SATAII machine would benchmark differently. I don't expect to see much of a practical difference in boot time even if all other variables were controlled however.

I still rely on a regular HDD for storage but OS and all applications are on the SSD. I do have to uninstall games to free up space, but it's not like I'll ever play those games again and I can always just dl them from Steam/Origin/uPlay.

Just tested it again and it's like clockwork, 20 secs to Windows logon screen and 35 to full desktop (Spotify and RealTemp are the only apps that load on startup).

Just tested it again and it's like clockwork, 20 secs to Windows logon screen and 35 to full desktop (Spotify and RealTemp are the only apps that load on startup).
    From pressing the power button 35 secs to full desktop for me a well. That is, the mouse icon isn't anymore indicating loading and the probably slowest part, F-Secure virus scanner/firewall is loaded as well. I tried to type in my rather short password as fast as I could for this measurement. So, without the password prompt my currently single profile setting would obvious be a few seconds faster still.

I should note that my clock was already around 17 secs when the Windows logo finally deigned to appear. So, I reckon tweaking bios settings might make a big difference. For some reason I see the bios advertising itself two times when the machine boots, with a brief black screen between, a behavior I always assumed to be related to uefi somehow.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($80.97 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 ATX FM2 Motherboard ($110.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.00)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $561.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-20 16:07 EST-0500)

Thoughts?

I didn't even know they still sell Athlon II's... But I guess they are cheap. Much cheaper than your mobo of choice, it seems.

You should go for 2x4 memory, though. I won't say much about the other stuff. The CPU is going to be pretty weak, so the GPU is probably a good match. And you might not be upgrading it with that PSU anyway.

I can't help but wonder about the free shipping to your country if you order from the USA. Not to mention you might end up paying tolls and VATs since it's from outside of the EU. Be sure to find out how the warranty works as well.

Depends on what you are building this system for. How much is everything with shipping (to Portugal?), and could you find the same parts for around the same price from the same vendor?

Blog Entries
    You guys are assholes >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Bunch of weird outdated shit.
    You're welcome
    -----------------