Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Overview

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Reputation System Overview

I enabled the reputation system a short while ago, but didn't really configure it until just now, and didn't really explain it to anyone either. So I figured everyone should know how it works and what it does.

Basically, the reputation system is a community-driven user rating system. So if you think a user is a really awesome poster, you would give them a positive reputation hit, or if you think they're the worst thing to happen to the forums, you'd give them a negative rep hit.

You'll have more or less impact based on how your own reputation, your post count, and how long you've been a forum member.

Basically, what all this means is that older, better posters will have more impact than newer, worse ones. At least, if the system works.

The green (or black, or red) boxes in a poster's name indicate their reputation visually, which might be handy.

• For every half-year you've been a member, you get 1 rep power point.
    • For every 150 posts you've made, you get 1 rep power point
    • For every 50 points of reputation you have, you get 1 rep power point.
    • If your reputation is below -20, your rep hits don't count.
    • If your post count is below 25, your rep hits don't count.
    • As an added incentive to use the system, if you accumulate over 5000 reputation points, you'll be able to give yourself a custom title

Some guidelines:
    • Try to give out more positive reputation hits than negative ones.
    • No soliciting rep hits.
    • Don't take it too seriously.
    • Leave comments with your rep hits.

Your feedback is anonymous to the recipient, but admins and mods can see who left it. Don't use reputation as an opportunity to flame people anonymously, or we'll have to lay the smack down on you.

To prevent abuse, you have to rep 15 other people before you can hit the same person again. This should prevent people from giving the same person too much grief or negatively repping them too much.

I'll be fine-tuning the reputation system as I see how well it works, so settings may change.
    Feel free to post any questions or problems with the system in this thread.
    Last edited by complich8; Sat, 03-11-2006 at 02:46 PM.

i take it this is starting from now? everyone has the same rep points at the moment, but technically the veterns should have more and so on shouldnt they?

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

That place over there........ahh never mind
    That seems logical.

I suggest everyone should start clicking my rep button

R.I.P Captain America.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    veterans don't have more rep points, but they have more influence.

Theoretically, as you prove your worth in the forums, you'll build more reputation... but we're not starting veterans out at higher scores or anything.

So yeah, starting from now. In a couple months, if the rep system flies, I think things will be nicely balanced out =D

could you explain what each color means....i see green is unaffected, but ciber's is black and knives's is red, yet it says he has no referrals.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

If I'm reading it right, it probably means someone gave me a negative rep

which turned my box into a black box...

R.I.P Captain America.

I like thie idea, but It is something that I normally wouldn't even think about doing. It's easy to miss too as it sort of looks like the post count meter seen on other forums. I guess we'll have to make a habit of leaving rep points. I imagine until everyone gets used to it, it'll be a slow rise in people's rep. It's cool though.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar
    Yeah, I got this thing under my username that says Warn: (0%). Is that part of the rep thing?

EDIT: NM. It says warning log. But why does mine show and not the others?
    Last edited by Deblas; Sun, 03-12-2006 at 12:09 AM.

You can only view your own warning log, thats why.

Ohh....is that how it works....I've seen that kind of system used at other forums before...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    green is for positive rep. black is zero or disabled (zero in the case of knives, disabled in the case of ciber). red is negative. Everyone starts at +5. The first level threshold is +15. I think it'll probably add a box at +50, the second threshold.

As you get more positive or negative, at certain thresholds you'll get more boxes. It's not just a redlight/greenlight game, it's a meter.

Wilik has an extremely high value, because ... well ... he's wilik. He's sort of a good example of what a high rep value will end up looking like.
    Last edited by complich8; Sun, 03-12-2006 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks for using me as an example

anywho, wouldn't it just be better if we could make that warning bar....oh I don't know, disappear?

R.I.P Captain America.

No chance, we had a warning system on the old forums, so we have a warning system on the new forums.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    There's also a limit on how many Reps you can give out in a 24 hour period (as I just found out...) so spend them wisely.

Also, I was wondering if comp or Wilik would let tell us how the limit on #s of Reps per day is structured. Is it a flat rate for everyone, or does it increase along with your status?

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

so, why do i have a red dot when i have 0 referrals?

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    *sigh*

Referrals are not Reputation. Reputation is other users evaluating the quality of your posts and your general contribution to discussions/forums.

Referrals are totally different (although I believe they do count towards Reputation). You get a referral if you get someone to join the forums here and they write you in as the person who referred you to join.

Your Reputation box is red because you probably got one or more Negative Reps.

Oh, and I'm sure you all know this already, but to give Rep to a user you click on the red button next to 'Off' (grey) or 'On' (red) below the user's avatar. Then you get to choose whether to 'Approve' or 'Disapprove' that user's post, the first adding positive Rep, the latter giving negative Rep and post a comment along with your Rep.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Damn, there could be better color coding. Both buttons are red, this is going to be chaos. Reporting positivity when you meant to report negativity, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    Damn, there could be better color coding. Both buttons are red, this is going to be chaos. Reporting positivity when you meant to report negativity, and vice versa.
    Ok this is how it works, the button labeled 'Rep' is for reputation, the button labeled 'Report' is for reporting spoilers and other things against the rules to a mod/admin. It is very hard to confuse the two since they both have alternative pages after you click the button.

how can i check what my current rep power is?

Edit: nvm, i just clicked my own rep button, and it shows it there.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    from my testing, it appears that the second green box shows up at +100 reputation.

To give some statistics, as of right now, 110 rep hits total have been given. 12 people have received net negative reputations from the start, and nine have fallen below zero.

A gross total of 933 reputation points have been given out, of which 707 have been positive, and 226 negative. I'm pretty happy with that, for the system having been around for like a day and a half .