Thread: Reputation System Overview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Reputation System Overview

I enabled the reputation system a short while ago, but didn't really configure it until just now, and didn't really explain it to anyone either. So I figured everyone should know how it works and what it does.

Basically, the reputation system is a community-driven user rating system. So if you think a user is a really awesome poster, you would give them a positive reputation hit, or if you think they're the worst thing to happen to the forums, you'd give them a negative rep hit.

You'll have more or less impact based on how your own reputation, your post count, and how long you've been a forum member.

Basically, what all this means is that older, better posters will have more impact than newer, worse ones. At least, if the system works.

The green (or black, or red) boxes in a poster's name indicate their reputation visually, which might be handy.

• For every half-year you've been a member, you get 1 rep power point.
    • For every 150 posts you've made, you get 1 rep power point
    • For every 50 points of reputation you have, you get 1 rep power point.
    • If your reputation is below -20, your rep hits don't count.
    • If your post count is below 25, your rep hits don't count.
    • As an added incentive to use the system, if you accumulate over 5000 reputation points, you'll be able to give yourself a custom title

Some guidelines:
    • Try to give out more positive reputation hits than negative ones.
    • No soliciting rep hits.
    • Don't take it too seriously.
    • Leave comments with your rep hits.

Your feedback is anonymous to the recipient, but admins and mods can see who left it. Don't use reputation as an opportunity to flame people anonymously, or we'll have to lay the smack down on you.

To prevent abuse, you have to rep 15 other people before you can hit the same person again. This should prevent people from giving the same person too much grief or negatively repping them too much.

I'll be fine-tuning the reputation system as I see how well it works, so settings may change.
    Feel free to post any questions or problems with the system in this thread.
    Last edited by complich8; Sat, 03-11-2006 at 02:46 PM.

i take it this is starting from now? everyone has the same rep points at the moment, but technically the veterns should have more and so on shouldnt they?

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

That place over there........ahh never mind
    That seems logical.

I suggest everyone should start clicking my rep button

R.I.P Captain America.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    veterans don't have more rep points, but they have more influence.

Theoretically, as you prove your worth in the forums, you'll build more reputation... but we're not starting veterans out at higher scores or anything.

So yeah, starting from now. In a couple months, if the rep system flies, I think things will be nicely balanced out =D

could you explain what each color means....i see green is unaffected, but ciber's is black and knives's is red, yet it says he has no referrals.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

If I'm reading it right, it probably means someone gave me a negative rep

which turned my box into a black box...

R.I.P Captain America.

I like thie idea, but It is something that I normally wouldn't even think about doing. It's easy to miss too as it sort of looks like the post count meter seen on other forums. I guess we'll have to make a habit of leaving rep points. I imagine until everyone gets used to it, it'll be a slow rise in people's rep. It's cool though.

Ohh....is that how it works....I've seen that kind of system used at other forums before...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    green is for positive rep. black is zero or disabled (zero in the case of knives, disabled in the case of ciber). red is negative. Everyone starts at +5. The first level threshold is +15. I think it'll probably add a box at +50, the second threshold.

As you get more positive or negative, at certain thresholds you'll get more boxes. It's not just a redlight/greenlight game, it's a meter.

Wilik has an extremely high value, because ... well ... he's wilik. He's sort of a good example of what a high rep value will end up looking like.
    Last edited by complich8; Sun, 03-12-2006 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks for using me as an example

anywho, wouldn't it just be better if we could make that warning bar....oh I don't know, disappear?

R.I.P Captain America.

No chance, we had a warning system on the old forums, so we have a warning system on the new forums.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    There's also a limit on how many Reps you can give out in a 24 hour period (as I just found out...) so spend them wisely.

Also, I was wondering if comp or Wilik would let tell us how the limit on #s of Reps per day is structured. Is it a flat rate for everyone, or does it increase along with your status?

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

which is worse?

please don't shoot me for the worthless thread but I would like to know. my rating went from "sorta blows" to "needs a couple sharp blows with the cluehammer". is this bad or has my rating gone up? I repeat please don't shoot me, I'm curious

peace

you do need a couple sharp blows with the cluehammer...and dont blame this on your age...

I'm official.

You know that if you open your control panel, right there is a list of the rep hits you have recieved lately, as well as a point total. If there is no green (positive) rep hits, then it probably went down, otherwise it went up.

Edit: Yeah, blame it on your parents, like everyone else does.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

Seriously naruto=pwnage, you keep saying "don't flame me" and "I was just curious" or "I'm only fourteen." But you wouldn't have to say that if you thought a bit and stopped posting pointless posts.

Quote Originally Posted by naruto=pwnage
    please don't shoot me for the worthless thread
    he knows, yet....

EDIT:
    btw, since this thread got moved over here-- I am LOVING this new forum interface! I keep discovering these new quirkly little things that makes my reading the forums really convinient! Example-- that blue carrot button next to a newly-posted thread that'll take you exactly where you had last read <-- GENIUS!

(and the rep system is great. N=P, if I can make sense of it in less than an hour, you should be able to, too)
    Last edited by Honoko; Sun, 04-16-2006 at 10:25 PM.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if theres a bug somewhere but the last three times i tried repping people (different people) i always got this:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /reputation.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

you sure you were logged in at the time? if so, then maybe its just a random bug. the forums were kinda slow yesterday and even went down for a few min, so im guessing your error is probably connected somehow.

yes i'm positive i was logged in, i'm always logged in as long as i'm on gotwoot.