Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Overview

I like the new changes as well. I was wondering if there is any way to require comments for negative rep? The only thing I hate more than a negative rep hit is one without a reason attached to it. I don't know if that's possible, or if you'd have to require coments for both negative and positive rep.

"Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help."

What comes to that, it would be better anyway, if a comment was always required. There needs to be a reason why give reputation of either kind. If the person giving reputation points doesn't know why he's giving them, he shouldn't do it, or stop to figure out why do it in the first place.

I haven't received either kind without a comment, but Ero-Fan is certainly right about the lack of fun with a lack of a comment.

lol, how interesting that my rep power works out to the same.

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

the problem with that is, if someone doesn't want to leave a comment, they can just write random shit likt "kljklajwlkjdklclkbn d,mnlekrjlq".....the system wouldn't be able to tell teh difference, and were back to square one.

Perhaps if all rep points given first had to be approved by mods/admins? that way, people wouldn't be able to give bad rep for no reason, and they'd have to write some sort of comment each time. It would also make the rep system better since people could no longer hand out rep just for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Perhaps if all rep points given first had to be approved by mods/admins? that way, people wouldn't be able to give bad rep for no reason, and they'd have to write some sort of comment each time. It would also make the rep system better since people could no longer hand out rep just for the hell of it
    That would put too much load on the admins...

I say: Leave it the way it is and if someone has a problem with not getting comments they have the priveledge to contact one of the admins and then if the admins want, they can chew out the non-commenting reputator's ass, then once everyone settles into that scheme it'll fade out. Maybe... Maybe I've been smoking way to much marijuana?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Forcing users to leave comments would have the effect that Assassin mentions ... people who didn't want to comment would write garbage. It would have the added effect of discouraging people from using the system.

Moderating (as in approving) the rep hits would be a pain. I've been keeping an eye on who hits what, and have deleted/adjusted a couple of hits that I felt were inappropriate, but for the most part it seems to be fine. Further, making it a moderated medium would remove the direct feeling of influence that people have, and would slow rep distribution quite a bit. I don't think it's a good idea. If I felt that such a thing was necessary -- if the reps were getting too out of hand and problems were happening because of it -- I'd just turn the damned thing back off.

But that's not how I feel about it. People are generally good. Sure, there's some things that happen that you may not feel are appropriate, or may not agree with entirely... but that's the whole "don't take it too seriously" idea!

While the system is in some sense a tool to leave feedback for people, it's also a toy intended to play with and enjoy ... something to encourage participation in general. I like that people are using it, but seriously, don't obsess over it or anything ... just let it slide.

Oh yeah .... if you're seeing particularly bad (inappropriate, for example) comments, drop me a pm.

Angry

@ Ero-Fan : Dont feel bad, have a look at my reputation points.

Summary :

1. I said I am disappointed in how the latest One Pece arc is ending and some wanker decides to give me a bad rep.

2. Would you believe it after posting all those pictures in "Hottest babes in Naruto" thread, I get a bad rep.

3. Good rep : Thanx to whoever did it.

4. "I have too much power". What the fuck is that all about?

5. I deserve that. Everyone who watched Basilisk in this forum owes me.

Moral Of the Story :

If some toss pot wants to give you a bad rep there is nothing you can do about it. The trick is not to be phased by it. Stick to your guns. Say what you think and not be afraid of what others will think. Good or bad, be true to yourself. Thats what I would do.

Fuck' em.

hmm, i'm still confused a bit abouto this rep system, when do you get the second green box?

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Wtf, someone told me "you fuckin suck" for some post I made in the 24 thread..

Fuckin negative nancys. I know it was you splash! You're the only one who hates that show!
    Last edited by The Heretic Azazel; Sat, 03-18-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    Wtf, someone told me "you fuckin suck" for some post I made in the 24 thread..

Fuckin negative nancys. I know it was you splash! You're the only one who hates that show!
    First of all, i am not retarded. If i really wanted to give you a bad rep i would have gone to some other thread and given you a bad rep for something totally different so you couldnt tell that i did it. What the hell do you take me for?? Secondly, i have been careful enough to not swear in any of the reps i have been giving out, so it wasnt me anyways.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    second green box seems to show up about +100. I think the third is +200 and the fourth looks like +300. Same should apply for negatives.

Oh, and I'd refrain from speculating who gave you whatever rep. The last thing we need is rep-related drama on the forums.

so are thre any prizes for people with really low rep? i think i'll be needing it.

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    second green box seems to show up about +100. I think the third is +200 and the fourth looks like +300. Same should apply for negatives.

Oh, and I'd refrain from speculating who gave you whatever rep. The last thing we need is rep-related drama on the forums.
    I can see it now: "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our reps."

R.I.P Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by complich8

Thats pretty odd. you dont know for sure?

mage, why would there be a prize for being a shitty poster? no offence but the only prize for good posters is a custom title at 5000 points. Why should someone who spams a lot or makes bad remarks every chance he gets get a prize too? its not like its a competition where you get a consolation prize for being the worst

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo

mage, why would there be a prize for being a shitty poster? no offence but the only prize for good posters is a custom title at 5000 points. Why should someone who spams a lot or makes bad remarks every chance he gets get a prize too? its not like its a competition where you get a consolation prize for being the worst
    I think he was being sarcastic. I like the idea of reputations, but some people just hate each other, so theres no way stopping them give negative points just out of spite.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo
    Yeah, pretty much.

I can set where the thresholds for caption changes happen, and what they are. But I can't set the thresholds for the boxes.

I could experiment by setting the rep on a test user to some arbitrary value, but it doesn't auto-update until the next actual rep hit happened to them. So I could test it, but it'd be annoying and I'd get bored very quickly (which is actually what happened).

So yeah, I guess the answer is ... we'll see, right?

Don't be an ass and give negative rep just for having a conflicting opinion to someone else's post.

But more importantly, don't do it to the guy with the greatest rep power, especially when he has the means of finding out who did it
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

lol, so basically your saying your going to get back at everybody who negative reps you? or just the people who do it for pointless reasons.

note...to...self...dont...negative...rep...assertn .

Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    Welllll, that sounds kind of ominous. I bet you'll have people kissing your ass all day long now
    Well, I guess my joke a couple pages back holds some ground now, so who ever gave me a negative rep on that joke back then, because it "didn't make sense", if you don't get it now, you're a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    I know it was you splash! You're the only one who hates that show!
    lmao

And yeah, it's pretty cool to know who gives out what rep.
    It's just a shame that my hit power is so low... otherwise... mwah hah!