Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Overview

At other forums I never paid any attention to these rep systems at all, but now when it was introduced here I noticed the comment system that goes alongside it (because it was mentioned in this thread). That makes it much more worthwhile. They make very nice jokes.

I actually started giving rep as a joke, and today somebody also returned the favor. This is a wonderful opportunity to keep your wits sharp, as it's not enough to simple read posts, but you must also think if they could be twisted for this use.

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    from my testing, it appears that the second green box shows up at +100 reputation.

To give some statistics, as of right now, 110 rep hits total have been given. 12 people have received net negative reputations from the start, and nine have fallen below zero.

A gross total of 933 reputation points have been given out, of which 707 have been positive, and 226 negative. I'm pretty happy with that, for the system having been around for like a day and a half .
    How does one explain this?

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    I'm guessing the same way one can explain Wilik's 2 million post count

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Magic? b/c that's how I explain the unexplainable.

nevermind it works now....
    Last edited by Knives122; Mon, 03-13-2006 at 12:49 PM.

R.I.P Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadugar
    How does one explain this?

Note the title "Administrator" under Ciber's name.

It'd be nice if my member duration and post count carried any weight to the new rep system.

I calculated my rep to be at least 2488 points.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Your post count + time being a member does reflect your rep Assertnfailure, it counts towards how much of a rep hit you can give someone, for instance right now anyone that joins has the ability to give someone a rep hit of +/-(1-5) I believe where as you can give someone a rep hit of +/-20~ because of your postcount + time being a member.

If i click on my own rep button, it says i currently have 18 rep points.

so is that how many i give to someone else, or is that how many i've recieved? cuz i just figured it was how much i could give to other ppl. if thats the case, how do i check how much rep i've recieved, aside from the bar.

Hah, I didn't know people could read the comments when writing on someone's Rep.

I wrote "You suck" to many people, so if you read it, don't be offended, but you probably sucked anyways.

That place over there........ahh never mind
    well I guess there's some truth to that, we've all had to of "sucked" sometime in our lives.......

R.I.P Captain America.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Budweineken
    Hah, I didn't know people could read the comments when writing on someone's Rep.

I wrote "You suck" to many people, so if you read it, don't be offended, but you probably sucked anyways.
    What you talk about? I can not read anything with comments! How did you find them?
    I only see 'somewhat negative' and red button with 'N/A'. I can not find comments at all!

Take two of these muchachos and call us in the morning. Yeah, call us, we'll be drunk.

Just go to your control panel and you should see the comments, you probably have one from me saying "Your tastes suck" or something.
    Last edited by Munsu; Mon, 03-13-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    There are two relevant numbers to reputation: your actual rep score, and your rep power.

Score is determined solely by what other people give you ... so if you were a total n00b, and everyone on the board loved what you had to say, you could theoretically have a very high reputation after making a single post.

Power is determined by the numbers I explained before ... so your forum membership time, your post count.

Admins are set at a static +20/-20 rep power, and in the case of ciber and wilik have artificially inflated reputations, because that's just how it is. They're admins, they can do that. Technically, I can do that too, and so can terra.

Non-admins give their full power on positive reps, and half-power on negative reps. This biases the system toward positive reputations, which I think is a good thing.

Right now, by virtue of post count and membership age, AssertnFailure has a reputation power of 50. That means his hits are pretty heavy, giving +50 for a positive hit and -25 for a negative one. So quit yer goddamned bitching, assertn .

In other words, the system doesn't reward you for posting a lot by giving you rep. It rewards you for posting a lot by giving you more representation. Reputation itself comes solely from the community (or from the whim of the admins, in the case of ciber and wilik). So your actual reputation reflects public opinion of you, where your power reflects both public opinion of you and the degree to which you've participated in the forums.

In the case of ciber and wilik ... well ... it's pretty pointless to rep them one way or the other, 'cause they sorta own the place . Which is why they're walking around with reputations the size of Cleveland.
    Last edited by complich8; Mon, 03-13-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Should one gain enough rep to be able to pick a custom title, is it changeable as long as the rep is still high enough, or is it a one time deal? Just curious.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    totally changeable. You get an option to override it with whatever you want in your user options, if you get that high up.

Sweeeeeet That's a nice touch to throw in that ability... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    There are two relevant numbers to reputation: your actual rep score, and your rep power.

Score is determined solely by what other people give you ... so if you were a total n00b, and everyone on the board loved what you had to say, you could theoretically have a very high reputation after making a single post.

Power is determined by the numbers I explained before ... so your forum membership time, your post count.

Admins are set at a static +20/-20 rep power, and in the case of ciber and wilik have artificially inflated reputations, because that's just how it is. They're admins, they can do that. Technically, I can do that too, and so can terra.

Non-admins give their full power on positive reps, and half-power on negative reps. This biases the system toward positive reputations, which I think is a good thing.

Right now, by virtue of post count and membership age, AssertnFailure has a reputation power of 50. That means his hits are pretty heavy, giving +50 for a positive hit and -25 for a negative one. So quit yer goddamned bitching, assertn .

In other words, the system doesn't reward you for posting a lot by giving you rep. It rewards you for posting a lot by giving you more representation. Reputation itself comes solely from the community (or from the whim of the admins, in the case of ciber and wilik). So your actual reputation reflects public opinion of you, where your power reflects both public opinion of you and the degree to which you've participated in the forums.

In the case of ciber and wilik ... well ... it's pretty pointless to rep them one way or the other, 'cause they sorta own the place . Which is why they're walking around with reputations the size of Cleveland.
    so if ciber or wilik gives us a negative rep....we're screwed?

LaZie made this...a long time ago.

"It was a very depressing time in my life, since I had no money I was unable to screw the rules" -Kaiba

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoskiddo
    so if ciber or wilik gives us a negative rep....we're screwed?
    ... And so the reign of terror began...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    nope, if ciber or wilik give you a rep hit, it'll be a +20 or -20. Unless they decide to go in and edit that hit to make it higher or lower.

In short, there's nothing preventing us from screwing you over... but doing so would pretty much defeat the purpose of the system by removing people from it at random. By default, we admins actually hit lighter than heavy posters like Assertn and Bud. So if there's anyone who's going to go on a "reign of terror" ... I'd say it'd be more likely to be the "Raikage club" than us.

(of course, if we were so inclined, we _could_ just set your rep to like -846726 ... but that's a fate I'd only reserve for habitual rep-beggers or rep-inflating cliques )
    Last edited by complich8; Mon, 03-13-2006 at 08:06 PM.

hmmmm.....so basically, my rep's are the second most valuable in the forum.....

good to know =]
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07