Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Reputation System Overview

I like seeing more comments on reputation. I think this was a good improvement. Like xDark, I'd like to have a way to see all the comments I've been given, but this is still a good improvement.

Thanks complich8.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage
    xxxxxx is a serious rep- whore.

xxxx is either an admin or is blowing one.

those are two of my favorites. There should be more from the 1000 point mark onward. But i guess there are more important things that you have to deal with.
    There's more... not terribly many more, but there's a couple up there that nobody's seen yet.

I made fairly sane intervals all the way up to 5000, then a big leap up to 50k for the "either an admin or blowing one" title. But between 1000 and 5000 (inclusive) there's a total of 8 categories. Across the whole rep spectrum, there are 29 defined categories, ranging from "is off the scale" at the extremely far negative end, all the way up to the "admin or blowing one" at the extremely positive end.

isn't "off the scale" usually used if something is really good? i think "below the scale" would be more appropriate although they both sound stupid.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    yeah, it's a default, and I didn't feel like changing it creatively.

The way things are going though, it doesn't seem like anyone will ever get there anyway.

thanks for the info. I can't wait to see what the new descriptions looks like.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

looks at reputation.
    I win.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    No, you cheated. Cheating isn't winning.

And now you're not even that! SucK it, Trebek!
    Last edited by complich8; Tue, 05-09-2006 at 11:28 PM.

You know, I'm loving this rep system more and more. It encourages intelligent discussion a lot more than I anticipated.

Usually, one can disagree with everyone else and still not get neg-repped so long as one makes a good point. A good example is the thread on immigration. I expected to get a negative reputation for disagreeing on a sensitive and unpopular issue. Surprisingly, this didn't happen. I didn't get any positive points, but no one tried to get back at me because I disagreed.

I think that says a lot for the rep system and for the quality of the people on this forum.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

I'm loving the rep system more and more as I rise in rep, at whoever came up with it (I'm guessing Complich8) Great f*cking job.

Well done. I think it also keeps everyone in line, and The reward for being a good member being a custom title is awesome. I'm definatly working towards that.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

It doesn't keep Kai in line... But he's a bad boy, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Lol, life would be boring without people like kAi.

Anyway, the only problem I've got with the rep system is that it doesn't tell who does the repping unless signed. I've gotten bad rep for teh most ridiculous of reasons and I want to get back at the people.....I don't really give out bad rep but its gets really annoying to be repped by someone for the most annoying of reasons.

But I guess thats the very purpose of having to sign the reps if ya want to be known that it was you. I guess I can live with it........

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus
    Lol, life would be boring without people like kAi.

Anyway, the only problem I've got with the rep system is that it doesn't tell who does the repping unless signed. I've gotten bad rep for teh most ridiculous of reasons and I want to get back at the people.....I don't really give out bad rep but its gets really annoying to be repped by someone for the most annoying of reasons.

But I guess thats the very purpose of having to sign the reps if ya want to be known that it was you. I guess I can live with it........
    Someone negatively repped me for saying Sakura looked hot in the naruto 2 movie.

I won't give away who I think it was but it starts with T and ends with ERRACOSMO I KNOW IT WAS YOU BITCH!! Quit hating on me!
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonlonghair
    You know, I'm loving this rep system more and more. It encourages intelligent discussion a lot more than I anticipated.

Usually, one can disagree with everyone else and still not get neg-repped so long as one makes a good point. A good example is the thread on immigration. I expected to get a negative reputation for disagreeing on a sensitive and unpopular issue. Surprisingly, this didn't happen. I didn't get any positive points, but no one tried to get back at me because I disagreed.

I think that says a lot for the rep system and for the quality of the people on this forum.
    I agree, but I also have a few disappointments with the rep system. Based on the reps I get, and what I've been told by some other users (and now apparently the 2 posts above mine), people still receive random neg reps on random posts. It might be either because someone is trying to get around the fanout number or is trying to bring that person's rep down. It doesn't matter, people will always be immature.

And then there will be those people out there who want to get high reps just for the custom title alone (or even just for bigger "e-penis"), but rarely contribute anything really meaningful to discussions. Surely their rep isn't representative of their post quality. The system is first and foremost a popularity contest, in my opinion, and only works as a quality-buffer after that fact.

However, I too have seen a lot of intelligent and thought-out discussion since the reps were implemented, so it must be doing something right toward that end. Personally I don't mind how high my own rep is, just as long as the majority of the feedback isn't negative reactions to my posts. And like you said, if you tend to say something unpopular or controversial but don't just come off like a 12 year-old spammer, this won't be the case. At least I hope it won't.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    The system is first and foremost a popularity contest, in my opinion, and only works as a quality-buffer after that fact.
    At its heart, this is certainly true... in fact, two of the categories I defined are "is winning the popularity contest" and "has won the popularity contest" =D

But yeah, I still like it ^_^.

@XanBcoo: Yeah i agree that it is a popularity contest. But it is a good idea, an idea that works on fate( If there is such a thing). I know that there are people out there that are imature and will rep. people out of spite but there are alot more good things about this system than there are bad.

It encourages fourm activity, which is the back bone of any forums. It somewhat enforces the improvement of ones post. Also it is fun in some ways and really annoying in others but mostly fun. It is somewhat of a good way to make friends on the forums or strengthen existing ones. It allows you to take somewhat of a look at how you are viewed by the members of the forum, that is minusing the imature action that some members take against others. Its a great idea i think, and a very useful system, it all depends on how you look at it.
    ___

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    To he who negatively repped me for my above post, and also for the rest of the retards who somehow take me seriously, I was just kidding. Damn get a sense of humor.

I like the reputation system.. it does its job even though some people take it way too seriously.

It also doesn't have to, and really doesn't, mean much of anything so it can be ignored as well.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

@XanBcoo: Yeah i agree that it is a popularity contest. But it is a good idea, an idea that works on fate( If there is such a thing). I know that there are people out there that are imature and will rep. people out of spite but there are alot more good things about this system than there are bad.

It encourages fourm activity, which is the back bone of any forums. It somewhat enforces the improvement of ones post. Also it is fun in some ways and really annoying in others but mostly fun. It is somewhat of a good way to make friends on the forums or strengthen existing ones. It allows you to take somewhat of a look at how you are viewed by the members of the forum, that is minusing the imature action that some members take against others. Its a great idea i think, and a very useful system, it all depends on how you look at it.
    Now see, a post like this deserves good rep. Lots of accurate info people can relate to and grasp the concept.

And I would rep you if I could DR. Lol.

And I've made about half of the friends I made on the forums through the rep system, just to show how much on the ball you are.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    You misunderstand me (and so did the person who neg repped me). I'm not complaining about the system, and I'm not putting it down. I was replying to Samsonlonghair's post. The point is, yes, it's fun, and yes, it does encourage good posting and forum activity up to a point. I've really enjoyed it so far, but there are still certain things that are problematic (like the random neg reps, or people who abuse the system). I guess there's no way to deal with that, though. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    I like the reputation system.. it does its job even though some people take it way too seriously.

It also doesn't have to, and really doesn't, mean much of anything so it can be ignored as well.
    I completely agree with both of these points.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

No , i understand what you were saying, I was just pointing out some of the more positive attributes of the system. It is not perfect and it never will be, because it is dependant on the people who use it.
    ___

Maybe the amount of points needed to get a better rank should be raised. It looks rather ridiculous that like 70% of the active posters already have reached the maximum amount of boxes (although there are still a few written ranks left to discover).

But still. Sort of takes away from the fun...