Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness and Exercise

D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass and v is volume. Units are Kg per metre cubed.

Basically, 1Kg of muscle would take up less space than 1Kg of fat. They would both weigh the same, but the issue here would be the difference in space or volume they occupy.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by DB_Hunter
    D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass and v is volume. Units are Kg per metre cubed.

Basically, 1Kg of muscle would take up less space than 1Kg of fat. They would both weigh the same, but the issue here would be the difference in space or volume they occupy.
    oooh, I understand now. Show off. =)

So in the end...you can't tell anything by knowing someone's weight right? it could mean they're fat OR just really fit?

BMI was debunked in the 70s as an unrealistic measurement of one's fitness. Never use it again.
    My doctor said so too. It's weird how people here still use that.

I used a BMI machine here and it said I was severely underweight, and the one on the internet said I was normal.

Pfft. But my doctor said I'm perfectly fine and the machine is liar. Huzzah.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    oooh, I understand now. Show off. =)

So in the end...you can't tell anything by knowing someone's weight right? it could mean they're fat OR just really fit?
    Correct. So in the end you are gonna have to use the old fashioned way, your eyes, to tell whether or not someone is fit or not. In conjunction with the odd exercise of course.

Junior
    Guess it's then impossible to tell on the internet without pics.

But it's strange how people assume you're fit just because you're skinny. I mean, if you're fit, you wouldn't be skinny...you'd be more...well-built.

You wouldn't look like a pole. o_o

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    I can't quote this hard enough. All of it is true. Exercising (cardio and weight lifting) at least 3 times a week just helps lose fat and gain muscle much faster and more efficiently but having a good diet is the base of all that.
    Actually, i do workout and play alot of sports but i eat whatever i want and when i want it. I'm not really trying to look like those apes from the wwe, i just enjoy working out and being able to eat all i want is also fun. I do have a so-so body and i can run for a long time so i guess this is the perfect fitness plan for me

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Play DDR. I bet koreans love DDR.
    Actually, in Korean, DDR is a acronym for their word for masturbate. Not that good of a workout, really. I think running is a good idea. Also biking intensely (which I used to do before my bike was stolen) twice a week can help with fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Archangel
    Actually, i do workout and play alot of sports but i eat whatever i want and when i want it. I'm not really trying to look like those apes from the wwe, i just enjoy working out and being able to eat all i want is also fun. I do have a so-so body and i can run for a long time so i guess this is the perfect fitness plan for me
    I've seen your shirtless picture man. Do you really work out?

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj
    Not that good of a workout, really.
    Hmm...you must not have played on a very high level then...
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Some studies tells that masterbating prevents some kind of disease... thought it was some kind of cancer.

Heard it millions of times but hey, TV also tells lies.
    Oh well, it's actually true that it decreases your stress.
    little soul your dreams are waitin'
    crapping up...
    hold them closely
    never let go, never let go... <3

Yesterday I ran around Six Flags, and now I am more sore that the previous days when I ran 2 miles. Maybe suspense was part of it, because there were points on the coaster I was so tense I had to relax myself because it was getting tiring. XD
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiodos
    Some studies tells that masterbating prevents some kind of disease... thought it was some kind of cancer.

Heard it millions of times but hey, TV also tells lies.
    Oh well, it's actually true that it decreases your stress.
    It is said to prevent prostate cancer.

I'm currently playing soccer twice a week with friends. I don't like indoor though. I've got pretty much no skill, so I need the space to run.

Playing indoors may be better healthwise. You will have to do more tricks and turns using your whole body rather than just more of a straight run towards goal outdoors.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    well.. not because of that but you have to run a lot more indoors...(you use tricks outdoors as well thats not the difference there)

since you play 4vs4 and not 11vs11.. and even though the field is smaller you get much more action because 12,5% of the time you have the ball at your feet(100:8).. on a big field you only get the ball like ~5% of the time... (100:22) then again it depends on the postion on the field... indoors however, the postion is meaningless because you play defense AND attack.. pretty much like handball (so you have to get away from the opposite players... if you play in the defense outdoors you won't go much further than to the middle field.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 03-30-2008 at 10:14 AM.

That's a valid point too. But indoors your whole body will get involved, simply because there will be a greater chance of the players crowding around you. And try 5 a side rather 4 a side.

That's a valid point too. But indoors your whole body will get involved, simply because there will be a greater chance of the players crowding around you. And try 5 a side rather 4 a side.

hmm nah

both indoors and outdoors its pretty much always 1vs2 if you got the ball... any more players would be a disadvantage for both teams so it would be useless

if you have the ball and another player of your team wants to help you he will only try to get away from his opponent so you can pass to him.. if he gets close to you he will close up the space you would otherwise be able to run to..

if its 1vs3 then most likely someone of your team is free so you can pass to him and the 3 players which crowded you are overran pretty fast.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 03-30-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Dude, that may be true in some circumstances. In general, the more players in a confined space, the harder it is to hold on to the ball. So unless you just want a ping pong match, you are going to have to use skill to hold on to the ball.

...and it's actually funnier to play with friends against others that you just know. And if it clicks, it can turn out to be a hell long, sweaty but fun game. If it doesn't, it would problaby end up with a fly kick in your head....
    But that is, you just don't alwasy have somewhere indoors to play and grassy open fields are easier to find...
    little soul your dreams are waitin'
    crapping up...
    hold them closely
    never let go, never let go... <3

Dude, that may be true in some circumstances. In general, the more players in a confined space, the harder it is to hold on to the ball. So unless you just want a ping pong match, you are going to have to use skill to hold on to the ball.
    soccer is NOT american football, there is no team which has players above ~8 years old that attack players with more than 2 guys... and if there is such a team, i m pretty sure they'll lose every single game.

the reasons are obvious... if you are attacked by 2 or more players all you have to do is pass... thats all and the defense is beaten...

the second player only comes to help in a 1v1 if he can shield a big area and if his own opponent isn't too far away. did you ever watch a indoor tourney? they try to press the player with ball to the wall and after the first player succeded in doing so, the second player comes in and "surrounds" him, so the only way the player can take now is the way back.

well totally offtopic :/

btw its not the problem to find indoor places, its just that they cost money (at least here they do) but its more fun. at least for me because you can use walls etc ^^.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 03-30-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Correct. So in the end you are gonna have to use the old fashioned way, your eyes, to tell whether or not someone is fit or not. In conjunction with the odd exercise of course.
    Interestingly, this isn't always accurate either.

I'm 6'8 and about 340, and I look pretty out of shape (at least, I think I do ... I mean, I'd be a lot better looking at 300...). My roommate's 5'11 and about 185, and looks like he's built out of solid muscle. But I'd say I'm significantly more fit than my roommate, based on every time we've gone out to play some random sport.

For example, yesterday we went out and kicked around a soccer ball for about 10 minutes. Both of us were doing about the same level of running and kicking, and then he ended up doubled over in a heap while I was dribbling the ball in circles around him to keep the heart rate a little elevated while trying to determine whether I was going to have to carry him off the field.

So yeah, not even looking at someone can really tell you. You'd look at me and probably not expect me to have the sort of strength, stamina and coordination that I have, and you'd probably expect my cut-looking roommate to do a whole lot better than he does... but there's a lot of other factors to fitness than how you look without a shirt on.

well cardio fitness and physical fitness are two very different things. i consider myself physically fit, but as far as cardio goes, i can barely do a lap without huffing and puffing.