Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Fitness and Exercise

Wow! I'm a big tittied bitch, Ani. I guess this means we will NEVER be together. :/
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Wow! I'm a big tittied bitch, Ani. I guess this means we will NEVER be together. :/
    I said breasts do less for me, not that I'm immune to them. As long as you work out your lovely gams as well, we can make it work.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Maybe he was an Alien that`s part of an organization like Men in Black, and he just went back to his planet.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I said breasts do less for me, not that I'm immune to them. As long as you work out your lovely gams as well, we can make it work.
    Wow, I have to work my ass off to come home to your pot belly?! Sounds like a terrible plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Wow, I have to work my ass off to come home to your pot belly?! Sounds like a terrible plan.
    I'll work off my gut while you work on your cellulitic thighs.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

*sigh*

I guess I should have responded to Ani's ridiculous post when I first saw it this morning had a nice response in mind too but now I am just wondering if your posts are in jest or if you actually believe that nonsense(what you post in general not just that specific one). I had a friend who did track throughout high school and college and another who was a cheerleader, I would love to know what you think their physical traits indicate about their personalities. Seriously I am beginning to wonder if you would love to get to know a great pair of detached legs or simply a walking lower body a la Assy McGee. Ah whatever off topic nonsense anyway.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Blog Entries
    Amazing how you can shit what was one of the few nice threads around here this badly.

Yeah let's try to keep this thread on topic. When I talk about legs I mean for your average female. Athletic chicks' legs tend to get too muscular or stringy, depending on their sport. That's usually only when they're actively training and competing. When you see them off-season, their legs look amazing, for example Alex Morgan (US soccer) and Marion Jones (T&F) though these are bad examples since they both have amazing legs pretty much all the time.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    So, yeah. I was going to go on a ketogenic diet again starting last week, but I've decided not to. Bad breath doesn't really work, and I haven't identified anybody with diabetic ketoacidosis to figure out what this smell actually is. My books range from "sweet, fruity smell" to "rotten fruity smell".

I'll check out the WPI stuff too Raven. The 30KG seems to be the best value.. just have to wonder at how long it'll keep. Maybe I'll need to think about the cost of a few silicon absorbers to keep the stuff dry if I go that route.

Has anyone got any experience with the Pallof Press exercise? I feel the difficulty in it, but my abs don't feel shot after I finish. I could increase in weight, but I feel that my base (feet) would rip off the ground. Maybe it's finally time to get some flat shoes since my runners that put my feet on arch support kinda affect my static stability. (might have said this before, but never actually got around to it)

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    -I'm getting epigastric pain that is best described as hunger pain when I go to the gym.

-It feels like a deep pain where something is digesting itself.
    It's midline pain below the sternum, probably 2cm above the umbilicus.
    -It happens around 2 to 2.5 hours into my workout (I'm still at the gym, though in the past it could have been as I was leaving). -When it comes on gradually, but can escalate quickly.

-When it first starts, it comes when I exert effort and goes away when I stop exercising.

-If I keep going though, it'll become constant.

-At its maximum intensity, I would probably rate the pain as a 7-8 out of 10.

I can imagine something causing me more pain, but this gets pretty close to the maximum I've ever felt. I've never suffered from many injuries though, so I can't compare to a broken bone etc. Visceral pain feels different from somatic pain anyway though, and I dislike its character more.
    The above description is mostly consistent (after a few weeks of experimenting now), but I've concluded that the pain doesn't have much to do with the 2hr exercise at all. It is best brought on by the pectoral fly machine, usually on my 3rd or 4th-plus set. When I put in effort to finish the motion, the pain will come on gradually and slowly escalate. If I keep doing more reps, it becomes more severe. Resting and discontinuing the exercise will alleviate the pain.

I can feel my abdominal muscles contracting when I do the pec-fly, so it can be argued that it's that pain. I haven't been able to relax my abs but contract my pecs forcefully, so I can't really test out whether the abdominal contraction has anything to do with it.

I haven't tried the protein-shake-before-workout yet, only some fruit. They don't seem to make a difference.

Push-ups by themselves don't seem to give me a problem. I haven't done pushups when the pain sets in from the pec-fly though, so perhaps I'll do that next time.

Overall it's pretty annoying and just limits how far I can exercise my chest. :S

edit: This link seems to suggest some reasons. The breathing one caught my eye because the chest press is definitely the slowest of my exercises, and I lengthen my exhalation in time with my contraction.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...uous-exercise/

edit2: or a hernia. :S

----------------------

Is there such thing as "too wide" a grip for the lat pull-down?

I eat afterwards and it goes away, but not always immediately. I also don't know whether or not it's simply a time issue, it's too painful to just sit and wait.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 06-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.

At first when I was reading your description of your pain I was thinking about an abdominal stitch that I used to get when I did cardio but that's resolved by doing that standing stretch where you bend over and touch your toes then bounce a few times while inhaling/exhaling. But reading further along that doesn't seem to be the case.

And there's no too wide a grip for the lat-pull down really. They just work out two different areas primarily. They function like pull ups where the wider the grip the more they work out your lats and upper back, the closer the grip the more they end up working your arms, triceps and biceps.

Great advice in this video! He uses the same brand of protein as me, too.

His protein vid:

I've been using a balance ball as an office chair at work and I think it's making a big difference. My main goal is to fix a slouching problem that is affecting my back, but the added benefit of the balance ball as a chair is that it gives your core and lower body a bit of a workout keeping you balanced and upright. While I've found you can still slouch by leaning your arms on the desk, I find myself not doing that very often.

Active_Office.jpg

Stock photo but sadly I think both of these guys are doing it wrong.

Does anyone know if its true that protein shakes should be taken within 30 minutes of completing a workout? I don't see the sense in this, since we eat protein all the time and the body processes it. Is there really that much loss of benefit from a protein shake if you don't drink it soon after working out?

It's better because more effective protein synthesis. It's probably fine if you take it during the day to satisfy your macros, but most optimal is immediately before or after workout.

Source: broscience.

I just discovered pre-workout supplements and I think they work wonders. I took a sample of some pre-workout called Shock'd and breezed through a leg workout that usually sucks the life out of me. I don't look forward to having to buy more supplements, or having to rely on supplements when I'd rather go natural, but man this stuff really seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I just discovered pre-workout supplements and I think they work wonders. I took a sample of some pre-workout called Shock'd and breezed through a leg workout that usually sucks the life out of me. I don't look forward to having to buy more supplements, or having to rely on supplements when I'd rather go natural, but man this stuff really seems to work.
    Have you tried looking into what in it actually works? I'm not sure how much caffeine forms the majority of the "kick".

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Have you tried looking into what in it actually works? I'm not sure how much caffeine forms the majority of the "kick".
    I imagine a lot of sugar is involved, which is probably why it tastes so much better than any protein powder I've ever tried. I don't think it's caffeine because I didn't feel jittery and I slept fine just 3-4 hours later.

Started to seriously lift in January. Here are my PRs so far:

Bench: 5x 125 lb
    Squat: 5x 225 lb
    Deadlift: 5x 315 lb

Didn't make much gains until last month when I switched to a new plan composed entirely of all compound exercises. Goal for the summer is to get to 200/300/400 lbs, hopefully, but it might take another year before I reach that.