Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness and Exercise

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    1.5 miles in 10 mins, 15 seconds? That's pretty tough, but doable.

I hurt my wrist so I haven't been able to work out in the gym for almost 2 weeks. I've lost about 3 lbs of muscle mass and it's starting to mess with my self-esteem.
    Deadlift with straps and squat, yah bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    You lose muscle that easily?
    If you don't work out nor eat for maintenance then maybe... but he's probably exaggerating.

3lbs in 2 weeks? How is that even possible? Do you have like 3% bodyfat and you didn't eat as well?
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Deadlift with straps and squat, yah bitch.

If you don't work out nor eat for maintenance then maybe... but he's probably exaggerating.
    My wrist could barely handle the strain of 2 gallon (7.5 L) milk jugs, and the last time I tried to curl a 27.5lb (12kg) weight, it hurt to even hold the barbell in my hand. I think lifting the bar for a deadlift would tear my hand right off my arm at the wrist. I'm maintaining leg muscle by running and doing judo.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. I think it means the muscle was short-term and not lean muscle yet (the long-term muscle). I can see the size difference in my chest and arms since I stopped working out, it's that noticeable. It took me 5 months starting in June to put on 10 lbs of muscle. It doesn't take long for those gains to evaporate, which is why it's messing with my head. If I eat to maintain, I just put on fat weight.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Blog Entries
    Holy mother of broscience batman!

First off, straps allow you to take all effort away from your wrists. They're pretty cheap as well, check out a local gym supplies store.

Second, short term muscle? All of my wat. You're most likely confusing your regular body with your post workout body.

1.5 miles in 10 mins, 15 seconds? That's pretty tough, but doable.
    It's tough since you can't slow down at all. But then again for people below the age of 25 the gold standard is 9 min 45 seconds.... So it's one of the perks of growing older.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Holy mother of broscience batman!

Second, short term muscle? All of my wat. You're most likely confusing your regular body with your post workout body.
    This, a workout pumps the muscles up, that's why boxers looks more menacing before a fight compared to non training, cause they do a quick pre-fight warmup.
    There is no way in hell you lost 3lbs of muscle tissue, infuckingpossible; completely not possimpable.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    This, a workout pumps the muscles up, that's why boxers looks more menacing before a fight compared to non training, cause they do a quick pre-fight warmup.
    There is no way in hell you lost 3lbs of muscle tissue, infuckingpossible; completely not possimpable.
    Lookit, go hit the gym for a couple weeks and see how your muscles grow. Then stop for 2 weeks and see how quickly that muscle evaporates. There is short-term muscle gain, and long-term muscle gain (what they call lean muscle though it may be a misnomer) that stays on you for longer.

It may not have been entirely muscle tissue, some might have been water weight. When I weighed myself at 162 lbs, I had just come in from a 3 mile run in humid conditions and drank a cup of water. But I was wearing a thin damp towel so that 162 might be high.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    What are you using to measure "muscle gain"?

Is it just visual? Because that's not any measure at all.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    What are you using to measure "muscle gain"?

Is it just visual? Because that's not any measure at all.
    Visual and weight. You can dispute the validity of visual measurements, but I'm older and know my body better than you might give credit for. I've been at 160lbs most of the last 20 years of my life. I dropped to 150 after an aggressive fat-loss period, then started building muscle from there, getting to 165.

Blog Entries
    Enough of your bulshit Ani, just get some calipers and measure your bf%.

Well... what are you trying to achieve? Build muscle, endurance, strength or simply losing weight?
    I've been cutting since May, and I didn't have a lot of fat to burn so it wasn't easy. All up I've become pretty lean and I do have some muscle definition (broad shoulders, big-ish chest and arms, tiny waist). So I guess my goal, now that I've wiped the slate clean so to speak, is to build a bit more muscle. I don't want to become big as hell like a line backer or something, I guess I'm more after that ballet style of physique as dumb as it might sound, that chiseled, lean muscular look.
    I'm on the way to a six-pack too inadvertently, but I know that'll be hard to maintain. Really gotta get the BF% low for that.

I've developed really good eating and supplement habits while cutting but I'm fairly sure I'll need to eat bigger portions in general if I want to build up a bit. On another note, a nutritionist told me I was eating wayyy too much protein daily. She said she has guys coming to her after 10+ years of high protein diets and their kidneys are starting to fail from all the hard work. *shrugs*
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Enough of your bulshit Ani, just get some calipers and measure your bf%.
    As much logic or fact as your side may have, it's still Ani's recount on what he saw and observed happenned to him. As "incorrect" or "making no sense" as it may be, I think "bullshit" is a bit harsh a word to use.

What's the consensus on "having some fat on you so you can burn it during workout"? I was wanting to burn off my fat as first priority before building mass. Lean mass, and not too much. I still want to fit into most of my current clothes.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

What's the consensus on "having some fat on you so you can burn it during workout"? I was wanting to burn off my fat as first priority before building mass. Lean mass, and not too much. I still want to fit into most of my current clothes.
    Burning fat quickly will be 95% diet related, IMO.
    I think I know precisely what I mean
    when I say it's a schpadoinkle day

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Burning fat quickly will be 95% diet related, IMO.
    Yeah. I plan to do that. I've heard rumours that it's good to leave some fat on you so you can use it during your workouts, so I don't know if I want to be that extreme in the diet department or leave some padding for "energy". It sounds like a wive's tale to me, but perhaps there's some hidden reason that I'm not aware of.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I don't think you want to "leave fat on you" for workouts, because your body won't process that fat as quickly as it needs energy. You eat shortly before to have the energy to workout.

It's not possible to really gain a lot of muscle if you don't bulk up ( ie get fat) beforehand; your body simply will not have fat to burn and it will reach a peak on how much muscle it can gain.
    -----------------

Blog Entries
    There's a whole lot of ignorance going on in this thread. It's to be expected though, there are loads of myths on the subject of muscle gain and fat loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I've been cutting since May, and I didn't have a lot of fat to burn so it wasn't easy. All up I've become pretty lean and I do have some muscle definition (broad shoulders, big-ish chest and arms, tiny waist). So I guess my goal, now that I've wiped the slate clean so to speak, is to build a bit more muscle. I don't want to become big as hell like a line backer or something, I guess I'm more after that ballet style of physique as dumb as it might sound, that chiseled, lean muscular look.
    I'm on the way to a six-pack too inadvertently, but I know that'll be hard to maintain. Really gotta get the BF% low for that.

I've developed really good eating and supplement habits while cutting but I'm fairly sure I'll need to eat bigger portions in general if I want to build up a bit. On another note, a nutritionist told me I was eating wayyy too much protein daily. She said she has guys coming to her after 10+ years of high protein diets and their kidneys are starting to fail from all the hard work. *shrugs*
    You're looking for ottermode, google it. A 6 pack isn't really that hard to maintain assuming you'll still do maintenance workout and personally i find it extremely aesthetically pleasing. Swimming would also be a good alternative for maintenance.

Well powerlifters keep a lot of fat as to keep spinal injuries less likely... but i'm guessing that what you mean is how beginners to lifting are able to both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time so the concept of bulking and cutting becomes less significant to them.

I don't think you want to "leave fat on you" for workouts, because your body won't process that fat as quickly as it needs energy. You eat shortly before to have the energy to workout.
    Actually, there have been some interesting studies on the advantages of fasting before workout. I'll see if i can find the article when i get home.

It's not possible to really gain a lot of muscle if you don't bulk up ( ie get fat) beforehand; your body simply will not have fat to burn and it will reach a peak on how much muscle it can gain.
    Read my answer to Bill's question.
    Last edited by Archangel; Thu, 11-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.

I don't think that's how it works. Most people who start body building don't start as fat people, they're usually scrawny. To gain mass when you work out, drink protein shakes and eat more food, preferably lean meats and other sources of protein and carbs.

Blog Entries
    Yo psyke, i got 4km ( 3.9something) in my 20 min workout jog so that's 2km per 10min. Where does that leave me in your standard chart?

You get a pass. Which is a fail in most peoples' eyes since Silver is the minimum

Gold standard in the military physical tests here means 9 minutes 44 seconds for 2.4km.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。