Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Movie Recommendations

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    American Film Institute's Top 100 Films

I'm not quite sure if the title of this list is accurate... They're obviously favoring the classics, at the great cost of excellent films that followed on the heels of them. I was shocked at how many I've actually seen, some of which I don't think have any business as high as they are (Singin' in the Rain at 5? Godfather II on this list at all? Shane above The Wild Bunch?)

The AFI also obviously snubbed foreign films. Still, a decent list of classics.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    The Shawshank Redemption belongs soooo much higher up on that list. I'm disappointed.

Also, I've never seen Citizen Kane, but have asked about it multiple times on different forums/movie boards, and the overwhelming response I got was that it hadn't really aged well. Good for people who appreciate classics, and definitely cutting-edge for its time, but not something that the average movie-goer would actually enjoy sitting through.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

There are only safe bets on the entire list.It look more like a list of movies that you should think are good unless you're an idiot. I hate those kinds of lists. It's like people who think that they are smart just because they have read classic novels. "Ooooo I've read Dostojevskij. I am so smart. I am so smart. S M R T! I mean S M A R T!!"

The Illusionist, thought it was a good movie, filmed very well if you're into that sort of thing. You don't figure it all out until the movie is just about over, which is a plus. Check it out.

infidel
    Bobby - This movie was written and directed by Emilio Estevez, got a nod for Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes. If you have an open mind and like six-degree movies you will love this movie. Keep in mind it is not supposed to be about Bobby Kennedy but about those in the hotel the day that it happened. It seems some critics missed that part.

For me... my recommendations would have to be Fight Club, Donnie Darko and The 40 Year Old Virgin. Probably all mentioned already but all the more reason to see them

And for those who may like older black and white films I would suggest The Maltese Falcon. A classic 1941 (the remake) movie based on a novel (same name) starring Humphrey Bogart. I won't say more since it's pretty easy to figure things out with key things mentioned seeing as it's older, but still great.
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~

NBC is thinking of doing a Knight Rider movie and also ordered 13 episodes for a new series based on Robinson Crusoe. Looks like NBC has a thing for the classics, recently starting Bionic Woman and all.

http://www.tv.com/story/10249.html
    http://www.tv.com/story/10243.html

Anyone ever see the french film called Amelie? That movie Is and will always be my favorite movie. There are other movies right up there with it but never as good! Go look it up! I highly recommend it!

if you liked amelie, you'll like "he loves me, he loves me not" too. it's also french subtitled, and has audrey tautou in it. it's more serious than amelie, but has a suprising twist to it. i personally liked it more than amelie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahchan
    Anyone ever see the french film called Amelie? That movie Is and will always be my favorite movie. There are other movies right up there with it but never as good! Go look it up! I highly recommend it!
    That was an interesting movie, but I did like it!

And this one was mentioned a few times, Pan's Labyrinth, that was a wonderful movie! It wasn't too violent, but it was just.. wonderfully made.

And since we're reccommending movies, I recommend Millennium Actress. It was a bit odd, but I thought it was wonderfully made. Along with:

Voices of a Distant Star
    Synesthesia (Though it was odd, it was interesting to watch)

And then the two movies I never really got the endings of, so if anyone else did >.> they should say so:

Marebito
    Lost Highway

These ones are more so because they're odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitne
    Beyond The Clouds right up there with VDS. Great stuff.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Thumbs up Oldboy

Oldboy (2003) - imdb link (Korean)

I just finished watching this movie and was blown away by it. This is an excellent movie in a fucked up way of course!!! This is a story about revenge, pain, love, and the extremes people go to perform them. You still get the action that comes from this director who also did Lady Vengeance and Joint Security Area.

Ranked 117 in the imdb top 250, it's a must watch.

There is also a manga that it was created from, which I haven't read yet but is available at mangatraders.

Quote Originally Posted by kAi
    Oldboy (2003) - imdb link (Korean)

I just finished watching this movie and was blown away by it. This is an excellent movie in a fucked up way of course!!! This is a story about revenge, pain, love, and the extremes people go to perform them. You still get the action that comes from this director who also did Lady Vengeance and Joint Security Area.

Ranked 117 in the imdb top 250, it's a must watch.

There is also a manga that it was created from, which I haven't read yet but is available at mangatraders.
    It's one of my favourites. But sympathy for lady vengance sucked. Sympathy for mister vengance was much better tho quite morbid. But oldboy is by far the best movie in the trilogy.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    1. Wanted - saw it today and its definately a great movie.
    2. Tropic Thunder - comes out in august but i saw it at a screening on thursday and it was halarious... when it gets closer to release they're probably going to start advertising its long list of A-list stars outside of ben stiller, jack black, and robert downey jr.... tom cruise?!!?

From Dusk Till Dawn - Tarantino movie! About a couple of psycopathics on the run to Mexico. (Trying not to spoil)

The Professional / Leon - It's known by both names. It would make a really good anime. About an assassin and his relationship to a young girl.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    From Dusk Till Dawn - Tarantino movie! About a couple of psycopathics on the run to Mexico. (Trying not to spoil)

The Professional / Leon - It's known by both names. It would make a really good anime. About an assassin and his relationship to a young girl.
    Not CP or /b/ like relationship. Awesome movie - like most of Luc's.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    I several movies recently :

Slumdog Millionaire : Won all those awards and I was really skeptical about it. But this is a very well done movie. It was very good, if you haven' seen it you should definitely see it. A+

Taken : I had seen the ads for this movie and wasn't going to see it in the theatre and wasn't expecting much. I found it to be pretty entertaining though. B

7 Pounds : Wasn't sure what it was about, thought my wife wanted to see it. This was a very good movie too, which is kinda rare for me to say. Took a little while for the story to come together but when it did, it came together well. Amazing movie. A+

Bride Wars : Got for the wife to watch. Chick flick, somewhat entertaining. I fell asleep after about an hour and didn't really care to rewind to find out how it ended. C+

Observe and Report : WTF was I thinking? Did I really expect Seth Rogan to just turn Paul Blart into a very entertaining movie? Walked into it about 10 minutes late because I thought it was 7:30 instead of 7:20.. no loss there. mildly entertaining parts of the movie were overshadowed by the naked fat man with small penis getting as much air time as anna farris. D

Terminator Salvation : Hate to say it, but it wasn't a good movie. I had high hopes for this one and was so anxious to see it but it really just didn't do the franchise justice. TSCC was more entertaining than this movie. B-