Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Departed, you have to see this movie if you haven't yet, especially if you're from Boston or around the area (makes the movie even better.)

The Descent

I hadn't heard of this movie so I didn't know what to expect but nevertheless I was plesantly surprised. The atmosphere was conveyed well. I really liked the tension and the sense of seclusion.

If you're looking for a movie to scare the living bejeezus out of any woman-folk (and man-folk for that matter) nearby, this is the movie for you.

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    MOVIES TO SEE:

-oceans 11
    -40 year old virgin
    -crash
    -king kong
    -batman beginS

BAD MOVIES
    -scary movie 3
    -dukes of hazard
    -fast n furios 2
    -hills have eyes

MOVIES YOU DONT WANT YOUR MOM TO CATCH YOU WITH...
    Debbie does Dallas

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

My views on the Shinobi movie has changed considerably (for the worse) after watching Basilisk.
    Still a film worth watching, though.

Oh and to the person who wrote that Battle Royale sounded shallow (a bunch of posts ago): How dare you!!!!

It's indeed one of the best movies ever made.

SUNSHINE

Awesome movie. I don't think it has been released in the US yet, but be sure to watch it when it is. It is totally worth it to see at the cinema.

The best thing about the movie is the atmosphere. It's a little like Event Horizon and Das Experiment.

I liked The Fountain. It was just nonsense, but it was good nonsense. I wouldn't say that it has a deep meaning or some shit like that, it was fun though.

EDIT: Pan's Labyrinth is really overrated. WHY THE HELL DID SHE EAT THE FUCKING GRAPE!!!!????

Something a lil more recent...

I just saw Fracture. Great flick. Definately check that one out. Keeps ya guessing, unless you are really smart and can guess an ending before you have seen it with nothing else to go on but dumb luck.

Something a lil more sad...

Life as a House. Saddest movie of all times. But still very tasteful. Major points with the GF if you watch it with her.

Something a lil more Dramatic...

Life of David Gale...Great unforseen ending. Check it out!

-dg-

assertnfailure (7:40:03 PM): dude....your posts are a bunch of nonsense

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el_boss
    EDIT: Pan's Labyrinth is really overrated. WHY THE HELL DID SHE EAT THE FUCKING GRAPE!!!!????
    I assumed either: 1. The food might have been enchanted to make children want to eat it (hence Ofelia ignoring the fairies outright) or 2. She is a mischievous child and had been punished without dinner. She was probably hungry and didn't give a shit about what the Faun had said.

That, and if she hadn't eaten the grapes, we would have never seen the Pale Man in action!!

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

infidel
    Bobby - This movie was written and directed by Emilio Estevez, got a nod for Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes. If you have an open mind and like six-degree movies you will love this movie. Keep in mind it is not supposed to be about Bobby Kennedy but about those in the hotel the day that it happened. It seems some critics missed that part.

For me... my recommendations would have to be Fight Club, Donnie Darko and The 40 Year Old Virgin. Probably all mentioned already but all the more reason to see them

And for those who may like older black and white films I would suggest The Maltese Falcon. A classic 1941 (the remake) movie based on a novel (same name) starring Humphrey Bogart. I won't say more since it's pretty easy to figure things out with key things mentioned seeing as it's older, but still great.
    ~The imprint is always there... Nothing is ever really forgotten...~
    ~Seduce my mind, and you can have my body
    Find my soul, and I'll be yours forever...~
    ~Signature made by Deadfire~

NBC is thinking of doing a Knight Rider movie and also ordered 13 episodes for a new series based on Robinson Crusoe. Looks like NBC has a thing for the classics, recently starting Bionic Woman and all.

http://www.tv.com/story/10249.html
    http://www.tv.com/story/10243.html

Anyone ever see the french film called Amelie? That movie Is and will always be my favorite movie. There are other movies right up there with it but never as good! Go look it up! I highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahchan
    Anyone ever see the french film called Amelie? That movie Is and will always be my favorite movie. There are other movies right up there with it but never as good! Go look it up! I highly recommend it!
    That was an interesting movie, but I did like it!

And this one was mentioned a few times, Pan's Labyrinth, that was a wonderful movie! It wasn't too violent, but it was just.. wonderfully made.

And since we're reccommending movies, I recommend Millennium Actress. It was a bit odd, but I thought it was wonderfully made. Along with:

Voices of a Distant Star
    Synesthesia (Though it was odd, it was interesting to watch)

And then the two movies I never really got the endings of, so if anyone else did >.> they should say so:

Marebito
    Lost Highway

These ones are more so because they're odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitne
    Beyond The Clouds right up there with VDS. Great stuff.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

if you liked amelie, you'll like "he loves me, he loves me not" too. it's also french subtitled, and has audrey tautou in it. it's more serious than amelie, but has a suprising twist to it. i personally liked it more than amelie.

Thumbs up Oldboy

Oldboy (2003) - imdb link (Korean)

I just finished watching this movie and was blown away by it. This is an excellent movie in a fucked up way of course!!! This is a story about revenge, pain, love, and the extremes people go to perform them. You still get the action that comes from this director who also did Lady Vengeance and Joint Security Area.

Ranked 117 in the imdb top 250, it's a must watch.

There is also a manga that it was created from, which I haven't read yet but is available at mangatraders.

Quote Originally Posted by kAi
    Oldboy (2003) - imdb link (Korean)

I just finished watching this movie and was blown away by it. This is an excellent movie in a fucked up way of course!!! This is a story about revenge, pain, love, and the extremes people go to perform them. You still get the action that comes from this director who also did Lady Vengeance and Joint Security Area.

Ranked 117 in the imdb top 250, it's a must watch.

There is also a manga that it was created from, which I haven't read yet but is available at mangatraders.
    It's one of my favourites. But sympathy for lady vengance sucked. Sympathy for mister vengance was much better tho quite morbid. But oldboy is by far the best movie in the trilogy.

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    1. Wanted - saw it today and its definately a great movie.
    2. Tropic Thunder - comes out in august but i saw it at a screening on thursday and it was halarious... when it gets closer to release they're probably going to start advertising its long list of A-list stars outside of ben stiller, jack black, and robert downey jr.... tom cruise?!!?

From Dusk Till Dawn - Tarantino movie! About a couple of psycopathics on the run to Mexico. (Trying not to spoil)

The Professional / Leon - It's known by both names. It would make a really good anime. About an assassin and his relationship to a young girl.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    From Dusk Till Dawn - Tarantino movie! About a couple of psycopathics on the run to Mexico. (Trying not to spoil)

The Professional / Leon - It's known by both names. It would make a really good anime. About an assassin and his relationship to a young girl.
    Not CP or /b/ like relationship. Awesome movie - like most of Luc's.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE