Thread: The Bitching Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Why the hell does it take more than three days to ship a package across one state line? On top of that, why has my package been sitting at a carrier facility since 7:25am yesterday morning? I remember when Amazon shipped their packages within two days, no matter where it was coming from, without Amazon Prime. What has the world come to?

/endrant

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    Why the hell does it take more than three days to ship a package across one state line? On top of that, why has my package been sitting at a carrier facility since 7:25am yesterday morning? I remember when Amazon shipped their packages within two days, no matter where it was coming from, without Amazon Prime. What has the world come to?

/endrant
    I think they're trying to force you to get Prime, and they're raising prices on it too. I think they're currently losing money with the 2-day shipping under Prime.

And I don't know these halcyon days of speedy shipping you are referring to. Without Prime, Amazon typically takes 2-3 days to ship your order, then another few days for the carrier to deliver it.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    I think they're trying to force you to get Prime, and they're raising prices on it too. I think they're currently losing money with the 2-day shipping under Prime.

And I don't know these halcyon days of speedy shipping you are referring to. Without Prime, Amazon typically takes 2-3 days to ship your order, then another few days for the carrier to deliver it.
    I have Prime, and I still get packages in three days from time to time. I'm pissed about it every time, but there's little recourse aside from bitching at Amazon and hoping they give you a credit (and sometimes they even will). It depends on how fucking lazy UPS and FedEx are, because once they pass it off to the USPS, they count it as "delivered".

Love my local Post Office though, they're champs. They've even managed to put the packages in my mailbox before I had cleared it of snow (they are not required to deliver mail if your box isn't clear, if you're consistently nice to them, they'll do it anyway).

Honestly, I'm pretty sure Prime isn't 2-day shipping at all, All Amazon shipping is 2 days. I bet they have a bulk agreement with UPS and FedEx, maybe even a flat rate due to the overwhelming volume they put into the system. Shipping packages is the most lucrative part of that whole system. Ask any USPS employee. They love when you pick up a package at the office that you had to sign for but weren't home, it's big bucks. That's also why UPS/FedEx generally don't do letters, they're not worth it.

Even when I was on Super Savings Shipping, my package would often arrive the same day it was "shipped." When you get Amazon Prime, you're paying for same-day or one-day processing and handling. It's pretty clever on their part to call it otherwise.

It's not so much that Amazon is losing money with the current rate, it's UPS/FedEx/USPS. It's mostly due to the increase in fuel, and dropping value of the dollar. Everything goes up, but unlike a grocery store or gas station, Amazon can't incrementally raise prices that they need to pass on to the customer without everyone instantly noticing. Amazon has probably been eating the cost for years, but can't afford to anymore.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 03-21-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity of point