Page 95 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

I just got home from work and there were these two Chinese people on the bus mixing English words in to Mandarin. I was angry.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    I'm freaking pissed at myself, because I made the mistake of plugging in 6 pretty high-end poweredge 1950's (dual quad-core xeon 3.16, 16gb ram, 4x146gb 10k sas 2.5inch disks) into a 20 amp fused busway access box. It was fine when they were just idle, but when I started initializing raids and installing systems, they suddenly just ... went dark.

Turns out, I was probably pulling in the neighborhood of 25 amps through it, and rather than the 20 amp fuse popping like it's supposed to, the whole frigging busway box seems to have died. This sets me back about a day in what I was doing, because now I've gotta get facilities to come in and put in a new box or two.

I think I'm going to run into this same situation again in the middle of next week, when we power on half a dozen disk shelves in a rack that's already got 3 more of those fairly beefy poweredges on one circuit and is pushing 10-15 amps to the cabinet next to it on the other one.

20 amps just ... isn't enough power.

lol noob.....

So what happened to the fuse? Did you ever find out why it didn't blow?

And did you have any say in ordering Dell products? Cause I'd be more upset with myself about that.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    No idea why the fuse lived and the box died. Maybe the electrician will be able to shed some light tomorrow...

As far as dell stuff goes ... given that we're about 75% a hardcore linux shop, and 25% windows.... who's better? I have some voice on the subject, but based on my experience with them and with other vendors in the same sector, I'm all for it being a dell shop. They make some nice server hardware for just absurdly cheap prices.

Gets more ass than a toilet seat! Eurasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    How does that compare to breaking $150 earphones? And now my Xbox is out of commission and I can't play GTA:IV for at least a week until my new power supply arrives in the mail. You think you've got it bad with a near abduction? Cry baby.
    I wonder who is the bigger cry baby here...boo hoo.

I tried my best...

If they were $10 headphones it wouldn't matter, but we're talking about high-fidelity noise-canceling aural-nirvana headphones here. And a week without GTA:IV when you're deep in the midst of a possible mafia war between the Gambetti's and the Pegorinos is just torture. Pure torture.

At least your problem was only a near abduction. You survived it, next time you'll know better. We were all genuinely concerned. I promise.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Want to elaborate on your story Eurasian?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Gets more ass than a toilet seat! Eurasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Want to elaborate on your story Eurasian?
    Find me on irc! =)

I tried my best...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    No idea why the fuse lived and the box died. Maybe the electrician will be able to shed some light tomorrow...
    Turns out, the box and the fuse were both fine. It was the power strip (also rated 20A) that died. And it died below 20A, because it's also got a 20A breaker built in that didn't trip.

Now I've got the power distributed a bit better (on two strips on two boxes, about evenly distributed). Had to install another box to make room, but no biggie there.

So yeah .... it was a mistake on my part to plug that much shit in to the same strip, but the strip was also poorly built and died before it should have. All very depressing.

Straight from my Facebook:

Today is the first time this term that I forgot to bring my house keys to work. It just so happens that when I got back from work, my room door was locked. I never lock my door, even when I'm gone, so somebody locked it from the inside. Who? I don't now. Somebody.

I tried calling my landlord but she had her phone turned off, so all I got was voice mail. The thing is, her voice mail is always full so that doesn't do me any good.

I walked to the dollar store in the nearby plaza and bought a screwdriver. Dollar store my ass. Nothing was a dollar in that store. The screwdriver costed me $2.50 + tax. Goddamn Koreans...

I unscrewed the fasteners that held the window screen on the outside of the house and pried the screen off with a spoon. Then I lifted my window open and climbed in using a kitchen stool. Luckily my room is on the ground floor and I didn't lock the window. My clothes got covered in dirt but that's okay. I'm back on the computer now and that's all that matters. In a brand new change of clothes, no less.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Upset that you couldn't buy MGS4?

I guess the real thing isn't as exciting as it looks, now is it?

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I feel like MGS4ing whoever did this to me.

I just bought a jar of Skippy's Natural peanut butter, assuming it would have less saturated fat than the regular kind. Stupid assumption.

I get home and realize it's actually got more saturated fat because of the ingredient they use to keep it from separating. Waste of money and food right there. Shit.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Saturated fat PER SERVING. Just dilute it with olive oil or something. Better yet, use peanut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    Saturated fat PER SERVING. Just dilute it with olive oil or something. Better yet, use peanut oil.
    Wouldn't you just use less of it?

We've seen your pictures, Xan. You're 21 and seem to be in great health. Why are you worrying about things like saturated fat? Wait until you're in your 30s and 40s. Then it's all anyone talks about, plus cholesterol, carbs, etc. It really does get tiresome listening to them.

We've seen your pictures, Xan. You're 21 and seem to be in great health. Why are you worrying about things like saturated fat? Wait until you're in your 30s and 40s. Then it's all anyone talks about, plus cholesterol, carbs, etc. It really does get tiresome listening to them.
    I wouldn't wait till 30 my friend. Start as early as you can. What's more important is to do something that you find comfortable and will comply with. There's no use having a healthy eating plan if you don't follow it, so just choose something healthy, even if a little, and stick with it.

I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. Getting old sucks. Yes, it's a part of life, but if you can somewhat control the risks of whether you get old healthily, or get old falling apart, why not? Really, you can enjoy a healthy lifestyle as much as a not-so-healthy one all the same. It's a state of mind. You can't say the same about enjoying living with or without Rheumatoid Arthritis, for example.

A common argument is that a shorter, good quality life is better than a longer, drawn out living death. Whether that's true is up to you. Thing is, life doesn't go that way. There's no telling that a short life is a good quality one, and a long one is tormented by diseases. What's important is to look after yourself while you can, so however long you live, you live it to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Wouldn't you just use less of it?
    But then you wouldn't be able to cover the entire slice of bread.

Sorry if I sounded anal about a few grams of saturated fat. I'm still going to eat the peanut butter, because I really don't like wasting food (and it's really not that much more fat). It's just I've been constructing a healthy diet for myself to follow in order to "clean bulk" (getting bigger without getting fatter) and keep doing stupid stuff without double checking first. It's frustrating.

Also Buffalobiian is right about everything he said. It's not so much worrying as it is making sure you're on the right track. I have a friend who worries that he's fat, when he's not and it's very annoying. I myself am making sure that I'm eating in a way that's conducive to my goals.