Page 94 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    One thing I've never been able to do is to mix them. I use one or the other. I hear others do it, and it definitely sounds odd. Of course, that is besides the obvious words.
    That's another thing about fobs that annoy me. In the middle of every sentence, they'll slot in an English word. It's the cool thing to do in Asia right now, which is a shame.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    If Chinglish means saying different words of a sentence in random Chinese/English, then yes. Abbreviations are alright, like CPU, NBA or KFC. Just words like cup, toilet paper or house. It's not like, bad or anything, since I encourage those who live in places other than their country of heritage to learn their, or their parent's native tongue. It just sounds weird sometimes, that's all.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Yesterday my manager came to talk about my situation.

red = Mandarin
    blue = English

A lot of fobs from Beijing speak like this. It pisses me off.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Really? The fobs I see don't usually do that. It's more the ones who were born here (Australia, we speak English), and they'll use English words when they can't find the equivalent in Chinese.

That's why I didn't want to call it bad in my last post, since every effort made to speak another language should be encouraged.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    It's more the ones who were born here (Australia, we speak English), and they'll use English words when they can't find the equivalent in Chinese.
    That's perfectly fine.

Mixing English into Mandarin because you think it's the cool thing to do, on the other hand, is not fine.

Blog Entries
    We suffered a similar epidemic around here in Portugal too but it has passed now. Thank God...

Well shit, in one week I've managed to break my Shure headphones and burn up my XBox360 power supply. It's costing me $250 to replace them. Just recently I was thinking how lucky I've been that electronics stuff I own usually last a long time with no problems.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Gets more ass than a toilet seat! Eurasian's Avatar
    I almost got abducted...

I tried my best...

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    That's perfectly fine.
    Mixing English into Mandarin because you think it's the cool thing to do, on the other hand, is not fine.
    *Shudders* Reminds me of how some quebequers mix English and French so unashamedly.

@Eurasian: 0.o

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Eurasian
    I almost got abducted...
    That's what you get by visiting Assertn. He couldn't get enough of you.

I almost got abducted...
    How does that compare to breaking $150 earphones? And now my Xbox is out of commission and I can't play GTA:IV for at least a week until my new power supply arrives in the mail. You think you've got it bad with a near abduction? Cry baby.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

I almost got abducted...
    I don't know if Assertn trying to lock you in his closet would qualify as almost getting abducted but its still your fault because you should know not to trust him.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Board of Command
    You're going to hate Singlish then. Just like how I hate it, though I think I occasionally use it subconciously. Just check out the grammar section and see the examples, to realise how bad it is. Sad thing is most people here speak this way. Serious. It's even becoming a national problem.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Why is it so damn cute when the Japanese mix in English words?

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    You're going to hate Singlish then. Just like how I hate it, though I think I occasionally use it subconciously. Just check out the grammar section and see the examples, to realise how bad it is. Sad thing is most people here speak this way. Serious. It's even becoming a national problem.
    I find that really cool. Though it basically looks and sounds like every other existing creole/pidgin language out there.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    Why is it so damn cute when the Japanese mix in English words?
    It's the nonsensical misuses and mangled mispronunciations, mainly.

I really like how they take a word like "klaxon" and transform it into "ku-ra-ku-shon", or "spiral" into "su-pi-ra-lu". Ahh, those crazy Japanezees.

I think that's the very reason it doesn't always sound so bad in Japan. Deformed like that, the words fuse pretty well into the real Japanese.

That's because everything the Japanese do are better. It's the reason they are the model for other Asian cultures, or at least should be. But mostly only for the superficial stuff. If you look any deeper into their culture, it's a cesspool like any other.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Japanese isn't the only language to use loan words in that way. Kinyarwanda is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I know there are more.

It's not totally uncommon for languages that don't allow codas (basically a consonant at the end of a syllable), to incorporate loan words by inserting vowels. I know we came across at least 3 in one of my classes last semester.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs