Page 67 of 254 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by python862
    [b]

Turn on the television and tune to the news. What's the first thing that you're going to hear? "Violence in videogames is poisoning the youth of America". Yeah. Right. Keep thinking that, you might believe it one day. America's youth is poisoned not by violence in a virtual simulation. Instead, look to the true cause of the problem. If parents can't maintain at least a small amount of control on their kids, they don't deserve to be parents. It's not the videogames' fault that the parents got divorced.
    It's not the videogames' fault that the parents don't love their kids
    It's not the videogames' fault that even some poor kids get beat because they aren't being good little slaves.

Point being: Videogames alone aren't going to cause poor little Timmy Tom to go shoot up his school, yet they're being blamed constantly anyway.

It doesn't even matter, the storylines, the wit of characters, the things that make great games the way they are. A game could be so good, and yet can be tarnished in a snap by having been convicted of mass murder, as it were. I'm surprised that they haven't hit up Halo 3 just yet, and I hope they never will.

Anyway, give me responses, challenges, votes for the next rant, things like that...

Have fun!
    Challenge:
    I got my tooth knocked out by a PS2 once... Game inside you may ask? Destroy all humans... Videogames are dangerous! HA! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by python862
    Well, folks, it's time again for me to make a fool of myself.
    I win...

Told ya I would, and wouldn't ya know it, I did a better job than usual
    Now 99% disease free!

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    You of all people should realize, Death BOO, that playing Call of Duty does not make you a good soldier, just like watching Hokuto no Ken does not make you a good fighter. I can't imagine why you would even think of believing that.

The only way kids are influenced by violent video games is if they already have sociopathic tendencies to begin with.
    actually, call of duty, can help in trainning a better soldier. it's a matter of quickly regiestering nearby (suddenly appearing) objects as enemies and acting at a certain way. which is just conditioning, 'see Y, Do X'. that's why model targets are in the form of human soldier and not in the form of butterflies or pinetrees.
    it's not perfect, or even anywhere near useful, but it's the same principal.

HnK might not be a good example, but what about more realstic animes (Ippo, for example) or even not-so-animated violence such as Mixed Matrial arts? Again, not perfect, but if you're clever enough, you might pick up some hints.

I'm not saying that it makes kids violence, but it makes them more dangerous to themselves and eachother. since when they fight, they'll be armed better to hurt each other.
    another example: Show a kid that's it's possible to hurt someone with a knife, and give all kids knives. next time they fight, one of them will bring out a knife, becuase he knows that knives can be used to hurt someone.

that's like saying doing anything that might make your reflexes better makes you a more dangerous person.

sorry, but that's just poor logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z
    Show a kid that's it's possible to hurt someone with a knife, and give all kids knives. next time they fight, one of them will bring out a knife, becuase he knows that knives can be used to hurt someone.
    I'd have to disagree with that. They'll use the knives not because it can hurt people, but because it will hurt more than fists. What would you rather prefer as a weapon: your fist or a knife? Choosing the knife is just rational thinking. You'd have to be insane (literally) to use your fists when the knife is available to you.

This is all very interesting, but i think we already have a thread for video game violence. Lets just bitch about how stupid Death Boo Z's remarks are in this thread and not try to counter them with logic, ok?

As a person with military training, leadership training included, I have to say for my own part I haven't particularly felt playing FPS games would have made my soldiering skills better, though not the contrary either. One of the FPS games I played most is, though, Operation Flashpoint, which was probably the most realistic modern combat simulator out there. It's hard to say what kind of effect it might have had, but one thing is sure: I enjoyed it a lot more probably because I had military training already when I began to play it, and those skills helped a little in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahchan
    My friend power leveled from 45-60 and got banned for 2 days but he told me that a GM told him its a 3 strike your out rule depending on what you do. Wouldnt powerlvling be just as bad as gold selling?
    Yeah it would, but I'd say he was lucky. I know that when I sold gold in an unsecured way(on other accounts) I got the final warning at once on one account, and permanent ban on three others. I had no warnings from before of. Then again I haven't been on US servers for 2 months or so now so they might have softened up or something. And, it depends on which GM. I know people who have got a whisper from GM during botting, and have managed to talk their way out of it by blaming lagg. Thankfully I've never gotten a GM whisper when botting myself.

If you get banned due to such reasons do they refund any unused days you might have? Or do they have such an EULA that it allows them to do whatever they want?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    If you get banned due to such reasons do they refund any unused days you might have? Or do they have such an EULA that it allows them to do whatever they want?
    They don't refund anything. They can do whatever they want(with the account) if you're found to be breaking the EULA in any way. So if you have a half year subscription active, you're screwed if you're banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    As a person with military training, leadership training included, I have to say for my own part I haven't particularly felt playing FPS games would have made my soldiering skills better, though not the contrary either. One of the FPS games I played most is, though, Operation Flashpoint, which was probably the most realistic modern combat simulator out there. It's hard to say what kind of effect it might have had, but one thing is sure: I enjoyed it a lot more probably because I had military training already when I began to play it, and those skills helped a little in the beginning.
    Simulation is playing an increasingly important role in military training. We even have labs built to play games. I mean train soldiers.
    Last edited by Psyke; Mon, 10-15-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

America's Army is the most realistic game I've played. It's so realistic that it's not even fun.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Damn internet-related problems. I need to check my email to see where and when this test review is taking place, and for the first time in about 3 years, the site is "under maintenance".

Fuck that. I didn't sleep last night, and I really need to check my email now so I can take a nap and be ready to study without falling asleep later on. Murphy's Law...

Also what's the deal with people walking backwards in crowded streets to shout one last little thing to the person they're talking to?? If one more faggot bumps into me this way I'm gonna push him in front of a moving bus.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Why do people feel the need to complain to me about the prices of some items at my work? I don't set the prices, people...so telling me it's cheaper somewhere else will yield ZERO results. I'm not going to give you a discount and I'm not going to ask the owners to change the prices, even if they're my parents. If you don't like the price, just say, "No thanks" and go to that "cheaper place." And if you think I'm going to be dragged into an argument with you, think again. It's a place of business, not a public discussion forum. Either buy your shit and leave or just FUCK OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by fahoumh
    Why do people feel the need to complain to me about the prices of some items at my work? I don't set the prices, people...so telling me it's cheaper somewhere else will yield ZERO results. I'm not going to give you a discount and I'm not going to ask the owners to change the prices, even if they're my parents. If you don't like the price, just say, "No thanks" and go to that "cheaper place." And if you think I'm going to be dragged into an argument with you, think again. It's a place of business, not a public discussion forum. Either buy your shit and leave or just FUCK OFF.
    I know what you mean. I used to work at a gas station about two years ago during the summer and it sucked a lot, mainly due to people complaining about the gas prices (it would reach around $1.15 per Litre, this is Canada). People put in gas, come inside to pay, then bitch about the prices at me, as if I'm the one who sets them. Some even yelled, which really pissed me off. I just do what I'm told to do, yet I'm suddenly the big boss? I never thought I would run into so many damn idiots in one summer.

Wow, that's pathetic. As far as I know, gas prices at the stations are set by the corporate head offices so they're even out of the hands of the operator of any station. My cousin's dad has a gas station and Shell calls in to tell them the price.

It IS pathetic. That's pretty much how the gas stations work, yet the majority of people think that the manager or even me set the prices.

I don't have enough monies for an XBOX 360, PS3, or/and a Wii.

I just downloaded what I thought was Halo 2 for the XBOX.... It was Halo 1.... I am kinda sad, kinda mad but hey, now I have Halo 1. Now I just have to find Halo 2, should not be too hard.. I hope.

Jaitne, Neither do I, that is why I was overjoyed when I got it for free! Please reference this thread for more information.

Edit: Oh yes, and the university shut off the dorm air conditioning.... it is hot in here now. A overheated Spiegel is not a happy Spiegel...
    Last edited by Spiegel; Sat, 10-20-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiegel
    Jaitne, Neither do I, that is why I was overjoyed when I got it for free! Please reference this thread for more information.
    I love you. Let me come to your house and play with your Wii ;;>.>