Page 190 of 254 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,800 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    I spent half of my time last year personally grading papers for my students. It was a complete waste of my time and energy because they would just glance at the corrections and throw them away later.

This year I have tried getting the students to grade each others papers honestly, and even that seems to be too difficult for them. Putting aside the fact that we've spent 2 weeks learning numbers and how to say "Hello" (something that should have taken 2 days), the little assholes can't even correct papers well.

I provided them a word bank, stressed that I would count spelling errors as an incorrect answer, and actually went over the correct answers on an overheard directly after the quiz saying "IF IT'S NOT EXACTLY LIKE THIS, IT IS WRONG"!

I still received answers that said "BUNOZ DIAZ" instead of "Buenos dνas" that were marked correct by other students. I'm spinning my wheels in the mud here.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

I blame social media and too much time spent online, so kids are used to saying OMGWTFBBQ instead of "this is as good as bbq". Sorry to make light of your situation, but really these kids should be learning English, not Spanglish.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    I spent half of my time last year personally grading papers for my students. It was a complete waste of my time and energy because they would just glance at the corrections and throw them away later.

This year I have tried getting the students to grade each others papers honestly, and even that seems to be too difficult for them. Putting aside the fact that we've spent 2 weeks learning numbers and how to say "Hello" (something that should have taken 2 days), the little assholes can't even correct papers well.

I provided them a word bank, stressed that I would count spelling errors as an incorrect answer, and actually went over the correct answers on an overheard directly after the quiz saying "IF IT'S NOT EXACTLY LIKE THIS, IT IS WRONG"!

I still received answers that said "BUNOZ DIAZ" instead of "Buenos dνas" that were marked correct by other students. I'm spinning my wheels in the mud here.
    Sounds like a bunch of retards. And you're in Texas. Just fail them all. :/
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

I'm not allowed to have more than a 10% failing rate among my students.

I have 178 in total, and 6 periods. That's about 3 kids per period.

I even went around the classroom pointing out spelling mistakes that some kids had made, saying "Check your spelling," and they just sat there, slack-jawed, glancing lazily back and forth between "COMO TE LAMO" and the word-bank without realizing anything.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Blog Entries
    Oh wow, i'd give them all Bs and not give a fuck

What does that even mean, not allowed? What the fuck are you supposed to do if they're just that dumb?

Unfortunately a poor passing rate could also mean he's a bad teacher, or the district will see it that way to make excuses for their poor curriculum and lack of parental involvement. He could be a handy scapegoat.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Unfortunately that's exactly the way the district sees it. It falls under job performance. If you are not performing to the standards that the district has set, corrective action needs to be taken.

That can range from administrative conferences, increased monitoring, being put on a growth-plan, all the way to getting fired.

Student achievement is part of our performance and is something we are held responsible for.

However, there are systems in place to show that the teacher has done all they can. We are required to make parent contacts to failing students every 3 weeks, fill out "intervention documentation", and provide "reteach and retest" opportunities. Once we can prove that a student has not fulfilled their obligations, the responsibility falls on them.

Otherwise it's assumed that there is a flaw in your methods.

I say bring back the paddle.

My bitch: spent the 3 day holiday weekend not doing much at all and I feel like I'm wasting my life.

My bitch: americans using terms like "the 3 day holiday weekend" as if everyone is american.
    There was a holiday in your country?
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Yes, today is Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo View Post
    Unfortunately that's exactly the way the district sees it. It falls under job performance. If you are not performing to the standards that the district has set, corrective action needs to be taken.

That can range from administrative conferences, increased monitoring, being put on a growth-plan, all the way to getting fired.

Student achievement is part of our performance and is something we are held responsible for.

However, there are systems in place to show that the teacher has done all they can. We are required to make parent contacts to failing students every 3 weeks, fill out "intervention documentation", and provide "reteach and retest" opportunities. Once we can prove that a student has not fulfilled their obligations, the responsibility falls on them.

Otherwise it's assumed that there is a flaw in your methods.
    You should try giving out more quizzes once every week. Have a quiz, say, every week and when you grade their quizzes, buy stickers with your own money and give students who score over 80% on the quiz. This small act of achievement has shown to increase productivity with students - even if they are in their high school year.

Or you can incorporate more fun into your classes like that time with the whiteboard. Calling kids to read or write on the whiteboard is something to do as well.

Furthermore, if you're funny, your students will pay attention to you. Just make sure to stay tough so it's both an enjoyable class and mentally-challenging.

As for bitching, I wish people don't litter in the store I work in. I wonder what goes through their heads when they leave, say, an empty coffee cup on a shelf and then walk away.

It's probably, "They'll clean it up. It's their job - they're getting paid to do it."

But that thought is so one-dimensional, it makes me think whether any inherent malicious intent exists. Is it a sign of condescension? Are these people just littering because they have to do the "dirty work" in their own work environments and want to feel good that someone is picking up their trash? Or are people just so damn lazy that they can't ask around for a garbage can to throw away their unwanted possessions?

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    My bitch: americans using terms like "the 3 day holiday weekend" as if everyone is american.
    Other countries have 3 day holiday weekends too. Welcome to a forum hosted and populated with 95% Americans and other countries that have 3 day holiday weekends.

@enkoujin: actually that's not a bad idea... not the stickers, but maybe Xan should reexamine his methods and try a new tact. Maybe he'll have to go "Jon Lovitz in High School High" and talk street to the kids, or be a sonuvabitch asshole type teacher who makes kids scared to fail. Maybe you're treating them too much like adults when they are in fact children. Or maybe you're treating them too much like children when they need to be treated more like young adults.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Other countries have 3 day holiday weekends too. Welcome to a forum hosted and populated with 95% Americans and other countries that have 3 day holiday weekends.
    95%? Check your math bitch, active American posters should be around 50% tops

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    95%? Check your math bitch, active American posters should be around 50% tops
    According to South and Latin Americans, "American" should mean anyone from the Americas, similar to "Asian" encompassing all people from Asia (you brown people know what I'm talking about). So we got Ryouga and anyone from the western hemisphere > 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    You should try giving out more quizzes once every week. Have a quiz, say, every week and when you grade their quizzes, buy stickers with your own money and give students who score over 80% on the quiz. This small act of achievement has shown to increase productivity with students - even if they are in their high school year.

Or you can incorporate more fun into your classes like that time with the whiteboard. Calling kids to read or write on the whiteboard is something to do as well.

Furthermore, if you're funny, your students will pay attention to you. Just make sure to stay tough so it's both an enjoyable class and mentally-challenging.
    I do all of these things.

The correct answer is "Stop counting spelling mistakes as incorrect."

Because this is a Texas public school, sooner or later I'm going to have to compromise my values for the sake of my sanity and job security.

Do you ever worry that someone at work/school will see what you are posting here about your work and put 2 and 2 together and get you in trouble?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    According to South and Latin Americans, "American" should mean anyone from the Americas, similar to "Asian" encompassing all people from Asia (you brown people know what I'm talking about). So we got Ryouga and anyone from the western hemisphere > 95%.
    According to proper context, you're being a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    According to proper context, you're being a retard.
    Do you ever get tired of being schooled and then only being able to reply with a weak insult?

Blog Entries
    DS mentions an holiday exclusive to the USA
    Make claims that 95% of the forum hail from the region
    Get called on retarded assumption
    lolol but what i was saying didn't have anything to do with nothing
    ??????
    Profit!

Brool story co

What age group are you teaching Xan? Might want to consider making a wall of shame and a wall for excellence. Might help them become more motivated.

Depends on your teaching approach too, might want to try a rewards system and group system or something.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.