Page 158 of 254 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Homeowners' Insurance doesn't cover flooding, and most Flood Insurance (I found out today while talking to co-workers) doesn't cover flooding in your basement. Just the first floor and up.

(Other quirks in the insurance world is that Auto Insurance covers your car, but Renters'/Homeowners' covers everything that was inside it.)

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    So it's absolutely beautiful outside right now... 75 and sunny, and I get home from work early specifically to go get on my bike for the first time since fall of last year. Come home, do the prep work, roll out the door and ride about two glorious miles, when my back tire springs a leak, and I have to walk the two trudging miles back with disabled bike in tow.

Least it wasn't further out...

Your bike was telling you to fix a few bugs before you hit the highways, Complich, if you know what I mean...

Just joking, of course.

Well, this has been on my mind for awhile, and now with the release of the latest South Park episode (loved it as always), I just decided to post this.

Okay, all these people in "Real life," Facebook, Myspace, and other social networking sites claim to have so many friends and so on, but are they really all your "friends"?

I think a lot of these people confuse an acquaintance for a friend. 'Cause to me, I don't consider so many people to be actual "friends." The other people are more or less acquaintances. People that I know, see every now and then, make small talk and stuff, but I don't really know that well. You rarely speak to them, or hang out with them. Kind of like people on MSN who you see on, but never talk to, don't remember how they ended up on your contact list, and vaguely remember who they are.

Friends are people that you're really close to, hang out very often with, share many things/secrets with, extremely comfortable around, and you trust them completely. They stick with you, and they stand by you. Close-knit.

Everyone always claim and say they have so many friends on Facebook and such, but there not. For example, this guy I know since HS (whom I consider a friend) is a Real Estate Agent now, and he has like over 5000+ friends. He constantly brings it up. But, in my mind, I'm like, are they really all your "friends"? In "real life" too, people think they have so many friends, and that they're so popular, but I'm just pedantic and think they should say acquaintances instead.

There's a distinction between an "acquaintance" and a "friend." I think some of these people far too often confuse the two.

I know, I'm odd.
    Last edited by Zati; Fri, 04-09-2010 at 04:32 AM.

friends in face book are the same kind of 'friend' you have in the message board.
    people you can tell jokes to or ask technical questions, but don't expect them to always be there when you need them.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zati View Post

There's a distinction between an "acquaintance" and a "friend." I think some of these people far too often confuse the two.

I know, I'm odd.
    Not at all, I make this clear distinction myself too, I actually find it odd that people, like you said, intermix the two often.

And yeah South Park was great ;D
    -----------------

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Add me to the list.

I've got a number of people on my waiting list to be added, but I've never added them because I never considered them my "friend", according to the above definition.

Thing is with Facebook, it doesn't let you differenciate between Friends and Acquaintance, at least to my knowledge. So if you want to know what's going on, keep in touch with acquaintances in your field of work and form some sort of online networking, you can't be too picky and close yourself off.

I've only just started to think about that and perhaps add "friends" on facebook who aren't really friends. Of course, that's just a facebook workaround. They weren't, and still aren't, people I'd boast about as my friend.

As for message board friends... I'd say they're not always on the same level as aquantences. For one, I'd put a good chunk of the active GW members (and some less active ones) much higher than my aquantence "friends".

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zati View Post
    I would assume it's more that some people see online friends as a commodity, as the SP episode said. I have never met anyone who treats their friend list like a measure of their actual personal relationships, but I do know people who genuinely enjoy the idea of being popular and well-connected. Having a large friends list is just a means towards that end.

Some people just feel more fulfilled with a pool of friends that is "wider" than it is "deeper".

I think there are probably more people who see Facebook as a medium of communication rather than as a measure of the strength of their relationships. But then again, maybe I just don't "friend" the people like the latter.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Why is the world filled with idiots? And why is it that when I think that I'm finally not dealing with one it turns out they are in fact an idiot?
    ..........:[

/dissapointment-rage rant.
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    Why is the world filled with idiots? And why is it that when I think that I'm finally not dealing with one it turns out they are in fact an idiot?
    ..........:[

/dissapointment-rage rant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5Xs0s55eU

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    somebody stole my headphones ( Skullcandy Inkd ) from my desk at work... I don't know if it was cleaning people or somebody just coming in my office taking my shit... .but I just assume that somebody I work with would have the common curtesy to at least leave a note saying they were borrowing my shit... otherwise it's theft.

I mean... If I were going to go into somebodies office and steal their headphones, i would have taken the clearly visible unopened extra set and not the ones that have been in my ears w\ my ear wax all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu View Post
    I mean... If I were going to go into somebodies office and steal their headphones, i would have taken the clearly visible unopened extra set and not the ones that have been in my ears w\ my ear wax all over them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanbcoo
    that about answers your question.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Sooo, my gf has been mentioning a suspiciously large amount of friends of hers that are married. I think she might be trying to hint to me that she wants to get married, which to me is a very scary thought.

That being said though, she could just have mentioned them for no deeper reason than small talk, and I'm just being paranoid. AAAAARGH!!! Why cant women be straightforward instead of having to use subtleties and implications to get their messages across!!!?!

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Just get married and you'll again return to the old tranquility. Until she starts to talk about how cute babies are...

Get married on your terms, when you think the time is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Squiggles View Post
    Sooo, my gf has been mentioning a suspiciously large amount of friends of hers that are married. I think she might be trying to hint to me that she wants to get married, which to me is a very scary thought.
    Seems like y'all are gonna have a very serious conversation soon. Itadakimasu is right though, don't agree to anything you're not absolutely comfortable with.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    That's what she WANTS you to do.

Don't get sucked in!
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJWii...os=YWyg8e4y5zU

Youtube closed Darksydephil's official channel and deleted all of his thousands of videos.

Wow, that fucking sucks, I remember actually playing him awhile back with HDremix on live
    -----------------

by goddamn battle.net account got hacked - it had my wow account and SC2 beta.. some goddamn faggot set up the authenticator key for it....

of course i've written to blizz, and provided them with photo of my ID-Card as a proof.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE