Page 154 of 254 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    where are you downloading from?

it'd be embarrassing to get sued over some lame ass movie like the notebook or something.

I think it's like jury duty. Once you get tagged, they keep targeting you. Better not to register to vote in the first place so they can't get you for selective service or jury duty.

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itadakimasu
    where are you downloading from?

it'd be embarrassing to get sued over some lame ass movie like the notebook or something.
    The first one was for the newer War of the Worlds movie, that's embarrassing enough. The second one was for the anime Phantom. Funimation had just recently licensed that show and as I understand it they are pretty cutthroat about people downloading their material. This one came from NBC Universal, all downloaded from torrents.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    I got another cease and desist order, this time for downloading Frost/Nixon.

WHY DOES THIS KEEP FUCKING HAPPENING TO ME???
    That's fucking lame. I can understand the companies being vigilant with something new, like Avatar, but this movie is 2 years old now.

I got one for downloading South Park a few days after I stopped the download and deleted the data.

EDIT: Plus we pay for high-speed and bandwidth. Do they seriously think people use 10+ megabit connections to just check email?
    Last edited by fahoumh; Mon, 02-22-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah I got caught for downloading Ironman 2 year ago.I've been a little bit more cautious ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by fahoumh
    EDIT: Plus we pay for high-speed and bandwidth. Do they seriously think people use 10+ megabit connections to just check email?
    They like to believe you use it for Youtube

To be honest, that's like saying the police should let you drive 120mph on the freeway since your car can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage
    Yeah I got caught for downloading Ironman 2 year ago.I've been a little bit more cautious ever since.
    You got caught downloading Ironman 2 a year ago or Ironman 2 years ago?

“For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?”

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    They like to believe you use it for Youtube
    Sounds like they're either in denial or completely brain-dead. Plus, more than 90% of Youtube content is unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    To be honest, that's like saying the police should let you drive 120mph on the freeway since your car can handle it.
    I disagree with your analogy. If anything, I would say it's like car companies manufacturing cars with 300+ hp and going 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds then not expecting people to drive fast.

I'm pissed at my stats professor. He intentionally did not cover some material that is on our homework so we're expected to read the book, figure it out ourselves, and do the homework before the material is ever discussed in class. What's the point of attending the f*cking lectures then if I can just read the book to do the work? Might explain why 40% of the class has stopped attending lectures since class began 5 weeks ago.

To make things even more frustrating, he emails us the formulae to use on the homework and writes it like a 2nd grader. We're talking math formulae written in straight line with no parentheses, so it looks like x*y+2/z-8*3. And NO it's not a simple task of just going by operator priority, it's a math formula to calculate a result from given inputs.

Sounds like they're either in denial or completely brain-dead. Plus, more than 90% of Youtube content is unwatchable.

I disagree with your analogy. If anything, I would say it's like car companies manufacturing cars with 300+ hp and going 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds then not expecting people to drive fast.
    Well your analogy is flawed in that the car manufacturers aren't the ones punishing you for driving fast, neither are the ISPs the ones punishing you for downloading copyrighted content. They are simply acting on behalf of the MPAA and RIAA and copyright owners.

You can get anything in super mega capacity/power/style, but just like buying that super duper Mac with 10 patties, it doesn't mean you should eat the whole thing.

Well your analogy is flawed in that the car manufacturers aren't the ones punishing you for driving fast, neither are the ISPs the ones punishing you for downloading copyrighted content. They are simply acting on behalf of the MPAA and RIAA and copyright owners.

You can get anything in super mega capacity/power/style, but just like buying that super duper Mac with 10 patties, it doesn't mean you should eat the whole thing.
    You suck at reasoning and argumentation.

You suck at reasoning and argumentation.
    Effective enough to whomp your ass at both.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm with Ani on this whole analogy thing. Further, it's not really about what the ISP expects you do with that bandwidth. They give it to you because it sells as a service much the same way sports cars sell as a car. It's legal for them to sell it. It's legal for you to buy it. It's illegal for you to speed with it.

And there ARE ways to download movies legally. Most just don't choose to.

PS: were these all using public trackers right?
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Tue, 02-23-2010 at 12:39 AM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

There seriously isn't anything to do with a 10+ mb connection other than to pirate videos?

Are you just bitching that you should not be held responsible for illegal activity if someone else provides you with the means to engage in illegal activity?
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Further, it's not really about what the ISP expects you do with that bandwidth. They give it to you because it sells as a service much the same way sports cars sell as a car. It's legal for them to sell it. It's legal for you to buy it. It's illegal for you to speed with it.

And there ARE ways to download movies legally. Most just don't choose to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    There seriously isn't anything to do with a 10+ mb connection other than to pirate videos?

Are you just bitching that you should not be held responsible for illegal activity if someone else provides you with the means to engage in illegal activity?
    Ah...touchι. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I guess it would be like graffito tagging a building then complaining when you got caught.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm pissed at my stats professor. He intentionally did not cover some material that is on our homework so we're expected to read the book, figure it out ourselves, and do the homework before the material is ever discussed in class. What's the point of attending the f*cking lectures then if I can just read the book to do the work? Might explain why 40% of the class has stopped attending lectures since class began 5 weeks ago.

To make things even more frustrating, he emails us the formulae to use on the homework and writes it like a 2nd grader. We're talking math formulae written in straight line with no parentheses, so it looks like x*y+2/z-8*3. And NO it's not a simple task of just going by operator priority, it's a math formula to calculate a result from given inputs.
    Heh, that reminds me of a lecturer we had 2 years ago. For some reason she liked teaching with a tablet-PC, and thinks drawing diagrams fron stratch with it while explaining as she drew was more effective than showing a completed diagram and explaining that instead. Basically she talks at half speed then to match her drawing pace, and she never finishes the lecture in time, thereby asking us to read the rest of the stuff at home. (usually the hardest bits of the lecture are in the end, or at least the most detailed stuff).

I'm sure she didn't do it on purpose, but it was rather pointless. Half of us slept as soon as she starts drawing.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Heh, that reminds me of a lecturer we had 2 years ago. For some reason she liked teaching with a tablet-PC, and thinks drawing diagrams fron stratch with it while explaining as she drew was more effective than showing a completed diagram and explaining that instead. Basically she talks at half speed then to match her drawing pace, and she never finishes the lecture in time, thereby asking us to read the rest of the stuff at home. (usually the hardest bits of the lecture are in the end, or at least the most detailed stuff).

I'm sure she didn't do it on purpose, but it was rather pointless. Half of us slept as soon as she starts drawing.
    It's unfortunate but since my uni is a "research uni" that means a lot of the professors are actually researchers who lecture classes on the side. You can tell where their priorities are, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be properly teaching classes.

I started checking classpoint.com to get reviews of professors but since this is my current prof's first semester as a lecturer (you can tell this too), there were no reviews available. His class fit in best with my schedule, but now I'm regretting taking his class.

Our only recourse is the end of semester instructor feedback form, and in the meantime our studies, our GPA, and our futures have to suffer.

The lecturer of the stats course I took was a mumbling old professor and I'm 100% sure 90% of the students attenting the lectures understood no more than 30% of what he said (yeah, I was among them). He certainly wasn't there to teach anybody but to simply cover the stuff as quickly as possible and go back to whatever research he was really interested in.

Fortunately the practical part of the stats course (running simultaneously) was excellent and the assistants there were really good at making people understand the stuff the professor failed to make anybody understand (I think they knew what manner of lectures were we exposed to). So, despite the professor, it turned out to be a nice and enlightening course.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I think it's like jury duty. Once you get tagged, they keep targeting you. Better not to register to vote in the first place so they can't get you for selective service or jury duty.
    Not quite. The first two letters I got were on someone else's account, this one I got on my own account.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    Not quite. The first two letters I got were on someone else's account, this one I got on my own account.
    Consider it karmic voter registration then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    The lecturer of the stats course I took was a mumbling old professor and I'm 100% sure 90% of the students attenting the lectures understood no more than 30% of what he said (yeah, I was among them). He certainly wasn't there to teach anybody but to simply cover the stuff as quickly as possible and go back to whatever research he was really interested in.
    It looks like enough people complained to him that he spent part of the class today in a "vent your frustrations about the course" session. It seemed worthwhile, but nothing really was resolved since the professor's idea of how a class should be taught doesn't seem to jive with the students' expectations.