Page 148 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 5064

Thread: The Bitching Thread

Quote Originally Posted by samsonlonghair
    You guys have fancy bikes. I can't imagine paying more than a hundred dollars for a part of a bike. To me a bicycle is supposed to be a cost-cutting instrument: a cheaper mode of transportation. Bicycling is a lot of fun too, but I've never been one to spend much money on fun.

My bicycle is a Frankenstein contraption made of parts from four different yard sale bicycles. I have a flashlight electrical-taped to the handlebars for a headlamp, my back brakes barely work, and my front brakes don't work at all. God, I love my bike.
    For a basic bike that's true. But I primarily use mine to commute. It's what i bought it for, my goal being to pay it off with saved gas. In the meantime it's important that te bike is strong and fast so that it is a legitimate means of commuting. It's not something someone is likely to do if it takes all day. My ride to work is 45 miles round trip and if I'm feeling really strong that day I can do it in 2 hours round trip. At those speeds it's actually faster for me to ride to work than drive during rush hour. I've also commuted at least 6000 miles since I bought it, (8 months of riding, 4 off for a broken leg). So, my car (at best) gets 20 mi/gallon. That's 300 gallons. At $3/gallon that's $900 bucks. 3000 more miles and it's paid for.
    To ride at night I have to bright Nite Rider headlights. One isn't bright enough when I go over 20. I charge them at work when I get in so that I don't use my power and use rechargeable AAA for the rear.
    By all means I LOVE riding my bike. IT's the most fun thing in the world for me. But taking into account that I use it instead of driving does the cost make sense? And 1500 is really cheap for a bike. Also, I broke that bike and got a new much better frame so now I have a $3000 bike =D.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    My bike's shifters are kaput. They are Shimano DXs on a Specialized mountain bike. From what I'm reading, these type of "quick shifters" fail a lot and are impossible to repair. Replacing them might be $100 or more. Currently I'm stuck with maybe 3 gears.

With speeds and declines like you'll find in the Bay Area, maybe you should consider wearing riding leathers when you go biking, Cal_kashi?
    It's true you can't repair them. What you can do is go bike recycling. GO to a college campus, ride around during the day time and look for bikes that are locked up but a bunch of stuff has already been stolen. Like the wheels and the seatpost and saddle etc. Most of them will still have handlebars and shifters. Find your shifters or some that will work. In my mind that's not bike thievery that's reducing land fill.

Leathers would be way to heavy and hot. It's a risk I take riding and it's still worth it. Crashing at 25 messed me up but I'm mostly OK. I've crashed near 40 before and that was hell. I can hit 54 in a 30 right by my house, there are some hills in the east bay where I can regularly hit 60 and once in Orange County I hit 70. That is scary fast, as well as crash and die fast. Never again. You need to find a balance between weight of gear what they provide and temperature. Bike clothes already go a long ways towards protecting your body, assuming you aren't going too fast. When I mountain bike I may get more aggressive. When I go downhilling or it's 3AM and I'm wasted on an illegal trail that drops into Memorial stadium I'll wear armor.

Death BOO Z
    I feel like my legs are made of jellow (I'm going to have nightmares about my legs snapping like those bikes.. spooky).

Don't be scared, I have bad luck with things like this. (See below). You have nothing to fear.

I've broken 10 frames in the last 10 years. none from crashing.
    4 SPecialized FSR XC's 99,01,02,03.
    3 KHS Flite Team frames (all in spring '03)
    Simonetti Aluminum custom sprinters frame. (Down tube broke in the middle on a ride, looks like a can would when you tear it apart in your hands, a crack starting on the top of the tube in the middle, spirals all the way around and gets to the top again an inch from where it started)
    Cannondale six13, the top tube was pulling out of the lug at the seat-tube/top-tube/seat-stay junction.
    And a Steal Schwin MTB, (college commuter)
    All failed w/o crashes encouraging failure.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Thu, 10-29-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man's convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man's brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle. ~Elizabeth West, Hovel in theHills

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Cal_Kashi, stop double posting man.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Thu, 10-29-2009 at 10:45 AM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

And 1500 is really cheap for a bike.
    You're crazy. I've spent maybe forty dollars on my bike. I could buy a decent car for fifteen hundred.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Awesome user with default custom title itadakimasu's Avatar
    cal kashi is off on the university campus parting out peoples bikes !

My sister said they sometimes throw peoples bikes into the trees if they're not locked up.

My current bitching.... If I'm going to have to move around a bunch of people by monday... shouldn't somebody tell me? I shouldn't have a random cubicle dweller telling me these things.++

The problem actually ended up being that after I moved the people, one of them didn't even know they were moving, and 2 of the people weren't ready to move despite my being told to move their computers to other locations... completely rediculous stuff.
    Last edited by itadakimasu; Wed, 11-04-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Australian Left 4 Dead 2 censorship comparison

What is this shit?

I'd better be able to get a US version if I buy this from Steam.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    For instance, we miss out on the zombie riot cop character, because even killing an undead cop constitutes violence against an authority figure.
    Man, what a lucky country you have. I reckon the history of Australia doesn't know a single case of a dirty cop either. Donning a uniform makes you holy.

Sucks about the L4d2 Australia thing. I'd be pissed.

As for my bitching, I went to some random person's apartment Halloween weekend and poured my beer into used cups. Nearly two weeks later and I'm still sick. I wake up choking on my own mucus every night, it sucks hardcore.

Thought it might be swine flu but no fever. Urghhhhhh....

That sounds harsh. I hope you pull through Genma.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Opera Link decided that my newly updated laptop was the master version of Opera for some reason, and deleted all my bookmarks. I had to fight it for about 20 minutes to get my bookmarks back, and now I have a real backup instead of believing in Opera's solution for getting them back (which didn't work at all).

Real cute when a feature designed to assist in keeping your bookmarks freaks out and trashes all of them.

That's what you get for using a browser called "Opera".

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    Opera Link decided that my newly updated laptop was the master version of Opera for some reason, and deleted all my bookmarks. I had to fight it for about 20 minutes to get my bookmarks back, and now I have a real backup instead of believing in Opera's solution for getting them back (which didn't work at all).

Real cute when a feature designed to assist in keeping your bookmarks freaks out and trashes all of them.
    I use an add-on in firefox called Xmarks that syncs the bookmarks on my laptop and PC with a server to keep them consistent. I used to back up my bookmarks.html file somewhere, but I haven't done that for a while.

I going to do that now, lest the server decides to wipe everything and sync my computers to that version, since auto-sync is on. (All 187 of them )

Discussions based on turns.

Arguments based on evidence.

Topical nitpicking instead of personal insults.

Is it too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Is it too much to ask?
    Not on gotwoot irc. We have it all!

Damn, I just took an aptitude test for a company I sent a job application to. I'm applying for a writing job, but they still make everyone take the test, which contained a long math section with questions like:

A certain sum of money is invested at 10%. Twice that amount is invested at 8%. The total amount of interest from both investments is $91. How much is invested at 8%.

I'm sure there are some people who could do that problem relatively quickly. I, however, haven't touched a math problem in 4 years and only answered maybe 2 or 3 out of 30 correctly. I hope I did well enough on the other sections to balance everything out.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Damn, I just took an aptitude test for a company I sent a job application to. I'm applying for a writing job, but they still make everyone take the test, which contained a long math section with questions like:

A certain sum of money is invested at 10%. Twice that amount is invested at 8%. The total amount of interest from both investments is $91. How much is invested at 8%.

I'm sure there are some people who could do that problem relatively quickly. I, however, haven't touched a math problem in 4 years and only answered maybe 2 or 3 out of 30 correctly. I hope I did well enough on the other sections to balance everything out.
    By the limited information, I'm assuming they aren't compounding the interest, so the formula should be simple:
    91 = 1.1*x + 2*1.08*x
    91 = (1.1 + 2.16)x
    $27.91 = x

Since x is amount invested at 10%, that would mean that $55.82 is the amount invested at 8%
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Hah, I knew you'd try to answer that.

But the practice test said the answer was $700 dollars.

Anyway, I'm just annoyed because to do well I would have had to do practice problems like these for at least a few weeks. Hopefully everyone did as badly as I did.

Assertn, what you calculated makes the $91 as the total return (principal + interest), and not just the interest.

A little late, but here it is anyway:

91 = 0.1*x + 0.08*2x
    91 = 0.26x
    x = 91/0.26 = 350

So amount invested at 8% is 2x = 2(350) = 700

Anyway, my bitch for today is my Policy class. I studied for a fucking week for the midterm, which we just got back today and I failed. HARD. I can understand my grade if I studied the night before or the day of but I didn't. Even passing the class at this point doesn't even seem possible and I need this class to graduate because it's a core course. I don't understand why they'd make a 4th year class so impossibly difficult when everyone has fought all the way through the program up to this point. You figure by now they'd give us a little bit of a break by now.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    I got a parking ticket at this ridiculous school because I was supposedly blocking a drive. I don't see how the hell that's possible, I was parked between two vehicles. Also if I was blocking anything, I'd probably be towed. I got the ticket at 3:30 and I wasn't out of class until 8:30, are they trying to say I was blocking people for that long? Bullshit. I bet I can't even get my fucking diploma next month until I pay the 25 bucks. Nazi fucking parking services acting like they own the place.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

My driving law lessons are boring as hell...
    I understood need to explain every sign, how to check oil etc in your car but god dammit - 1h movie which consisted of statements like the (in)famous "people die when they are killed" in F/SN, with showing three fucking times how each lamp is getting lit, etc. Give me 15 minutes and a car and i can explain it all to someone, and i don't have my driving license yet(I'll get that - if i pass at 1st time - somewhere around January) - it is a common knowledge...
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

There are such fools out there driving cars that they must have got their driving license from a cereal box. A person with normal wits would find lessons like that tedious at best but some people really need them.