Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar

Book: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

so movie was pretty damn awesome.

torrent

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Im reading the books rite now (god bless torrens and ebooks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]). I wanna watch the movie in theaters, not some crappy cam rip. But its seems to be getting good reviews. I can't wait till my exams are over.

its not a crappy rip, maven actually makes the best rips out there. Not enough to get the theater experience, but good enough not to spend money to go see it in the theater.

heres some screen shots:

http://www.vcdquality.com/inde...ge=sample&id=57482

Well, I saw the movie in theatre with my friend (I know, shame on me for not downloading it), And it was good, but i didnt think it was "awesome" as darkmetal said. I dono, It seemed like they tried to cram in all this info in such a short time, and some of the stuff seemed like it could have been done better, if the movie was maybe 30mins-1hour longer I think it would have been better. Also, some of the acting I found to be kinda bad, like the oldest guy, He just, I dono, had a bit of an empty stare that I guess was supposed to be pride or thoughtfullness but just made him look like a dimwit(the screenshots show this well). Plus, The movie was full of people that looked like child molesters. Finnally that emo kid really bugged me at first =p.

SPOILERS

a few funny inconsistencies I spotted:
    - a potion that "can heal all wounds" completely heals a lethal sword wound but leaves the small cuts on his face
    - a sword, which is supposed to be very heavy, can be twirled around like it was just a hollow aluminum chopstick.
    - when you say "I come to meet Aslan", you also have to lift your sword up in the air for some obscure reason.
    - emo kid doesnt get a present, but the other 3 do, sucker!
    - if the the winter has lasted 100 years, wouldnt everything be, i dono, DEAD by now.
    - Why the fuck doesnt the stupid witch kill the emo kid(I forget his name) when she has the chance, cuz if he was dead, wouldnt that foil the prophecies, since it says all 4 have to rule. God, if your gonna be a villain, DO IT RIGHT!

END OF SPOILERS

Id give the movie maybe, 3.5/5 It was pretty good, but nothing special. But then again, it was meant for kids, so that would explain its simplicity...

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

I personally thought it was terrible. I read the books and thought Disney blew it; too much 'dramatic' music and I felt like I was getting my hand held thoughout the moive. Should have known. Yeah, your first spoiler...thought the exact same thing. 2/5 (for some 'nice' computer effects).
    Currently watching: One Piece, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Death Note, Suzumiya Haruhi,
    The 12 Kingdoms, and Soukou no Strain (kinda)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#blood-scanlations~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I liked the movie in a different way than the books. The movies are definitely much more dramatic, epic-like, while the books are written to be a well thought Christian-fairytale.

C'mon, you mean to say you people haven't realized Aslan is Christ???

He died for the child's sins and then came back to life!!

And I'm not making this up, this was something the author himself said. So some of the inconsistences Mr. Squiggles mentioned up there can be atributed to that... like, it wasn't a real winter but a moral one, and the witch can't kill the boy as long as he may be useful to ensare the others into sin, and the potion is supposed to heal mortal wounds but still they must retain a mark of their acts blah blah blah.

I dunno, I'm not into deciphering that kind of thing, heh.

Well, religious alegory aside, I liked the movie. I guess it was simplier than most fantasy movies that've been playing recently but I don't really mind that. It was better than most movies that played this year =P
    And Aslan is so cool, in a geeky-goody-two-shoes way, I just love him. And the fox. And the beavers. Fine, so I liked the talking animals.

But why was that boy riding a unicorn?? That's impossible!! Unicorns can't be touched by anyone but pure maidens or they become corrupt. Or something. Mmmh, up 'till now I've never wondered what a corrupt unicorn would be. An evil horse, I guess, which is a pretty funny idea.

無理してここまでやってきて これからもすっと同じだろう
    それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar

Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
    I liked the movie in a different way than the books. The movies are definitely much more dramatic, epic-like, while the books are written to be a well thought Christian-fairytale.

And I'm not making this up, this was something the author himself said. So some of the inconsistences Mr. Squiggles mentioned up there can be atributed to that... like, it wasn't a real winter but a moral one, and the witch can't kill the boy as long as he may be useful to ensare the others into sin, and the potion is supposed to heal mortal wounds but still they must retain a mark of their acts blah blah blah.

You're right. C.S. Lewis is primarily a Christian writer, and what I've read of the Chronicles of Narnia are all Christian allegories.

Haven'ts seen the movie yet, though.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Originally posted by: XanBcoo

You're right. C.S. Lewis is primarily a Christian writer, and what I've read of the Chronicles of Narnia are all Christian allegories.

Haven'ts seen the movie yet, though.
    yea there was a debate on my news about if the movie was Christian related or not. No shit sherlok, C.S. Lewis was a hardcore Christian, so wouldnt he have included some elements? I think they had nothing else to do...

Heheheheheheh

Well, I used to be a BIG Tolkien fan (as in, cosplaying, reading EVERY SINGLE LotR book even published, discussing it every day) and I remember someone in the "club" once tried to say that LotR, too, was a Christian allegory, like Galadriel was Virgin Mary and Frodo was Jesus, but nobody believed him.

Lewis was Tolkien's best buddy, but when he published Narnia they kind of got into a fight because Tolkien hated allegories. But truth to be told, beyond Aslan being Christ and the Witch being Satan or something like that I can't see much more.

I just read that supposedly they're already starting to plan the sequel, Prince Caspian, which is my favorite book for reasons I don't even remember, so I'm happy they're doing it.

それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

this movie might be good from what i heard i reading the series of the book right now lol

the book is really good, and i bet the movie would be good too. I guess It was the most popular out of all the other 7 books by C.S Lewis

Lewis was Tolkien's best buddy, but when he published Narnia they kind of got into a fight because Tolkien hated allegories. But truth to be told, beyond Aslan being Christ and the Witch being Satan or something like that I can't see much more.
    Hmm.. i thougth tolkein disliked the narnia stuff b/c the metaphors were "too obvious."

in any case, i love picturing these two literary giants in room just talking about their writing processes. "that last paragraph you read there sucked like crazy, tolkein, old buddy." etc... hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

and i will go see this movie after i hand in my thesis paper tomororw. woo!

LOL, it'd be as watching two highschool rival teens trying to sound friendly to each other. "Lewis, like, talking animals? He--llooo, that's like SO ten centuries ago! I mean, as a friend, I'm just tellin' you it's like so DUH!"

Anyway, the movie is perfect if you want to have a nice time and it's a good adaptation... well, they've fleshes out the Pensieves (or however that's spelt) which is something I don't mind... in the books the characters all seem to talk with the same accent and style and truth to be told of all the four brothers only Edward (emo without present) and Peter show some degree of personality while the two sisters are either "cute little girl" and "older sister who does nothing".

That's fine for a fairy tale/allegoric book because it fits but it would suck in a movie.

So I liked how they modified the brothers personality and made them more... brother-like, always arguing and worrying about the others and not being able to reach an agreement. For me, in the book Edward sometimes came off as a moron who wanted to sell his family for OOOH magic chocolates/drugs, with the new backstory his situation seems much more plausible.

それでも何かを信じたい 心の奥の声

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

i must have read these books almost a dozen times when i was a kid. I remember not even seeing the religious parallels to my mom pointed them out to me.

I liked the way they portrayed Edward. In the book he was so stupidly selfish that you sometimes wanted to smack yourself.
    The movie was pretty darn good, figured they'd dull it down for younger audiences. Very little blood, way too many stupid lines, the music...

I hated the way they did the Wolves. In the books I remember being scared by the Captain, but (maybe its just that Im older now) onthe screen they seemed a little retarded and way too overdramatized with the voices...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar

Well, I'm just hoping it's better than the movie adaptations that have already been made. The ones where the animals are just people dressed up.

How many of the books are being planned to be made into movies?

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

so I watched it again and skimed through a couple of parts. It wasnt as good as the initial time I saw it, I think I was too excited. Some parts were cheesy, and they needed better characters.

i finally saw it and loved it. the unicorn was defintely a bit too distracting tho. and some of the added scenes were good and others not so good =P

for some odd reason, there was this one scene i was looking forward to that i read in the book AND saw in the other Lion,Witch,Wardrobe movie that didn't show up in this one! the part where the white witch comes across a bunch of animals having a party and all-around good time and when she asks why, one of them was like, "santa was here!" and in a fit of rage she turned them all into stone. i always liked that scene, if only for showcasing the pure evilness of the character. sigh... too bad it didn't show in this one. but i still loved the film. it was a lot of fun.

Originally posted by: Honoko
    i finally saw it and loved it. the unicorn was defintely a bit too distracting tho. and some of the added scenes were good and others not so good =P

for some odd reason, there was this one scene i was looking forward to that i read in the book AND saw in the other Lion,Witch,Wardrobe movie that didn't show up in this one! the part where the white witch comes across a bunch of animals having a party and all-around good time and when she asks why, one of them was like, "santa was here!" and in a fit of rage she turned them all into stone. i always liked that scene, if only for showcasing the pure evilness of the character. sigh... too bad it didn't show in this one. but i still loved the film. it was a lot of fun.
    yea, they took out the scene, but it showed the stoned animals. It was right after they escape from the beaver's house and they come too the clearing and Mr. Beaver sees them and gets sad.

^ yeah, i figured that... but it's just not the same! hehe

the battle scene was amazing though. Par with lord of the rings