Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1539

Thread: Today I learned...

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Look after your drunkies, and they'll look after you.

Two weeks ago I had some girls steal on my at the bottleshop I work at. One of them asked me questions regarding pre-mixed rum in the fridge on one side of the shop. As I turned and helped her, three other girls came in, walked to the other side of the store where the straight spirits were and took off with 2x1L bottles of rum each. A guy I was serving just earlier saw it all happened, and followed them down the streets to this house on his push bike. He then came back and told me the address and what he saw.

Today he dropped by for a purchase and told me that that night they were actually hiding behind some random house because they thought he was some rogue cop with a torch or something. He later followed them silently and told me that they zig zagged their way to the train station shortly afterwards. Sitting down on the opposite platform, he observed that there was an older girl who was directing the group. She sat on the chair on the platform as the other three hid in the shadows while waiting for a train. When the doors opened, the leader blew a whistle to indicate that all was clear, and the entire bunch rushed onboard the train that headed out into the city.

He told me of a similar encounter one time where he witnessed a theft in a liquor store at a different suburb that he used to live in. A week later he saw the same guy at the local train station, chatted him up, got his name and address, went back to the bottle shop and disclosed it all.

Plus the fact that I also had a terminally ill, son-of-a-5th-Dan practitioner promise me he'll kick down the door of whomever I wish (as he's got nothing to lose) when I paid the difference for his purchase, I conclude that it's better to have drunkie friends than drunkie enemies.

True story.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Hah. That dorobou neko group with such an organization, methods, and theatrics sounds like directly from a manga. But I guess it really helps their thieving ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Hah. That dorobou neko group with such an organization, methods, and theatrics sounds like directly from a manga. But I guess it really helps their thieving ways.
    Do add to that, my old store got done in later that week too. This week we had to put up security notices that detail all the security that we have (and don't have, but pretend to have) on our shop front, as well as put up these height stickers to help us estimate the height of the offender as they walk out the door.

Blog Entries
    Were the girls hot? If so, all is forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Plus the fact that I also had a terminally ill, son-of-a-5th-Dan practitioner promise me he'll kick down the door of whomever I wish (as he's got nothing to lose) when I paid the difference for his purchase, I conclude that it's better to have drunkie friends than drunkie enemies.

True story.
    is this the same guy you've posted about some weeks ago, and we told you that he was a loose cannon. And that you should distance yourself from him?

A terminally ill person will do the distancing, in a permanent manner, soon enough himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Death BOO Z View Post
    is this the same guy you've posted about some weeks ago, and we told you that he was a loose cannon. And that you should distance yourself from him?
    Yeah, that's him. I don't work over that side of town anymore though.

I've been reading about the Game Theory and boy, is it ever both interesting and applicable in everyday life at the same time:

http://www.dklevine.com/general/what...brium%20theory

Quote Originally Posted by enkoujin View Post
    I've been reading about the Game Theory and boy, is it ever both interesting and applicable in everyday life at the same time:

http://www.dklevine.com/general/whatis.htm#General equilibrium theory
    That bent my mind a bit, especially when it gets onto the Pride-pride stuff. I guess the hardest part for me is to figure out whether the allocations of their numbers make sense.

hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

^ It means: a fear of long words. Props to whoever came up with it. xD

If you go to http://www.google.com/ and type in "zerg rush," you get to play a mini-game where a bunch of O's come out of nowhere and chomp down on your search results. It measures your APM and how many you've managed to kill. Pretty neat trivia.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku View Post
    If you go to http://www.google.com/ and type in "zerg rush," you get to play a mini-game where a bunch of O's come out of nowhere and chomp down on your search results. It measures your APM and how many you've managed to kill. Pretty neat trivia.

And if you wait a little longer, the come back with a message.

I learned that passwords used to lock Excel spreadsheets and perhaps other microsoft document files are very easily hacked.

I downloaded a file that required a password, so I fed it through my password-cracking software. The key was generated instantly without the usual bruteforcing procedure that would be required for things such as rar files.

It was a long (20-30?) alphabetical key that didn't consist of intelligible words, so the conclusion must be that the file type has a weakness somewhere.

Lesson: If important, lock the file in an archive instead of passwording.

Yesterday I learned how to operate a rotary tiller attachment for a tractor, which I learned to drive a few weeks ago. It was a lot more fun than I bet most people would imagine.

You mean like a full-size farm tractor? What are you learning that for exactly, to take over the family farm?

Today I learned that Russell Crowe played the lead psycho skinhead in the movie Romper Stomper from 1992.

10940169_det.jpg

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Yeah, it's a proper farm tractor. I was helping my cousin with his farming.

I wish I knew my extended family better. My parents kept us isolated from cousins and uncles/aunts and extended family members. Kind of sucks not knowing more family.

I just returned from a visit to my newborn niece... I thought the experience could be life-altering, but really it just affirmed a realization that I don't want kids. I love kids, but there's just so much to worry about and so much of your life you have to give up to care for them, and I don't think I can make that sacrifice.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Sometimes you're better off not knowing them...there's a LOT of drama, gossip, headache, etc. that comes with associating with them.

True, even in the limited contact with and what little info we get about relatives in my family is usually gossipy and in-fighting. Still, it'd be nice to have a built-in friend in the family who isn't too close for comfort (like a brother) but not a complete stranger either. Cousins are perfect for that.

My laptop under normal usage uses less power than my halogen desk lamp (6-8W vs 15W respectively). Power-saving features ftw!

Oh, and that Persia is what we call Iran nowadays.