Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1539

Thread: Today I learned...

Fainting can be a weird experience. You start off by losing your vision slowly, then your hearing becomes "muffled," then you lose your balance and strength in both your arms and legs, and finally, your breathing becomes heavier. As time passes, you regain your vision, but your hearing becomes "amplified" for a while (it returns to normal), and the after effects still remains, like your weakened state.
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

I completely agree with you, Nadouku. I experienced it once, but it was exactly as you say.

Today I'm learning how to play "Seek and Destroy" on guitar.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    That's not at all how fainting went for me. It was more like waking up from a nap.

I was sitting in a chair waiting for a nurse to stick an IV in my arm, but she kept missing the vein. Soon there was blood everywhere, and the next thing I knew I had forgotten where I was and was dreaming of falling through a gray abyss. Then I felt hands underneath me as I jolted awake, and as my vision became clearer I saw several nurses lifting me back onto my chair.

Felt like I had been asleep for hours, but really it was just the 2 and a half seconds it took for me to slump forward out of my chair and fall towards the floor.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Yours seems more like how a traditional KO goes (shock faint)
    -----------------

I've had similar experiences when doctors miss the vein. God, that must be painful.

It's not polite to lose your consciousness before the anesthetic is even applied.

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Yeah, most of my passing out is needle-related too. Generally, I'm ok if I don't watch, but if I see the needle, it's over. Last year, I had to get an IV for the first time, and I knew before they started that it was going to be troublesome. I knew I'd be fine if I just ignored it and didn't think about it. So they put in the IV, and left my by myself in a little room saying they'd be in soon to get me. I could feel that IV in my arm, but there was no way I was going to look down at it to confirm its existence. My inner monologue went something along the lines of...

Don't think about the IV....don't think about it....think about something else....like knitting...what am I going to knit next? Maybe I'll design a hat with- there's an IV in my arm crap CRAP you thought about it, don't think about it....what are these grey spots in front of my eyes? Noooooo, don't think about the IV....something else, think about- my ears are ringing....losing consciousness....maybe I'll be ok if I lie down, I think this chair reclines- crap, don't look down! Don't look at the arm...ok, breathe, think about kittens

...and so on. I managed to flag down a nurse to get the recliney mechanism on my chair figured out. I'm usually fine with blood and injuries, as long as they're not my own.

On a different note, I learned today that a little bit of alcohol has been scientifically proven to aid in learning another language. So, feel free to have a drink or two before watching anime if you want to improve your Japanese. :P

Wow, I really need to drink up to prepare for my JLPT this coming Sunday then!
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Yours seems more like how a traditional KO goes (shock faint)
    I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy like that?

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat
    On a different note, I learned today that a little bit of alcohol has been scientifically proven to aid in learning another language. So, feel free to have a drink or two before watching anime if you want to improve your Japanese. :P
    So that's why I become totally fluent in Spanish when I'm drunk...

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    I guess I'm just an old fashioned guy like that?
    Syncope, and you're a wuss
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

According to the lab tech who did my blood work, men faint more often than women when needles and blood are concerned. I was surprised to hear that. I personally don't have a problem with needles.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Well i do have problems with needles, i would never let anyone use it on me, if i would be watching. But thank God i have ability to concentrate on one spot for 1 minute while forgetting everything else, otherwise i would faint once a month due to my shots to prevent allergy(Once again i don't know proper word -.-).
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula
    you're a wuss
    It takes a real man to admit he fainted at the sight of his own blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    According to the lab tech who did my blood work, men faint more often than women when needles and blood are concerned. I was surprised to hear that. I personally don't have a problem with needles.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The nurses told me the exact same thing after I woke up.

I can look at the needle just fine, but I hate that pricky feeling. Doctors and nurses also tell me not to be tense, since tensing up can cause more pain than usual. Anyways...

I also learn how Mentos and certain soda products can react with each other to create an explosion! That Coke bottle flew pretty high, and I was simply amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    It takes a real man to admit he fainted at the sight of his own blood.
    Yes it does. Yes it does.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I learned that drinking half a bowl of vinegar makes you really REALLY thirsty.

And getting some up your nose makes you choke

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Come on Bill, there are safer ways to lose weight.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Heretic Azazel
    Come on Bill, there are safer ways to lose weight.
    Me lose weight? As much as I'd like to, I don't think it's possible. I just like food too much

As for today, I learned how a knock-out punch works:

http://www.break.com/index/anatomy-o...knock-out.html

I love that show. There was an episode that tried to show how powerful Katana were, so they reconstructed a human body using some material, and had this grand master try and cut through it in one slice.

He couldn't do it so he ended up just going apeshit on it for about 15 seconds. Brilliant.

They also confirmed Muy Thai to have the strongest kicks of all martial arts.

Edit: Marshal is not Martial. Thanks Pyske!
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Fri, 12-05-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Is the katana thing on Break, or National Geographic?

I searched for National Geographic Katana on youtube, but the documentary they did on that didn't have a ballistic swordsman