Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Today I learned that "ebonics" is not just lazy English (a widespread misconception), but really its own dialect of English with its own rules. There is even a book on the subject which details its origins and grammar rules/properties.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Today i learned, no mater what you do, something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by woofcat
    Today i learned, no mater what you do, something is wrong.
    So the sentence that you just wrote is wrong? (the substance of it, not that you have misspelled matter)

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Today I learned that a successful activedirectory install with a sane firewall requires you to open up a significant portrange (of otherwise unused ports) for the rpc locator service. I also learned how to constrain that port range to something sane, and learned enough about how sharepoint stores user and group info that I could manually delete a spurious database record from sql server 2005.

Shortly before that, I learned how to use sql server 2005 to back sharepoint, and how to move the physical location of already-created databases.

In fact, I'd say this week I have learned more about windows server systems than I cared to know before this week... there are a LOT of little details that you wouldn't even think about until they try to bite your nuts off.

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    Today I learned that a successful activedirectory install with a sane firewall requires you to open up a significant portrange (of otherwise unused ports) for the rpc locator service. I also learned how to constrain that port range to something sane, and learned enough about how sharepoint stores user and group info that I could manually delete a spurious database record from sql server 2005.

Shortly before that, I learned how to use sql server 2005 to back sharepoint, and how to move the physical location of already-created databases.

In fact, I'd say this week I have learned more about windows server systems than I cared to know before this week... there are a LOT of little details that you wouldn't even think about until they try to bite your nuts off.
    Would they be the same that are on my Network+ or Security+ Certification Exams i will be taking shortly this year?
    image fail!

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    we're talking more like mcse stuff in this case...

I'm not sure what sort of stuff is on network+ and security+, offhand, but a lot of what I've been dealing with is very activedirectory/win2k3 specific.

I should get some certs when I graduate ... just to shake them at people and say "look at this, pay me more!"

If I could change my name
    to Saberfire... I would
    Quote Originally Posted by complich8
    we're talking more like mcse stuff in this case...

I'm not sure what sort of stuff is on network+ and security+, offhand, but a lot of what I've been dealing with is very activedirectory/win2k3 specific.

I should get some certs when I graduate ... just to shake them at people and say "look at this, pay me more!"
    HA! Indeed thats what I'm doing and I hope to at least get a couple of the Certs I'm doing my courses on that too soon after I get though my net + I'm on to Windows servers, Linux, and Cisco
    image fail!

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    nice thing is, by the time I graduate I'll have right around 3 years of experience as a sysadmin in a mid-sized environment. That, plus three years in the helpdesk trenches adds up to me being in school and making shit for pay for entirely too long.

Today I learned that I don't know enough about Kerberos, yet. And also that if you were born on october 3, 1978, today would be your 10,000th day of life.

I'll be 10,000 days old in Feb of 2008. That's sort of cool, in an arbitrary sort of way.

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Today I learned that "ebonics" is not just lazy English (a widespread misconception), but really its own dialect of English with its own rules. There is even a book on the subject which details its origins and grammar rules/properties.
    Just because it has a book written about it doesn't mean it's an actual dialect. Actually, ebonics is fucking garbage and everyone who applies it to their speech is a moron.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

That place over there........ahh never mind
    Today I learned that a Segate Internal Hard drive needs a stupid SATA adapter to make it actually work.

R.I.P Captain America.

Today, I learned that if you go on a vacation for a few days, some one will come and delete your programs, your pictures and your songs on the computer. Ex: my brother -_-

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    A valuable lesson! That's what separate user accounts in limited user mode are for .

That, and backups. I personally recommend keeping your hard-to-replace data both on the local drive, and on an external usb2 disk. And not keeping the disk in plain sight, where a meddlesome person (like your brother) might decide that it's fair game to dump some data to, and delete everything else on it in the process.

Today I learned that the database project I've got that's due on wednesday is ... well ... pretty easy. Hopefully I'll be finishing it up and starting on the extra credit stuff tomorrow.

I also learned that windows (in an AD domain) will arbitrarily unmap drives that look like user home directories on reboot, even if they're mapped with different domain credentials, unless the drive letter you want it mapped to is defined in their AD user profile entry as a mapped drive. And that ICQ pro is a horrible sheisty program that insists on its users being in the "Power Users" group, because it's lame.

I do have a separate user. He just found my password. Guess, I have to change it and use a 12 letters one with numbers and caps.
    But thankfully, I had my pics on photobucket and my friends will just give me their songs on a USB and I have to redownload the programs again.

Today I learned that apparently windmill's cost less than nuclear plants, even though it takes 1500 windmills to replace 1 nuclear plant and each windmill costs $1.8 million dollars to make.

Dunno. It's awfully hard to find unbiased information about that. Do you have some good reference? I only know wind used to have a higher levelized cost. But with all the technological advances, who knows. If you have a look at how traditional power plants are defended, it looks like the main argument is that "wind is not practical in large scale". That could be partly right: 1500 windmills probably take a lot more room than a nuclear plant, and few people want one as a neighbour, not any more than a nuclear plant.

Well, I got that information from a professor from Harvard that was defending windmills, which doesn't really make much sense.

Today, I learned that the oldest living animal is a tortoise that is over 170 years old....

English ISP due in 10 hours + drinking = not a good idea.

Today I learned how insanely easy it is to get married. I went to the courthouse thinking that it would take hours to do the paperwork for my upcoming wedding. Not so. I only had to sign one piece of paper and pay a nominal fee. It took much less time than renewing my drivers liscense.
    "Samsonlonghair - The Defender of the Oppressed And Shunned!" -Kraco

Today I learned that if October 19 is a Sunday, then October 21 is a Saturday