Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Today I learned what rocky mountain oysters are...

*pukes*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Squiggles
    For your sake I hope you dont actually work at MacDonalds , but hey, I guess it's still a source of income...
    Hey, shut up, it's very tiring work and is a nice thing to have on your future job applications... organizations worldwide know about McDonald's educational services as well as the dedication you need to have to not get kicked out since so many want to work there.

Not to sound like some kind of informational pamphlet, but it's time people stop dissing places like that just because they are jobs "anyone can get".

Besides, I'm 19, and I don't feel like studying at the moment.

And yes, a source of income is always nice when you've been broke for almost half a year.

Nothing wrong with fast food joints. I worked at a Wendy's for 2 years before I got my current job, and I'd probably still be there now if not for a friend of mine, since it was the friend that got me this job.

Any source of income is nice.

Now the only thing that does suck is that after working there I really can't stand their food anymore. It'll kill your apetite for the place in no time.

It's not like it matters for Terra anyways, He'll be an internationally reknowned drummer soon, then he'll have the last laugh.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Today I learned that Terra is only 19. I dunno why, but I thought he was older.

Come to think of it, I misjudge a lot of people's ages on GW. I guess I need to pay more attention to the introduction thread.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Today I learned that Terra is only 19. I dunno why, but I thought he was older.
    ditto, I thought he was in his early/mid twenties, which was why I was kinda surprised when he said he worked at McDonalds. My reality has been shattered, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep. And by "cry myself to sleep", I mean sit in the computer lab writing code because this damn assignment wont write itself *grumble, grumble*
    Last edited by Mr Squiggles; Wed, 04-12-2006 at 04:39 PM.

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Yeah, well, I'll still probably leave the place whenever I find something better.

@Ton: So true, damn, after only 2 days I'm so tired of the Big Mac...

@Xan: Yeah, the introduction thread, or my profile where my age has been written out since I joined back in 2003...

I have 4 possible theories to why people think I'm older than I am:

1. I do not write like a fucking retard (most of the time) which people who are younger than me, even americans, often do. Which is why I might come off as older.

2. I'm an adminstrator.

3. I'm pretty damn sexy.

4. All of the above.

^ You forgot:

5. I am a man eating machine from the planet Omega Delta Phi bent upon the destruction of humankind, and so in order to stay hidden I have a fake age hologram apparatus made by a very clever gnome.

You don't think you can still fool me do you?
    Last edited by Mr Squiggles; Wed, 04-12-2006 at 06:13 PM.

98% of teens uses or has tried MySpace. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature

Today i learned that Terra's Bday is 6 days away from mine. Go 19th!

Today, I learned that Terra is 19 and he finally got a job at McDonalds! Congratulation!
    Also, I learned that my graduation has a 80% chances of getting cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3atfull
    Also, I learned that my graduation has a 80% chances of getting cancelled.
    If that happens, sue them for sexual harassment! That'll teach em.

Quote Originally Posted by xDarkMaster
    Today I learned what rocky mountain oysters are...
    Strange, I'm pretty sure here we call them prairie oysters...
    Last edited by Mr Squiggles; Wed, 04-12-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terracosmo
    1. I do not write like a fucking retard (most of the time) which people who are younger than me, even americans, often do. Which is why I might come off as older.
    Heh ... even people who're quite a bit older than you write like retards .

Speaking of writing, today I learned that despite being a poorly written hack-job (bad structure, no flow at all -- still better than standard fare on the forums), my first philosophy paper this semester swung a B+ on the quality of reasoning and an interesting and creative premise.

I think my time on forums and irc and fansubbing has actually served to make my writing style quite a bit worse. I used to be able to take a crap premise and string it together into an interesting paper just on structure and narrative flow. Now I can't take an interesting premise and string it together into a decent paper.

Further support of the premise "The Internet Makes You Stupid".

@ Mr Squiggles:
    lol. I dont think they will cancel it though. They got in the news for the past few years a lot of time for bad stuff about them. But, they did it once about 3 years ago. But who knows...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Why would they cancel your graduation, anyway? That seems a bit odd...

It is a long story, but to make it short.

There are four classes in my grade. Each three classes has about 25, 27 and 29 students and my class has 33 students (that is a lot). 24 of them are guys and 9 girls. And all of the guys are troublemakers. They hit the floors with their feets, and hit the walls to bother the other classes. They do anything to drive the teachers crazy. That made our physic, chemistry and math teacher to quit. Now, they are even driving our new physic/chemistry/math teacher crazy even though he is already mad. Even the high school new principal is unable to control them. So the only way to make us behave is to threaten to cancel the graduation.

But the thing, they dont care about the graduation. They only care about the prom and the school cant cancel the prom.

Wow, they wouldn't hesitate to cancel prom here in the states, especially over graduation. From what you've stated though, the guys in your class don't sound as if they are ready to graduate. They sound pretty immature... I hope they don't end up screwing you over. I'd be pissed, if the actions of other students caused the rest to lose certain priviledges and such.
    Last edited by IFHTT; Wed, 04-12-2006 at 11:51 PM.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gr3atfull
    ...They hit the floors with their feets, and hit the walls to bother the other classes. They do anything to drive the teachers crazy...they dont care about the graduation. They only care about the prom...
    Sounds a bit like the majority of my graduating class...

Complich8's comment about his writing style made me think. I feel the opposite has happened to me. Being exposed to a lot of interesting topics, spending time writing thought-out posts (for the most part, I hope ), and being exposed to others' writing styles and opinions has made me a better writer in my opinion. I feel I'm able to more clearly express myself in writing and comprehend other arguments better than I could before. I think it's good practice for writing essays and research papers and teh like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terracosmo
    @Xan: Yeah, the introduction thread, or my profile where my age has been written out since I joined back in 2003...
    Bah, I never used to pay a lot of attention to the user profiles. The fusetalk ones were pretty boring.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    From what you've stated though, the guys in your class don't sound as if they are ready to graduate. They sound pretty immature...
    That is what all the teachers told our class. They say that we will be considered morons when we enter CEGEP.

Quote Originally Posted by IFingHateTonTon
    I hope they don't end up screwing you over. I'd be pissed, if the actions of other students caused the rest to lose certain priviledges and such.
    At the beginning, the class didnt really bother me. It was entertainning. But when my science teachers left and got an asshole to replace them. Me and the whole class went down.
    Last edited by gr3atfull; Thu, 04-13-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XanBcoo
    Complich8's comment about his writing style made me think. I feel the opposite has happened to me. Being exposed to a lot of interesting topics, spending time writing thought-out posts (for the most part, I hope ), and being exposed to others' writing styles and opinions has made me a better writer in my opinion. I feel I'm able to more clearly express myself in writing and comprehend other arguments better than I could before. I think it's good practice for writing essays and research papers and teh like.
    There's a certain value to that, to a limited extent. I think it's a question of where you're coming from and what you're exposed to. I used to be a really, really good writer -- good at structuring thoughts, good at turning interesting phrases, good at generating narrative flow.

But then, I used to read a lot more in general, and a lot more stuff with very good writing styles, in consistent, large quantities. I've got a whole room lined with books that influenced my writing style in the past, but that collection of books hasn't really grown lately.

I think a couple years of translating Engrish to English for various fansub groups, and the replacement of books with the internet as my primary source of reading material is the culprit.

Well, that and blogging. All of this informal, short, unresearched and somewhat unstructured writing is definitely taking its toll on my style and form.

It's so easy to just slap down a raw messy thought and leave it -- particularly if the thought stands on its own as a decently interesting insight. It's a lot harder to take the same raw messy thought, turn it over, fight for and against it, and shape it into something complete, and that process is what I've gotten worse at. I can still puke out random flashes of insight that look good to the casual observer, or as an observation in passing, but as literary contributions go, they're not worth the kilobytes of disk they take up in the database.

Wow Terra is only 19. I remember reading somewhere that you're 20-something but I guess my memory is failing me.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    Today I learned that apparently I have black, not dark brown, hair!

So we're sitting in a bar and I'm talking with these two girls (and a gay guy) about, well what else, men. Wer'e talking about real blondes, fake blondes etc etc. And eventually the guy says to me, 'You don't dye your hair black do you?'

And I'm like "No. And my hair is dark brown by the way."

And the three of them are like, "No, it's black."

Back and forth, back and forth we argue. Finally the guy is like "What color is your shirt?" My shirt was black. "Look in that mirror, isn't it the same color as your hair?"

And he was fucking right. Maybe it was the lighting in there, cuz I was sure my hair looks more brownish in the daylight, but my hair looked just as black as my shirt. Goddamn I learned something new about myself!

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".