Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Today I learned...

Quote Originally Posted by woofcat
    today i learned its funny when people rep you with a negitive comment but it is positive. Haha sucker remember to click "disapprove"
    LOL

In my case its the opposite. He thanked me for showning him the link to the "Hottest babe in OP" thread (in my sig) but clicked on the wrong fricking option ( I dissapprove).

These newbies need to learn the rules and shit. I bet its the same guy.

Never the less it was funny. Made my day.

today i learned that some pick neg reped yesterdays post in this thread. What a douche bag.

I learnt how good cheese is.

Today I finally learned why my classmates are calling me Yasser Arafat. -_-

That place over there........ahh never mind
    why are they calling you that?

R.I.P Captain America.

Dont take that from them! dial 1800 - MAFIA

Well, I was reading the biography of Hillary Clinton in class in the beginning of the year. One of the picture there was Ms. and Mr. Clinton with Yasser Arafat and he was like HEY! It's Yasser Arafat!!!!!!!!!! And he was pointing at the picture, but nobody (even me) knew that so they started calling me that name when he said that.

@ God#2:
    I dont mind them calling me that since its kinda a honor to be called that since he defends his country. But they are teasing me... so ill dial 1800-MAFIA
    Last edited by gr3atfull; Wed, 03-29-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Today I learnt myself how to chew on a bottle cap.

Not exactly today, but a while ago I learned that "melee" is pronounced "mi-lay". That was one of the biggest shockers in my life.

isnt it "may-lay"?? o_O

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that in common English, both "mel-lay" and "may-lay" are considered acceptable.

In French (where the word comes from), that would never stand, and "may-lay" would be correct. But hell, 90% of the English language is bastardized versions of other languages ... we can twist french like any other language just fine. Besides, who wants to be like the French, right? =D

^ french word is mêlée. And I want to be like the French.

So it is pronounced "mi-lay", not "may-lay".

That place over there........ahh never mind
    wait so I've been pronouncing super smash brother "may-lay" wrong, it's really mi-lay?

R.I.P Captain America.

Actually, here in Montréal, you pronounce it mi-li...

Upstate, south side, west region, east of the 7-11.
    I used the microsoft speech sam, and he says it "may-lay". I have too this whole time.

Made by IFHTT
    “Faith and reason are like two wings on which the human spirit rises to the contemplation of truth; and God has placed in the human heart a desire to know the truth—in a word, to know himself—so that, by knowing and loving God, men and women may also come to the fullness of truth about themselves.” Pope John Paul II

So you're saying ê sounds the same as é? It's been a while since I've taken French but I'm pretty sure they don't sound the same.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    The way I see it, no matter what we say, if we're speaking ANY modern language we're horribly mutilating some other language for a substantial part of our vocabulary.

I have to admit, I think you're right about the whole circumflex thing ... but there's something to realize: in English, we don't HAVE that. At all. No circumflex. No accent grave. No accent aigu. No trema. Certainly no cedilla, and letters with tildes on top may just get you shot in some parts of the country (not really) .

Did we steal the French word? Yep, surely did, and brutalized it too. Did they steal it from latin and brutalize it in the process? Absolutely! Do I have to worry about it? Absolutely not!

As I said, I'm pretty sure there's two acceptable pronunciations in English. I should say in American English ... I don't know about the English they speak in Canada or Great Britain or anywhere else in the world. But in my part of the country, and in the company of gamers, if you say anything other than "may-lay" ... they'll either be confused or think your odd accent is hilarious

Lasers? Cookies? FTW!
    (universally beloved
    moderator ex-emerita)
    Just to give you the linguistic view....

The minute a word enters common usage in a language, it becomes part of that language's vocabulary. No matter where they got it from, whether created, stolen, or modified from somewhere else, it is officially part of the language as soon as native speakers start using it regularly. Differences in pronunciation merely reflect dialect differences. One is not more correct than another. There can be one that is used by speakers who speak the accepted 'standard' variety of a language, but that doesn't mean that the other is less correct for being non-standard. Of course, people often don't recognize this because of social stigmas attached to speaking non-standard dialects.

So, the bottom line is, pronounce it whichever way you want. As long as there are a significant number of people in addition to yourself that pronounce it that way, you will be pronouncing it correctly according to your dialect.