Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manga: Vagrant Soldier Ares

Manga: Vagrant Soldier Ares

This is the third winner we have, so let's all start reading it...

You can download the series here:

http://www.mangatraders.com/ = Direct Downloads

I'm uploading Volume 7 as we speak... it should be added shortly

There's a new poll to choose the next manga to read, so remember to visit this thread again and cast your vote:

http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...6201&enterthread=y

Ares

I Downloaded the first 6 volumes, but i've only read the first 5 chapters.
    So far, it's pretty good. Little kid mercenaries is not something I would've expected.

For all you awesome people, it's just Phoenix. The numbers are just the amount of times people misspell it.

Ares

Well volume 7 should be up now...

BTW, remember that you have to read from left to right, and the good stuff starts at volume 2 in my opinion

Ares

read the first two volumes, this seems really promising
    all three characters are interesting, 'specially mikael. (I also saw the name as: mikell and micheal...?)
    I wonder what he's going to do with that carnaval guy
    Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

Ares

I don't know why, but for some reason Ares reminds me of Luffy from One Piece... they have the same "dumbness"

And the main problem with these translations is that this group seems incosistant with the naming, a pain in the ass really...

Ares

Not bad some interesting characters with plent of potential

Can't get used to the left to right thing and the translation seems a little inconsistant as Bud said

How much do i suck with photoshop?

was The Next Hokage

Ares

just read 3 volumes and its pretty good will continue it

Ares

I don't know, for some reason the character designs for me look very similar to that of Samurai Chaploo, especially the body structure and the the face... also I find that all the kid's fights look like it's Mugen fighting all over the place...

Ares

Read all 7 volumes released. It gives me the "Golden Age" arc of Berserk feel, but even though its hardly comparable to Berserk, its probably the closest thing out there. I liked the parts with Ariadne the best, really showing how hard it is for people so skilled at killing people to live in some semblance of normalcy with regular people. At least she accepted him in the end.

Ares

I'm not really feeling this one at all.
    The story, and even the action, is kind of dull, but worst of all is the dialogue; this is some of the worst writing I've ever seen, but I guess that may be a translation issue. Regardless I'll stick with it now that I've read all the current releases, so I'll try not to bitch too much.

This manga needs better illustration during fight scenes to make the action more intense. Then ace the 5th grade morality lessons and we'll be on our way to glory.

Ares

Long post, I hope someone actually reads the whole thing.

I am assuming you mean more panels for each of the fights as I make this rebuttal. If they did that like Naruto and Bleach (particularly Naruto) we'd see in great detail what they're doing, but then we'd have like 4 whole chapters devoted to a single part of a fight (granted, there are some like that in Ares, but the one I'm thinking of is rather drawn out normally and quite long by itself). I'll take content over wasted panels and chapters if that was what you meant.

If by better illustrated you mean more detailed so you can actually see the strike instead of a line through the guy to show he's been cut in half, then I still haven't seen anything worth complaining about in the series. Generally speaking, Korean manga's aren't exactly rife with detail in the first place (of the three or four I've read) compared to certain Japanese manga serials. I think it fits the style, especially of Ares, who's blade is too fast to be seen by his oppenents, which is the whole 'wind' thing. [being vague, trying my best not to spoil and still give necessary details] It's no Berserk by any means, but then again, we get chapters of Ares more frequently than 2 weeks to 2 months. If this was what you meant, I see more clearly where you're coming from, but personally I have no complaints.

As for the morality issue, this is a manga about wars, there's a few chapters about Ares dealing with a normal person and what he needs to get done as a soldier that covers some of this, I thought extremely well, but it still doesn't change the fact that this is war. There's no honor in battles like these, it would be trite to say "I am your enemy, let us fight and the victor will let all his enemies go home." War is war, morality doesn't really have too much a place here. Granting mercy to ones foes only means they can come back and try to kill you again.

Ares

Well chapter 52 is out for you guys that don't know it yet (I just found out)... first chapter of volume 8... I'm getting it right now, hope it's good...

Ares

Actually, I meant neither of those when I said that they should be illustrated better. I do agree that the addition of panels would just be a waste of time, and I don't mind the detail since that's just the dude's (what's the korean equivalent of a mangaka?) style of drawing. Rather I think the action that he chooses to show doesn't really convey much emotion or desperation in any of the fights, and I don't think they flow well either. Ares is supposed to be this graceful, acrobatic fighter, and if we're supposed to get that from seeing him jump high every once in a while, I'm not buying it. I'd give an example of what I'm talking about, but it's pretty objective. There are just little tweaks that could be made to make the fight scenes better. But maybe I'm expecting too much since this manwha is centralized around fighting.

And the morality thing has to be taken with the preceding "5th grade", otherwise the context is wrong. I think the issues he tries to deal with are fine, but since the dialogue is so terrible it reads very childish. Like when Ariadne flips out on Ares after the incident in the house, and is like we're not friends anymore, then she comes back afterwards and says, " oh about that, i was just kidding, haha." There are other points in the story just like that where it's like the dude took no time at all to think about what he wanted to say and just wrote this banal poopey in the most obvious way. It's fine if you're concepts aren't the most original, but at least have some clever writing to back it up.

Ares

I see what you mean on the illustration now, and I got a little of that too, but I guess I just don't really think about that when I read. Thanks for clarifying what you meant though.

With the morality issue, I see the other ones that you are referring to, there is a bit of that in the series. But the Ariadne one is childish because it is reflecting how sheltered she is. She hasn't really left her estate, and especially not without a very overprotective bodyguard, so her view on the world is a bit skewed. She came back jokingly, but was pretty torn up about the whole thing because of exactly what her bodyguard (can't remember her name) said. She left him to die after how hard he tried to not only keep her from seeing that side of him and battle, but also with how hard he protected her. The childish reactions of those scenes are really building off Ariadne's naivette. On a few of the other places though, like Mikael's fight against the sword master, I see exactly what you mean though.

Ares

I agree with Ryllharu about Ariadne's naivety. the childish dialouge from her was meant like that. in the newest chapter it says her best quality is adorable ignorance. (or that was just inserted by the translators)

well, my opinion about the newest chapter is divided. on one side; I have a weak spot for 'stories about someone's past', but on the other side; this wasn't too great.
    I'm hoping the next chapter will get at what happened to Ares' master (what's his name again?)
    Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

Ares

Chiron or Kirion usually in the translation, but going with the Greek mythology naming theme, I think it's supposed to be Charon, the boatman of the underworld.

Ares

Thread bump.

I've read up to 54, and there's a lot of good backstory into Ares' past here, his training and tutledge under his master. It seems like the red-eyed swordsman is about to catch up to them though.

We also get to see how Ares said that the fight between Charon (or Chiron, Kirion) and the Red-Eyed Swordsman was "not a fair fight."

Ares

It showed some promise, but the characters remind me too much of Kenshin. I dunno I think I'm a little tired of these super happy-go-lucky protagonists.

Ares

I don't think Ares is all that happy go lucky. He's had it pretty hard, and luckily for him, though cliche, he can't remember any of it. He's got a darker side too (yeah, a little like Kenshin) he got pretty depressed when he thought Ariadne abandoned him and very angry when he met the red-eyed swordsman again.

Anywho...chapter 55 is out.

Ares

Just caught up... 3 interesting chapters...

I would've liked to see the Red-Eyed guy fight Kirion with good eye-sight though... Now, we'll never know who is really the best