Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other good Gundam series/ova/movie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Other good Gundam series/ova/movie

so what other gundam series/ova/movies do you like besides Gundam Seed/Destiny/Wing
    i just finished Seed and Destiny up to 35 and I'm already downloading Wing so i'm interested in any other good gundam anime you guys might like so i can give them a try

Missing Nin

run and hide from G-gundam and SD-Gundam.

However as for a few good ones.
    X Gundam
    Z Gundam
    ZZ Gundam
    V Gundam

to name a few atleast.

I'm not afraid to say I loved G Gundam.

Other Gundam shows I'd recommend are Char's Counterattack, 0083 Stardust Memories and 8th MS Team.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Missing Nin

Originally posted by: Psyke

Other Gundam shows I'd recommend are Char's Counterattack, 0083 Stardust Memories and 8th MS Team.

To be fair I have only seen the dub of G-Gundam but to me atleast it was absolutely horrible. I also didn't care for the 8th MS Team at all it seemed like a short rehash of other series without any real depth.

0083 Stardust Memories was great I would recommend it but its simply a movie and I have yet to see Char's Counterattack.

Originally posted by: DDBen

To be fair I have only seen the dub of G-Gundam but to me atleast it was absolutely horrible. I also didn't care for the 8th MS Team at all it seemed like a short rehash of other series without any real depth.

0083 Stardust Memories was great I would recommend it but its simply a movie and I have yet to see Char's Counterattack.
    I saw the US dubbed G Gundam before and yes it was horrible. The original japanese voices made the show so much better.

As for Stardust memories I think you are refering to the OVA movie. It was actually a series but they compressed the entire series into an OVA movie. Do catch the original series else you will be missing out a lot.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Gundam 0079, only seen the movie version but it was good. X is decent nothing special but it's worth the watch.

Gundam Wing is not a good Gundam series. It sucks.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar

Gundam Wing is not as good as Seed but, watch the movie Endless Waltz. That movie kicked ass.

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

Originally posted by: Deblas
    Gundam Wing is not as good as Seed but, watch the movie Endless Waltz. That movie kicked ass.
    No it didn't. That movie was that blonde fagboys crying all the time until the end when Wing Zero shot it's rifle which was to strong for the suit to handle. Add that 7 year old they were fighting who owned them like bitches and you got yourself the worst shit ever Plot-wise.

The Gundam design is cool tho.

Originally posted by: PSJ
    No it didn't. That movie was that blonde fagboys crying all the time until the end when Wing Zero shot it's rifle which was to strong for the suit to handle. Add that 7 year old they were fighting who owned them like bitches and you got yourself the worst shit ever Plot-wise.

I agree. The only pilot I liked in the show was Zechs. All the others are either too whiny, or have serious psychological problems. The Gundam designs are the strongest points, and on a side note I'd love to see a MG Deathscythe Custom model being released like the Wing Zero Custom.

I've been meaning to watch some of the earlier Gundam series for a while. Does anyone else have any links where they can be downloaded? And subbed not dubbed, please.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain

I agree The only pilot I liked in the show was Zechs. All the others are either too whiny, or have serious psychological problems. The Gundam designs are the strongest points, and on a side note I'd love to see a MG Deathscythe Custom model being released like the Wing Zero Custom.
    While Wing was also my first Gundam series as well, I don't know if I would recommend it to any seasoned anime watcher. For someone inexpirienced or who loves bishounen, dive right in. The show had some interesting characters and explored some themes that most Gundam series don't touch on. But the action could get weak (eery battle is so frigging lopsided except for the duels), the pilots too serious (except for Duo) and so many inconsistencies in MS capabilities. Treize & Zechs & sometimes Duo were the best parts of that show.

I find that Kira from GS and Quatre from Wing have tons of similarities despite their differign sexual orientation. Their whole nice-guy to the point of beign sickening. How they try to persuade others not to kill. Their crying. Their going berserk at some point. And despite all of that, still being natural leaders that people listen to for some reason or another.

I would definetley recommend 8th MS Team to anyone. That show rocks, good animation, damn good cast.

I would obviously recommend the original Mobile Suit Gundam, as well as Zeta to anyone who hasn't seen them.

G Gundam sucks. Much of what I've seen of Turn A Gundam really really sucks. Chars Counter is pretty good. 0080 is pretty hot.

And to go off topic, if you enjoy the military strategy and political intrigue aspect of Gundam, I have to recommend Legends of the Galactic Heroes. Space opera at its best. Starts slow but the characters are fantastic and the writing is from a day when the creators didn't just rely on fan service and intense action to carry you through an episode.

That being said, another good all around show that has lots of piloting aspects and ship-vs-ship combat is Last Exile. That show was sweet.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

I've come to expect more from you PSJ. You let me down with this one. I can't help but wonder what you were smoking when you wrote this.

Wing is alright in its own right while sucking horribly in others. EW improved on many of the flaws. But then agian the flaws it tried to improve on rarely existed in the first place. Just have to acknowledge that Wing is an AU and doesn't follow the same physics that UC does. Anyways. Why do you think the rifle was too strong for Zero. Because it broke apart after firing its weapon. Normally this might apply. But watch the scene. How many Serpents were firing onto the Zero. How much dmg did it sustain when it came crashing down through the atmosphere? The twin buster rifle wasn't too powerful in the anime and its the same damn thing in the OVA. If anything its actually weaker than its anime counterpart. Although they were reinforced blast doors.

The 7 yr old was just an icon of the duke's. She had no real power. And only finally did something in the end when she was shot. Who was the blonde fagboys crying? I'm almost thinking you watched some crappy bootleg where they put in there own scenes. But since you have no sense of plot atleast you get the mecha fan boy points for the series that most gundam fans say the gundams were way overpowered and too stuffed with weapons. These same people complain about a few SEED suits as well so we won't listen to them.

As I said Wing and EW both have their place as decent animes with a okay place in the gundam fandom. Sadly it also brought in a huge crowd of people who knew nothing of gundam and thought everything should be like Wing which they worshipped. And the war of the UCist and Wingers began.. Ahh the memories of playing referee..

Thats probably the one big thing I hate about Wing. Is what it did to the Gundam community when the majority of America learned of gundam.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar

You got me all wrong there PSJ. Hate the characters in Wing. Hate the characters in Endless Waltz. But I just love the Gundam designs in that movie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: fox_t
    i`ll save you the trouble of watching Gundam Wing...

Heero: Relena

Relena: Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrooooooooo!!!

Relena: Heero

Relena: oh Hero.
    It was lower than that. Like this.

Heero:

Relena: Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrooooooooo!!!

Heero:

Relena: Heero

Heero:

Relena: Heero?

Heero:.........................I'm going to kill you...............................

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

haha lol deblas thats sooo true, he really has 1 emotion
    -----------------

Lets see. Top picks.

If you are gonna watch anything UC. Its good to watch the original MSG. Either the trilogy movies or the series. Be forewarned thou its dated. The show was created in the late 70s. But after that is its sequel Z Gundam. Said by many to be the best UC series. Meh it was pretty good. I'm a big fan thou of 8th MS Team where you get to see the MP Ground Type Gundam. And then there is the series 0083. 0083 is prolly my favorite UC. Some people like to go in order some don't. It would be cool prolly to have seen everything in order.

MSG
    8th MS Team
    0083 "personal favorite"
    Z Gundam "decent series"
    ZZ Gundam
    CCA "hated. Had my fill of Amuro by the end of MSG and Char by the middle of Z"
    F91
    V Gundam "decent series"

Of the AU's definately give Gundam X a look. The X Divider suit was sweet. But the biggest AU other than SEED and Destiny was Turn-A. That was the big favorite and it is really good. Sorta meant to be the Gundam that takes place after all other Gundams AU and UC series linked.

yes, just about EVERY Gundam title is worth at least a look. of course, some don't rule much at all.

the Good:
    Zeta Gundam - it's so great that the USA UC fans got to see this. Char/Quatro = teh man.
    0083 - THIS is where Zeta's awesome story starts. with a badass villain and great songs, it's near #1 for me
    G-Gundam - yeah, you read that right. GG is one of the best OVERALL. Oh, it's only Gundam in name? so what?? it's fun, exciting, tragic, & heartwarming. I bawl like a baby at Master Asia in ep 45.
    Seed Destiny - already, I'm saying GSD is one of the best. it has grand mysteries and conflicting characters, elements I love in my Gundam
    Gundam X - best AU overall. it explains the Newtype completely and gives us a carefree feel, which was FRESH from the uber-angst of Wing. it was so fresh that X only got 39 eps -_-

the Bad:
    Gundam ZZ - a spit in the face of Zeta's masterful plot. Neo Zeon = pussies
    F91 - just meh. they should made this a series & added the events of "Crossbone Gundam" to it.
    Gundam Wing - worst AU of them all. I won't lie, it was my first Gundam... but looking back? yeah, just pretty boys and explosions
    0080 - lotta people say it's boring and I'll admit, it's slow. make sure you're not itching for giant robot action. this is enjoyed best if you're passionate about Gundam
    Seed - it just didn't feel as awesome as I thought it'd be. felt like an amalgamized rehash of just about every Gundam before it. HATED some characters + the ending came outta nowhere and wasn't fulfilling
    G-Savior - .....................NO!!!

the I-Dunno:
    Victory - have it all, haven't watched
    Turn A - downloading now, from Hero Legends (www.herolegends.com)
    original Gundam - saw it all dub only and it's....y'know (evil dubs). have the trilogy and love it. either good or bad, I don't care. it's the LEGEND. lol
    Char's Counterattack - I love it because it's the end of Char/Amuro....but it just leaves a weird taste in my mouth sometimes. it begins w/ boom, Char's there. woulda been nice to see Neo Zeon II rise w/ Char. also, the ending was blah.

MSG: totally awesome. im not being an elitist when i say that despite the poor animation quality, theres a whole lotta good shit up in here, plus the dub in my opinion is actually below par for course, so pickles to that

MSZG: totally awesome. this doesnt need much explanation, just watch it and enjoy

Turn-A: TOTALLY FUCKING GREAT! watch this if you like a great story (tomino was heavily involved) and an interesting tie together for all gundam series. toted as the end-all be-all of gundam, required viewing for gundamophiles

0080: once upon a time, gundam didnt need wings on everything and mobile suit battles every 2 minutes. this series kind of brings the gundam thing into perspective and focuses more on the result of the advent of mobile suit combat and how it affects the relationships between normal people. kind of heartwarming with a tearjerk ending

0083:an ok ova, it tries to be alot, but falls short in alot of areas, you dont really get to experience the tension between the protagonist and his rival, its more flash than substance basically. although i must say it has really awesome 80s style animation, really top notch stuff here, id say you younger gen would enjoy this series alot

Gundam X:an ok alternate universe story, ALOT better than wing in my opinion, plus theres a bunch of U.C. references and things big U.C. fans will find "cute", like for example, the inclusion of newtype dolphins lol

Chars Counterattack: this id only reccomend if youre heavy into U.C. and have seen MSG and MSZG, theres alot of references to and characters from those two series, and any casual viewer would be totally lost and uninterested/frustrated with this movie. otherwise, its the ultimate conclusion to the char/amuro rivalry thats been going on between them for 15 years or so

Gundam F91: i dont know about anybody else, but i really enjoyed it. sure it flopped, but i really really like the F-91. at first it was the ugliest design ive ever seen, but it grew on me, and seeing it in action really convinced me that it was the most ultimate gundam ever, thats right wing fans, even more badass than wing zero! and no i will not retract that statement. oh yeah, the other more important reason i liked it, was it was self contained, and short but sweet, and i recommend it highly if youre into things that dont drag on for 50+ episodes

so thats my reccomendation list for gundam series, also as an aside to general mecha fans, id heavily suggest watching Gunbuster, its only 6 eps, but you just get sucked in, you laugh, you cry, you cry again, then you smile. plus hey theres great giant robot on bug action, scantily clad pilot girls, and as an added bonus you can watch this with your girlfriend without her getting too bored (lol like forumers have girlfriends [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ).

0080 is war in a pocket right ?
    Then OMFG king...you freakin' *!@#(@!# it is one of the beste gundam series dude !1!!
    And seed is much better then destiny

I didn't say it sucked...I like it, because I love Gundam and how its events affect its own people. It's just not as loved by some others as it is me.

and please, don't rag on me. I don't see other people verbally beating on others' opinions *sigh*

and no, GSD > Seed

"Look...! The East Is Burning Red!"

..........yeah.

G-Gundam was decent, though obviously someones sad attempt to mix Dragonball Z/Kinniku-man with the Gundam universe. Series to watch from Gundam would have to be, IMO: 0083-Stardust memory, 08th MS Team, Gundam X, Zeta and ZZ, MSG and CCA. Gundam Wing is one to watch If your looking for a Gundam series with a softer tone...Although it had it's moments.