Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Naruto Premiere

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar

Naruto Premiere

I did an essay on the relationship between cartoons and anime for my creative writing class. Got a 96 on it. I get what you're sayin. Damn, that sucks about the Greek One Peice. Anyway...

Here's what I don't think will happen to Naruto on CN
    1. Name changes
    2. Music Changes
    3. Major changes to characters (Haku being a girl)

Here's what probably will happen
    1. Minor edits due to violence/length
    2. Technique name changes (ex: lightning edge, art of the doppleganger *puke*, etc)
    3. A dub that no one will like

Because the series was licensed by ShoPro, that means there's a large chance of it getting dubbed by the Ocean Group. Besides series like Hamtaro and Zoids, their mature anime (Inuyasha, and now Zatch Bell) has pretty much been "unraped". 4Kids has NOT licensed Naruto. 4Kids is responsible for Americanizing anime (like One Peice, Shaman King, Yugioh, etc), and completely changing stuff because they feel their target audience is children. So far, ShoPro has not given any signs that this will happen to Naruto. I feel that they will deliver the show in the most untainted quality they can, save for the changes I mentioned. Now that will suck. The actual quality of the dub, however, is something we're gonna have to deal with. Honestly I can't see any of the Ocean Group voices being anyone on Naruto.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Naruto Premiere

Originally posted by: Psyke
    That sounds so bad if I were there I'd rather not get Naruto at all....... Some how I feel that more countries are regconising that anime isn't just cartoons anymore though. I always correct my friends when they refer to an anime as a cartoon.

"Anime isn't cartoon!"
    Anime = cartoons.

Naruto Premiere

Originally posted by: Y The Alien
    That sounds so bad if I were there I'd rather not get Naruto at all....... Some how I feel that more countries are regconising that anime isn't just cartoons anymore though. I always correct my friends when they refer to an anime as a cartoon.

"Anime isn't cartoon!"
    Anime = cartoons.
    i sooooo agree. an anime is animated and made for tv, movies, video or just entertainment in general. do try to seperate anime from cartoons or manga from comics... it only makes you like a leetist dick. unless you, psyke, can tell me what an anime can do that a cartoon cant, you cant say that an anime isnt a cartoon

RE: Naruto Premiere

Anime to many countries and people now stand as a genre on it's own. Even department stores selling VCDs/DVDs have their own dedicated anime sections which are different from the cartoon section which is obviously full of kiddy stuff like Disney/Warner Bros. To me the Matrix spinoff the "Animatrix" helped a lot of people to realise that anime is not only for kids, and how big the anime franchise is internationally.

Sure there are people who cannot see the difference and anything animated to them is a cartoon or show for kids, but we of course know better.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

dont get me wrong... what im about to say may seem a little heated... but its not:

are saying that a cartoon is kiddy stuff and anime is more mature? tell me then... how do we lable family guy, aqua teens, clerks etc etc? what if some pure american made action cartoon that chalenges norms and isnt geared towards children hits the streets? will we label that as anime? how about somethings that completely geared to children coming out of japan (pokemon)? is that labeled a cartoon dispite its origin? where is the line draw clearly between cartoon and anime? the examlpe youpresent is merley a store trying to make its life easier by insuring that a kid doesnt pick up something that may upset parents. all and all... anime if anything is a sub genre of animated features (ie. the cartoon)

I guess it's a matter of culture. From where I live, there's a very distinct difference in anime and cartoons. Anime to us are perhaps kiddy at times, but more often than not aimed at teenagers at least. Recently more and more adults are getting into anime, but this maybe due to the generation difference...... the people who once watched Astroboy are now parents of children who watch Pokemon. Thus, in the eastern counties, Japan/HK/Taiwan/Singapore, we usually classify the animated shows to 2 major categories cartoons and anime. There are stores which only sell anime, and of course you won't find any disney stuff in there. Anime to asians has a slightly different meaning to perhaps western counties.

What I'm saying is that different people from different cultures have different perspectives, and what I've said is just my perspective from an asian point of view. Dakara, anime wa cartoon ja nai~ : )

"Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

RasenDori is correct.

Anime is not a genre and it is classified as a cartoon.

I guess it's a matter of culture. From where I live, there's a very distinct difference in anime and cartoons. Anime to us are perhaps kiddy at times, but more often than not aimed at teenagers at least. Recently more and more adults are getting into anime, but this maybe due to the generation difference...... the people who once watched Astroboy are now parents of children who watch Pokemon. Thus, in the eastern counties, Japan/HK/Taiwan/Singapore, we usually classify the animated shows to 2 major categories cartoons and anime. There are stores which only sell anime, and of course you won't find any disney stuff in there. Anime to asians has a slightly different meaning to perhaps western counties.

What I'm saying is that different people from different cultures have different perspectives, and what I've said is just my perspective from an asian point of view. Dakara, anime wa cartoon ja nai~ : )
    believe it or not... but thats the american perspective on things too, so its not just a cultural differance. to most people the word "cartoon" comes with the negative conotation of being kiddy when that doesnt cover the entire spectrum.

When classifying something as anime I think it really comes down to the artstyle. Althought that is just a definition of a subgenre within a larger category. In the broadest possible context anything animated is a cartoon. Although most people associtate cartoons with the classic image of tom and jerry or the early loony toons shorts which usualy involve some sort of exagerated violence.

This has developed a negative connotation to the term cartoon since most americans see it as something that only appeals to a certain age group. Most interesting thing I find is that the best way to classify is something is an anime is by it's art style. Alot of American cartoons are starting to become heavily influenced in their artsyle featuring more anime influenced art. Some examples are simple and easy to point out like the teen titans although recently there have been a few genre benders which are really pushing the limits of defining eastern and western styles of animation. On this note I present you with the Avatar. The avatar is is an original cartoon currently airing on Nickolodeon. This show stands in direct contrast to everything else thats been produced by Nickolodeon since it features a complete anime art style as opposed to simply borrowing anime art elements.

http://www.tvtome.com/AvatarTheLastAirbender/

Here's a link if you want read more information about it. As you can see the art is a faux anime and it features much more action then the typical Nickolodeon production. Although at it's core it is very light hearted and feels much more watered down then most other anime despite the fact it is designed to directly compete with them. Take a look at the link. I'm curious to hear your opinions.

interesting... that seems NOTHING like what i would expect from nickeloden

I know, I was pretty surprised when I first saw it to.

I watched a couple eps.
    I like it

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

its pretty kool i like the storyline

I'm official.

So is avatar "anime" or "cartoon"? It reminds me of anime, but it is indeed very lighthearted and clearly aimed at children. - still cool though.

I think Naruto's premeir on CN might be received in much the same way as all the anime showing now. Some people will watch, some people won't. I just hope it comes off as nicely as it did in the subs.

How about this! Anime= Japanese Cartoon and Manga= Japanese comic

Simple isn't it?! =D

Yeah, exactly.

Note that only we use those words to refer to exclusively japanese media. The japanese call all animated media anime and all graphic novels manga.

nightscreamer20

"May 08, 2005

News on the Naruto dub from Anime Insider

It says that Shopro will air Naruto in September, and the first DVD will be released in December. Although the Toonami version will be editted, the DVDs will supposedly be purely uncut. Shopro's reason for putting it on Toonami and not on Adult Swim is to boost the show's popularity.

Things that will be cut out or editted are as follows:

Any blood that flows out of a character (except for when Naruto stabs his hand).
    Zaku's exploding joints in episode 40.
    Sasuke's throat full of needles in episode 16.
    Any cussing.

Things that will not be cut out or editted are as follows:

Naruto stabbing his hand.
    The Sexy no Jutsu.
    Blood that does not flow out.

Also, all of the ninja moves will keep their original Japanese names! (Such as: Kagebunshin no Jutsu, Sexy no Jutsu, etc.) "

- From http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/s...nServlet/showid-18558/

-Thank you and have a nice day.

Originally posted by: nightscreamer20

Also, all of the ninja moves will keep their original Japanese names! (Such as: Kagebunshin no Jutsu, Sexy no Jutsu, etc.) ".
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

No exploding joints? awwww ;_; Oh well, as long as the DVD's are uncut I'll be happy.

Wait, how are they going to handle Gaara making those Rain ninja's explode?