Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Piece American Version

One Piece American Version

Wow I'm really having a hard time understanding One Pieces appeal. It just seems like a really crappy show but all i've seen is the American version and I'm guessing that it's been horribly butchered from it's original japanses release. I'm just curious to hear what your opinions are about the American version and how much it has been changed vs. the japanese original. Also does Luffy have anything else going for him besides being made of rubber?

please go download the japanese version it's a 1000 times better then that crappy american version will ever be, it's probably one of the most butchered animes out there and that's not what it deserves, One Piece belongs on top with the greats like Naruto etc, but the americans had to make a crappy kiddy friendly version which just sucks

american one piece is the worst thing ever since celine dion

RE: One Piece American Version

Generally I think that people exaggerate when talking about butchered shows but when it comes to One Piece it's actually all true. The american version is NOTHING like the japanese one. Go to kaizoku-fansubs.com and get started on it and forget that you ever saw the dub.

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar

Its produced by 4 kids entertainment. Why!? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

IDK. I watched it. The translations are totally wierd compared to the Japanese version. I even know some Japanese from watching all this anime and the fansbus seem more correct. The voice actors are OK for their characters such as Luffy. He kinda sounds like the Japanese version but besides that it was pretty bad.

it sucks ass, the american version that is
    my little brother was browsing through channels last night and we happened to see it

after several minutes of watching, i decided to put on the fansubbed version to compare them side-by-side
    man did they fudge up a lot of the script and also most of the fighting scenes were cut off, how shitty

some of the voice overs were decent, but i really hated luffys, it sounded like crap to me

japanese subbed version is way better

Wow it's interesting to hear all of your opinions about how bad the American Version is. Most of the voice acting really does such. I'm just curious are there any other examples that you'd like to point out about how the American version has butchered various scenes from the japanese version.

Also I'm curious Luffy is supposed to be a pirate right? He never seems to do anything remotley close to pirate activity. He never tries to rob or pillage from other ships. All he seems to do is fight other pirates. I could be wrong but does Luffy ever actually engage in any real piracy?

From where I am in the anime (Ep 10) thats a no. He does fight though..... and thats kinda cool.......

Argh the opening song is retarded.
    Also, some edits that I noticed pretty easily.

1) In episode 2, they changed the riceballs the little girl gave to Zoro into cookies. What is up with that? (Oh and when Zoro eats it after the badguy totally smushed it, one cookie is still intact)
    2) They pronounced Zoro's name, "Zolo". Now, I know that Japanese language has that weird L and R thingy, but Zoro makes more sense when you consider that he is a swordsmaster.
    3) Oh yeah, no blood and the fight scenes were slaughted.
    4) They edited out "Marines" and put in "Navy".

OMG, I hope there are uncut DVDs...

All cigarettes are edited out too. What the fuck are they gonna call Smoker? Captain Non-Smoker?

There gonna call him Captain CottenCandy man. Because all he does all days is eat Cottencandy.

That wouldn't surprise me at all... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Awesome user with default custom title Deblas's Avatar

That's what happens when 4 kids entertainment runs it.

--------------------------------"THE DROPOUT CREW"-------------------------------
    ___________________Captain Dropout For Life__________________

Hey, what do you think there gonna do when Nami stabs herself alot?

Obviously she's just coloring on herself with a magic marker out of frustration.

Did luffy eat a devil fruit or did he get a precreption from his doctor to a special medicine?

At least in isreal, we get japanses inuyasha (with subs) on a daily basis, and while there are some annying mistakes, it's basically uncensored and we don't pay VIZ anything....

oh, and changing the marines into 'navy' is the least of one piece's problems, that actually an acute translation.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Yeah I know, but I got so used to seeing "Marine" on their sails...

Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet

Also I'm curious Luffy is supposed to be a pirate right? He never seems to do anything remotley close to pirate activity. He never tries to rob or pillage from other ships. All he seems to do is fight other pirates. I could be wrong but does Luffy ever actually engage in any real piracy?
    well, have you seen Naruto participate in any ninja activity? has he been forging forigen states documents?
    and what about Ichigo? can you recall when was the last time he was dealing with soul tranferring?
    or Yusuke from YYH, can you name one crime which he solved while being a spirit detective?

the answer is simple, when you sum all the animes down to the core, it's merely a dragon ball Z clone with cooler effects, so why even bother asking?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

They replaced the marines rifles with supersoakers. Enough said.