PDA

View Full Version : Bittornado question

Qix
Tue, 03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone else have the following problem:
When I close a torrent (either by pressing the Finish button or the window's X), the window disappears but the process is still sitting around in the background, eating up my memory. This is particularly bad after I open and close a number of torrents, since I don't reboot frequently...

Also, anyone know what's up with bitttornado.com as of late? It's been down for a while.

kAi
Tue, 03-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Bittornado website isn't down, but if it was, server problems, who knows.

I don't know about your other problem, I haven't gotten that problem so i don't know, when i finish or close a torrent the process goes.

Do you have an older version maybe?

complich8
Wed, 03-23-2005, 12:50 AM
I can think of a few reasons that processes wouldn't terminate cleanly. Just to be sure that it's not any of them, see if you get the same behavior after a reboot. Check your system for spyware and viruses, too. And while you're at it, maybe do a memtest and a hdd checkup (via chkdisk, or disk utilities from your hdd mfr, if they're available).

Of course, it could just be that you got a bad client version. But generally releases are pretty stable.

Qix
Wed, 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm using version 0.3.10 of Bittornado, the latest as far as I can tell, on Win2k. This seems to only happen when I leave a torrent open for a while; starting one up and closing it shortly after doesn't leave the process hanging around. There are no open TCP connections waiting to time out either (checked using TCPView). The process just won't die without me force quitting it, and I wouldn't even have noticed without checking the Task Manager. I'm spyware free btw.

And for some reason, I haven't been able to access the bittornado.com website in weeks. Maybe it's a problem on my ISP's side, but that'd be odd for it to affect only one site.

kAi
Wed, 03-23-2005, 10:00 PM
http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=4615 - I found this topic in the bittornado forums

I'm surprised this link hasn't been stickied. it took me a while to find it through the forums. here it is, it fixes the sticking-to-task-manager problem:

http://bittornado.com/download/special/BitTornado-0.3.10-Py2.3-w32install.exe

This is a special install.

I have verified that the problem previously reported exists with BitTornado-0.3.10-Py2.3-w32install.exe. After uninstalling this Special Version, and reinstalling the "standard version" of 0.3.10, the problem is not evidenced.

Configuration is WinXP Pro, BitTornado 0.3.10, PeerGuardian 2, Norton AntiVirus 2005.

I hope this helps locate the problem - I still get the "leftover rogue" btdownloadgui.exe processes.

it seems other people have had this problem.

Qix
Thu, 03-24-2005, 03:41 AM
Ah, ok. Looks like it's still a problem with bittornado in general. BTW, I'm using T-0.3.10, with Python version: 2.4, wxWindos version: 2.5.3.1. Guess I'll wait for a new version, or switch to Azereus...

And it turns out I can't access their forums, either, without using a proxy. Guess there are router problems on the normal path from my ISP to this guy's websites.