PDA

View Full Version : what programs???

Husse
Sun, 03-20-2005, 06:30 AM
I been thingking about starting to do some serious fansubbing.
What programs should i use?
How do i burn the text to an AVI-file???

Arigato

complich8
Mon, 03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
notepad/wordpad/ms word for your translation/editing needs
substation alpha for timing
substation alpha, textsub, possibly notepad for typesetting
virtualdub, textsub, probably xvid and lame for encoding

But with your current level of understanding ... I think you're sorely underestimating the work that goes into "serious" fansubbing. I've seen maybe 3 one-man fansubbing crews, ever, and they were exceptional people with no lives to speak of.

Husse
Mon, 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
"virtualdub, textsub, probably xvid and lame for encoding"

Do you mean all those programs or just one of them? xvid and lame, are those some kind of programs?

"But with your current level of understanding"

Im a n00b i know, but i was thinking of translating from allready translated english subb to my own languvich.

complich8
Tue, 03-22-2005, 09:40 AM
all of those programs.

Virtualdub is an encoding program. Lame is an audio codec. Xvid is a video codec. Textsub is a subtitle rendering filter that plugs into virtualdub.

Brass2TheMax
Fri, 04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Sorry, sorry, I just HAD to reply to this. The only skills you need whatsoever to make a fansub is knowledge of the language you are subbing it into. Seriously, as soon as you download those programs (of which I have them all), it's a piece of cake. The only thing hard about it is time. If you have the time, it's easy. It doesn't take special skill to make a fansub, any idiot given enough time can make one, easily at that.

I just had to say it. I'm done now.

complich8
Sat, 04-30-2005, 04:02 AM
wow .... digging up threads from the graveyard. welcome to the forums.

It's true. Any idiot can fansub. But that doesn't mean that every idiot should fansub. For that matter, it definitely doesn't mean that every idiot that starts fansubbing will stick with a project through to the end, or even through a whole episode or a whole season.

Sure, basic use is relatively easy (except maybe substation alpha, which is a little clunky). But just slapping hastily translated lines into ssa and dumping them through xvid default with textsub default styles does NOT make a good fansub. There's a reason fansubbers work in teams and groups, and I've only seen maybe 3 people EVER who put together good one-man fansub productions. And even then, they were just on-par with what an average group would produce.