PDA

View Full Version : Meanest Cities in the USA

GLS
Mon, 03-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Saw a report on Netscape, thought I might share with you.

Genteel and polite Little Rock, Arkansas has been branded the meanest city in the United States of America.

That's the word from the National Coalition for the Homeless, a national advocacy group, that has named the top 20 meanest U.S. cities based on how they treat the homeless who live within their city limits, as well as purported civil rights violations, reports The Associated Press. The list was created using data samplings from 179 communities in 48 states.

Little Rock received this dubious distinction due to its efforts to close 27 transient camps for homeless people around the city. Although the plan was tabled after advocates for the homeless objected, the coalition is concerned that the city could still move forward with the plan. This is the third year the report has been issued, and the first time Little Rock made the list at all. Previously, Las Vegas held the No. 1 spot.

1. Little Rock, Arkansas
2. Atlanta, Georgia
3. Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Las Vegas, Nevada
5. Gainesville, Florida
6. New York City, New York
7. Los Angeles, California
8. San Francisco, California
9. Honolulu, Hawaii
10. Austin, Texas
11. Sarasota, Florida
12. Key West, Florida
13. Nashville, Tennessee
14. Berkeley, California
15. Dallas, Texas
16. Fresno, California
17. San Antonio, Texas
18. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19. St. Paul, Minnesota
20. Manchester, New Hampshire

The top four meanest states:
1. California
2. Florida
3. Hawaii
4. Texas

Assertn
Mon, 03-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by: gaaralovessand
1. California

that would explain mut

kAi
Tue, 03-08-2005, 12:51 AM
beat up the homeless, haha.

mut you badass

Xollence
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Wow can't believe Camden New Jersey isn't on that list.

Mut
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Don't fuck with Cali, thanks.

yallo
Tue, 03-08-2005, 03:08 AM
wow San Fran, a mean city?
*shocked*
never!

Souryusen
Tue, 03-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@
Don't fuck with Cali, thanks.

Yeah... you hard. Go watch Friends.

KitKat
Tue, 03-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't think rating a city based on how they treat the homeless is a very good measure of how mean a city is. Obviously, the more homeless people inhabit a city, the more annoyed inhabitants of that city will become. And since homeless people are much more likely to live in cities with warm climates, then these cities will have a lot more homeless people. So, I don't think that these findings are very accurate. They merely reflect the fact that people living in cities in, say, Vermont don't need to do much about homeless people because the winter is a deadlier enemy than any city by-laws to the homeless. However, in Florida or California, there are no environmental factors to discourage homelessness, making it a very visible issue that local governing organizations have to deal with.

Assertn
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:02 PM
But if my city only had 1 homeless person, and we picked on him all the time...would we have a 100% mean rating?

Y
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Extremely narrow criterion make this list pretty much useless.

Aeon
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list, but then again I always give away my candy money to them.

Souryusen
Tue, 03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by: Aeon
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list, but then again I always give away my candy money to them.

I love some of the stories some of the more creative ones come up with. Especially in places like 30th street and The Gallery. Had one fella try to convince me he was a boxing champion who'd lost his wallet down the toilet.

I love Philly.

Knives122
Tue, 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
well I guess that explains why I'm sometimes mean in real life(ask gaara i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif ) , but it looks like Im from the meanest state, and from the 8th meanest city

Barumonk
Tue, 03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by: Souryusen

Originally posted by: Aeon

I love some of the stories some of the more creative ones come up with. Especially in places like 30th street and The Gallery. Had one fella try to convince me he was a boxing champion who'd lost his wallet down the toilet.

I love Philly.

http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload2/ninjaskilledmyfamily.jpg

JusDaMan
Tue, 03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
yup... cali gotta make it to list...

with the whole fitty vs game going on... and the still ongoing war between bloods and crips... ofcorse Lol..

what surprised me is... FLorida and Hawaii??? both those are tourist hot spots... How in the hell are they mean? but ofcorse i dont live there so i wouldnt know how a average floridoran and hawaiian lives...

Xollence
Tue, 03-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by: JusDaMan
yup... cali gotta make it to list...

with the whole fitty vs game going on... and the still ongoing war between bloods and crips... ofcorse Lol..

what surprised me is... FLorida and Hawaii??? both those are tourist hot spots... How in the hell are they mean? but ofcorse i dont live there so i wouldnt know how a average floridoran and hawaiian lives...

I think they mean the meanest towards homeless people.

Elite Hentai
Wed, 03-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by: Barumonk
http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload2/ninjaskilledmyfamily.jpg

OMG this is one of the funniest pics I've seen in a while. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Assertn
Wed, 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM
i got to see the new Game music video yesterday.....and its not publicly released yet i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Khaotix
Sat, 03-12-2005, 03:04 PM
I know the police in my city take homeless people to the the city borders. I've only seen one homeless person in Irvine, ten minutes later she got picked up by the police.

samsonlonghair
Sat, 03-12-2005, 07:22 PM
That "Ninjas killed my family" picture was hilarious.
Anyway, I find this hard to believe:

12. Key West, Florida I lived in Miami and spent a good many weekends in Key West. If they have any anti-homeless laws, they don't enforce them. Key West is one of the most laid-back places on earth. If you could honestly believe that Key West could be a mean town then look up something called "The second American Civil War."

Edit: No, I don't mean that Dennis Prager thing.
I found the story I meant here. (http://travel.lycos.com/Destinations/location.asp?pid=243928)