PDA

View Full Version : Guild wars.

Aclypze
Thu, 03-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I'm wondering if anyone is gonna get this game. It's suppose to be a mmorpg with no monthly fees. It seems like fun and my friend has played the beta. The graphics don't look to bad either. I already thought of a guild name when I get this game. Microwaveable Ninjas.

KaneInferno
Thu, 03-03-2005, 09:38 PM
WoW is 50 million times better. Yes you have to pay monthly fees, but for guild wars, all updates come in 20-30 USD expansion packs. Youll end up paying even more money.

Barumonk
Thu, 03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
You only need to buy content updates, but bug fixes, balance changes and etc.. are free. With the way the game looks now I wouldn't mind just buying the original retail version and playing that for free for a few months before moving onto the next expansion. They intend to release an expansion about once every 6 months, by your price (20-30USD) its basically 40-60USD + retail box cost (total ~90-110USD, assuming 50USD retail) for the first year. This is against average $15USD/mo + retail box cost + various expansion set costs (and possible additional monthly fee to play the expansions, but we wont include that here). Thats 165USD a year + retail box cost (total ~215USD, assuming 50USD retail) for the first year, including the free month.

WoW and Guild Wars are two different types of games. WoW relies on making tons of the same quests with slight changes (kill 10 of these, walk to the next area and guess what? kill 10 of that), while Guild Wars relies on relativly uninteresting quest and story elements, but putting you in missions/levels where you have to strategize and work with your team to win during combat that has a much faster pace than WoW. Usually if you attempt to solo and try to act godly you just end up getting your entire team killed, and half of the time they kick you out of the party and find someone who isn't so full of themselves. ^^

Edit: Screwed up my calculations, I did the monthly fee calculations without any expansions, while Guild Wars' calculations were with two expansions. With the two additional expansions, it would be an additional 40-100USD added onto the approximate total, assuming each expansion's retail value is between 20-50USD (255-315USD for the first year, once again this includes the free month but doesnt take into account any additional fees to actually play the expansions as well).

Aeon
Thu, 03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Usually if you attempt to solo and try to act godly you just end up getting your entire team killed, and half of the time they kick you out of the party and find someone who isn't so full of themselves. ^^

Darn, I'd suck in this game. I'm too cocky to work on a team plus I'd want all the big kills for myself.

Sensei Jon
Fri, 03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Already got it.

Raven
Sat, 03-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Play WoW. It's better. 'Nuff said.

Don't try to mention money, WoW's worth it.

Mr.X
Sat, 03-05-2005, 02:26 AM
im afriad if i buy WoW, i'd fail school.

Sensei Jon
Sat, 03-05-2005, 08:07 AM
I would Cmdr, but I don't want to pay another monthly fee on another game. I already have 2 games with monthly fees, well one game two accounts.

basey44
Sat, 03-05-2005, 09:53 AM
the way i justify paying a monthly fee of $20 a month is id prolly spend more going out on one night, so i figure if i go out one night less a month then i can afford wow, it makes perfect sense i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Barumonk
Sat, 03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
Play WoW. It's better. 'Nuff said.

Don't try to mention money, WoW's worth it.

That doesn't really apply for everyone, I got sick of WoW almost immediately. The quests are very boring, repedative, and look like no effort was put into them at all. You can get the same results by making a basic quest template (ie: Kill [X] of [Y] monster and collect [Z] items from them, then come back to see me for [W] reward!) and then fill in the blanks. Then there are only 12 or so total templates for the entire game, which means that you basically complete the same quests with slightly different objectives about 1.5 times per level (on average). When people compliment the quest system for being so great I wonder if they are really concious? The only great part about the game are the possibility of raids, battlegrounds, and high level dungeons, but thats only after you grind through all the crappy quests to reach level 60. WoW has some great ideas, but its too focused on PvP without having a complete PvP system, and no heart was put into the quest system. Those are one of the two main lures of WoW, but this is just how I look at it, i'm sure there is some good in it somewhere since people actually do like the game.

jing
Sat, 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
By the way if WoW is not meant for people who play on the weekends. Thus, you will fail school Mr.X. You are from Canada afterall.

Y
Sat, 03-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Guild Wars is an online RPG. World of Warcraft is an MMO RPG.

There is an enormous difference.

Frankly, both GW and WoW are just very, very shiny and nice wrappers on some very tried-and-true gameplay concepts. The WoW hype backlash ought to be hitting this summer as people realize it didn't actually do anything different; god willing, GW can escape the reign of MMO faggots that usually kills great online RPGs, since it isn't being hyped nearly as much and seems willing to ignore genre conventions by not trying to establish itself as a second life.

However, try GW and/or WoW out. You can't trust anyone (yes, even me) about games since opinions vary so wildly.

Also, here's my screenshots (http://ythealien.homestead.com/files/gw.html) from the beta.

EDIT:

For all the geniuses comparing GW's cost to WoW: GW doesn't require buying expansions, they're optional. Paying for WoW monthly isn't an option.

Barumonk
Wed, 03-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Tom Miller's Blog - World of Warcraft Rant (http://blogs.msdn.com/tmiller/archive/2005/02/28/381913.aspx#FeedBack) >.>

Tohan
Fri, 03-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by: Mr.X
im afriad if i buy WoW, i'd fail school.

I did.

Y
Fri, 03-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Beta's up now.

Sensei Jon
Sat, 03-19-2005, 06:48 AM
They changed a lot it seems. But that Exp/Level bar damn near right in the middle of the screen is pissing me off.

Krbadass
Sat, 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
bump - whos all playin it?

Souryusen
Sat, 05-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I am. Just started this week.

Currently playing a level 10 N/W and I just started a R/E.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM
El/Mo 14 here named Gendo Ikari.

Mut
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I'll get this game and play with you guys ONLY if you guys get together and start playing as a group.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:09 PM
You should get together with LLJK, Mut.

Mut
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:18 PM
nO!

I want to play with the GotWoot crew i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Souryusen
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I've got two character slots left. I wouldn't mind using one for a GW team character.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 08:56 PM
You can't make multi-guild accounts unfortunately, so we won't be having a GW guild. But I'll play anytime with a GW member who sends me a message.

Souryusen
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm not in a guild as of yet.

If enough wooters join up I might consider starting/joining a GW guild. If not then there's no problem with 3 or 4 of us joining up to run quests and missions together either. Could be fun if the party's right.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I know KRB and myself are already in guilds. KRB might be in a guild with other gotwoot members.

Deblas
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm already in a guild too. Called "Pandoras Phantoms". I'm still new to WoW. I'm a level 19 night elf hunter and I'm In Maestras point now.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Uh, this isn't a WoW thread. Are you drunk?

Board of Command
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
I'm already in a guild too. Called "Pandoras Phantoms". I'm still new to WoW. I'm a level 19 night elf hunter and I'm In Maestras point now.
By Guild Wars they mean the game "Guild Wars", not guild wars in WoW...

Deblas
Sat, 05-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command

By Guild Wars they mean the game "Guild Wars", not guild wars in WoW...

I know. I just thought I share my guild of Wow. Gotta go. Tito vs. Wright fight!!!!

Souryusen
Sat, 05-14-2005, 10:18 PM
I know. I just thought I share my guild of Wow. Gotta go. Tito vs. Wright fight!!!!

Increase your post count in another thread, you gibbering waste of protein.

Mut
Sat, 05-14-2005, 11:12 PM
So far, Krb, Y, and Souryusen are the only ones who are playing GW. Is anyone else playing this? If we get enough people, we should start a guild and fuck shit up. I also heard Y is joining our guild if it happens.

Y
Sat, 05-14-2005, 11:40 PM
I heard NOT.

Join LLJK Mut, we have tons and tons of active people.

LaZie
Mon, 05-16-2005, 01:11 AM
E/Me Lvl 20-Lazie Itachi (I couldnt think of any names)

Sensei Jon
Wed, 05-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I am playing GW as well. Didn't notice the new Gaming Section.

19 N/W Jado of the Rose is my main.

Itachi_y2k5
Wed, 05-18-2005, 09:45 AM
I guess it is a good game to buy ?

Sensei Jon
Wed, 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I am loving the game. I would reccomend buying it.

Aclypze
Thu, 05-19-2005, 08:07 AM
for PvE i have Unkown Healer Mo/R (healing monk)
for PvP i have Lvl Ioo Zapdos Mo/E (protection monk)

lets play sometime.

Board of Command
Fri, 05-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I just got it today. I'm an elementalist, Walter E Kurtz. Currently lvl 3

Souryusen
Mon, 05-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Sort of a continuation from the "Playing Now" thread..

I'm Walter E Kurtz (you know, the colonel?)

lvl 15 Elementalist/Mesmer

What branch of Element/Mesmer magic are you using? I have a Ele/Mes around level 14 currently using Fire/Inspiration. I'm looking to switch from fire to water but there isn't much in the way of water magic early on.

Board of Command
Mon, 05-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm also Fire/Inspiration. I'm making a melee nuker, possibly suicidal at times.

Souryusen
Mon, 05-30-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm also Fire/Inspiration. I'm making a melee nuker, possibly suicidal at times.

Channeling + Point Blank Area of Effect spells, I take it?

basey44
Tue, 05-31-2005, 03:45 AM
lvl 7 ranger/elementalist silent booze

hey soury u said u made a r/e yea? how do they end up panning out

Souryusen
Tue, 05-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by: basey_69
lvl 7 ranger/elementalist silent booze

hey soury u said u made a r/e yea? how do they end up panning out

Most R/E don't actively nuke with magic but use conjuration spells (Conjure Fire, Lightning, Frost) along with a bowstring of the same element. In the end it winds up being an extra 13 damage a shot + whatever other buffs the ranger is using.

Ranger is a pretty diverse class in and of itself so most of the R/E I've seen don't use many skills from their /E class, mainly the conjurations.

Board of Command
Tue, 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by: Souryusen

You must be psychic.

Souryusen
Tue, 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM

You must be psychic.

Arcane Echo + Inferno/Phoenix (depending on preference) will be your friend.

ChaosK
Tue, 05-31-2005, 05:42 PM
this might sound out of place but, what kind of game is it? (i know its a CORPG)

EDIT: my bad, i just read FAQ Y.

Y
Tue, 05-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
this might sound out of place but, what kind of game is it? (i know its a MMORPG)

It's not an MMORPG.

Board of Command
Thu, 06-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Ok I just got to the desert and a Pyromancer build is impossible there. I'm switching to Aeromancer. If any of you have a nice lightning wand/staff you're willing to sell or trade, I'll take it. I got a very nice fire staff for trade.

Shuurai
Thu, 06-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Lv 8 Wa/mo

Board of Command
Thu, 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Eww, another generic W/Mo. Make something more interesting, especially as your first character.

Y
Sat, 06-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Ugh.

Fire magic just doesn't cut it in the Crystal Desert.

I'm thinking of switching both magic disciplines and my secondary.

Board of Command
Sun, 06-05-2005, 01:59 AM
I just started a new character, aiming for a Mo/W smiter. Elementalists seem to get weaker and weaker as the game goes on.

Souryusen
Sun, 06-05-2005, 06:47 AM
I just started a new character, aiming for a Mo/W smiter. Elementalists seem to get weaker and weaker as the game goes on.

You're not finding/using the right skills then. Elementalists are called a nuker class for a reason.

Kezren
Sun, 06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Ne/Me lvl 12. Lazy lvler. Focuses. Blood magic, Domination Magic, Curses. Everyone hates me XD

Board of Command
Sun, 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM

You're not finding/using the right skills then. Elementalists are called a nuker class for a reason.
I have all the nuking skills: inferno, flame burst, phoenix, meteor shower, arcane echo, fire attunement, aura, and on and on. I even have a 20 recharge wand and 12/20/20 focus.

Yes, nuking works, but only to a certain extent. It's pretty good up until Crystal Desert. The monsters there (except scarabs) all have incredible fire defense. Once you get to the missions, the enchanted guys take literally no damage from fire. And to nuke, you gotta get up close and personal. Later in the game, those monsters will beat the shit out of you regardless of aura or not. Now I'm at Droknar and I've yet to check out the monsters outside. It should be a bit better than desert since it's in the Shiverpeaks.

Or maybe it's just the fire nuker build that's limited. I've heard earth-nuking is also pretty powerful since it gives you defensive spells as well.

Souryusen
Sun, 06-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Jesus.. how the hell did you pull ahead of me? I only just now got through the Wilds mission. I haven't even entered the Fisherman's place yet to get Fire Attunement.

A lot of people seem to switch to Air magic once they get to the desert, because of the armor penetration. Earth is supposedly real good.. especially obsidian flame and crystal wave.

Y
Sun, 06-05-2005, 07:54 PM
You have an awful fire build BOC, but even the good one pales against the desert badasses.

Board of Command
Sun, 06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Jesus.. how the hell did you pull ahead of me? I only just now got through the Wilds mission. I haven't even entered the Fisherman's place yet to get Fire Attunement.

A lot of people seem to switch to Air magic once they get to the desert, because of the armor penetration. Earth is supposedly real good.. especially obsidian flame and crystal wave.
Ya I switached to air in the desert to test it out. Definitely more worthwhile than casting 50 dmg infernos. You're still in the pre-ascension areas so nuking still works beautifully. Once you reach the desert you'll see what I'm talking about.

And Y, that's not my build, they're just the popular skills I have. I've switched things around a lot and nothing works in the desert other than air.

Y
Sun, 06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
And fire, and water... etc.

I can walk through the desert with only henchman using fire magic. My pubbie team beat Thirsty in 1 try. It's just harder with fire.

Air is good for single targets. Water is good for interrupts (and some defense with stuff like Mistform). Earth has great defense and status effects.

Board of Command
Sun, 06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: Y
I can walk through the desert with only henchman using fire magic. My pubbie team beat Thirsty in 1 try. It's just harder with fire.
No way, I have trouble believing that you can beat those sand worms and hydras with fire.

Y
Sun, 06-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I would have trouble believing it too if I was still using garbage like Meteor Shower.

Krbadass
Mon, 06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok so this is the deal, im setting up an irc channel #Gwguildwars if you wanna play with someone, then go to that channel, and we can quest and possibly make a guild. Ill register the channel. gogogo
bump

Krbadass
Mon, 06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
bump

Y
Mon, 06-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I won't be in a Gotwoot guild since I'm well established in the prime SA guild.