PDA

View Full Version : For the Canadians out there...

Arcn3ss
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Now, you guys who are canadian and are using Rogers.ca as an ISP may need to take notice with this tid bit of news.

After a detailed search on google, i found out that on feb 15th Rogers created a bandwidth limitation. This means that you cannot upload/download passed 60gbs. Doesnt matter if you are transfering something to another computer via MSN, downloading off mirc or bt or anything else, it will count towards your limit. As some of you may remember, Bell pulled a stunt like this before, which prompted many users to switch ISPs to Rogers in the first place.

Basicly the meaning behind this isnt to stop illegal downloading, its just to make sure rogers gets more money. Rogers doesnt care if you are downloading off a p2p, since its just looking at the AMOUNT your downloading/uploading. It doesnt matter if you paid for a online game, or anything else in the legal realm. The more bandwidth you use the more they are not getting a profit, so you see why they did this.

What annoys me more then the bandwidth limit is that you arent even told they did this. No one calls you, nor sends you an email, nor does it even appear on your bill.( and you have to go searching on their site pretty well to find this) Its very underhanded that they do this, because they fear ppl will jump ship and go to bell or some other ISP. Although when the next bill comes along, ppl will know.

Iam not a big fan of bell dsl, but at least they let you pay for the gbs you went over. Rogers gives you 3 chances, and by the third they are cutting you off from the internet service for a year. I wonder is how university students who have alot of roommates with computers, wanting to download or do something online are going to deal with this. Say if everyone downloads/uploads 10 gbs worth and there is 7 of you. Thats 10 gbs more then you are allowed. 60gb isnt alot at all, especially went divided by 6 or 7 in a span of a month.

http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shoprogersfaq.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=b_uCB-yh&p_lva=3780&p_li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=34&p_prod _lvl2=68&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_ty pe=6&p_sort_by=dflt

As for me, I am still not sure what Iam going to do. I may just limit my downloading, or move to a new ISP. I have the most expenive package from rogers (home versions) so i would want an unlimited download from the amount that we pay. Since, they are going down the limit route i may change my package to a lower one, since its not gonna be worth paying that much.

For those who didnt know about this.....

Surprise!...

anime050
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Shaw = <3

Lefty
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Thats a bullshit move. They lose so much buisness when every one moves to another ISP or gets kicked for a year. If a US based ISP did somthing like that they'ed be out of buisness with in two years. Thats just fucked man, hope you find a solution.

KitKat
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
That is unbelievably crappy. I've been in a student house with a download limit before, but that was before I discovered anime, so I didn't really download anything and didn't care. Even though I download a lot more now, I don't come close to downloading the sheer volume of anime that you do Haku. I hope you manage to figure out something.
*KitKat makes mental note never to subscribe to Rogers*

Arcn3ss
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Ya its gay..

I've aready made my list of anime iam still downloading. I cut like serveral series out of my downloads, gotta look for more. Lucky I dont play online gaming so i got more bw to use.

Assassin
Fri, 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
man, damn those bastards! aren't they making enuff money with fuckign everythign else?

i hate dsl, and i really dont wanna switch....but if this becmoes a makor problem, i mite have to :<

kooshi
Fri, 02-25-2005, 02:36 PM
60 GB???? Damn, back at my home, my brother is limited to 20 GB. We had the problems with Shaw like 6 months ago, haha, but it doesn't seem like they would cut off the service since he's gone over the limit like 5 times now.

joker-kun
Fri, 02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Heh, finally something that wiull stop my brother in law from constant downloading...it is crappy though.

Board of Command
Fri, 02-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I use Golden. It's unlimited and cheaper.

Arcn3ss
Fri, 02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
I use Golden. It's unlimited and cheaper.

Whats your aveg Speed?

Board of Command
Fri, 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Bittorrent went as high as 310 kb/s on Naruto, Flashget is usually around 250 kb/s. For gaming I get no lag unless it's the server's fault.

It's a 3 Mbit service. I used Sympatico for half a year and they're the same. Only crappy thing is that I don't have a router so everytime I boot up my computer I gotta wait an extra minute for the DSL modem to get the address thing because it's PPPoE

intense
Fri, 02-25-2005, 05:24 PM
its 60gb a month.....
the 60gb does NOT span over 6-7 months.
so unless you're a big time downloader, then you're fine i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

jing
Fri, 02-25-2005, 07:32 PM
WTF? i always thought the limit was 30gb. anyways i know some friends who got cut off by rogers even though they only downloaded for 2 gigs. i think it really depends on who your area manager is. but thats an interesting info cuz now if they call to cut me off, ill tell them '' i didn't reach 60gigs, don't take me for a fool"

Kairi
Fri, 02-25-2005, 09:30 PM
This all seems like such a scam to me. Does it honestly *cost* these companies more the more people download?? I think they're just a big group of control freaks. Arg. It's bad enough that one of the people I live with insists on putting up a firewall on our network so that we can't even share stuff with other people in the house. Anybody know how Cogeco compares to Rogers? And what's Golden? How do you get it?

hopeknight
Fri, 02-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Um, oops, sorry.

I can't help but feel partially responsible for this... I used to be on Shaw (about half a year ago) and was going through mass anime downloads (entire series at a time off of Boxtorrents). I used over 200 gigs of bandwidth in two weeks (counting ul/dl speeds). They complained but never cut me off. I've since switched to Telus.

Now mind you, this amount of downloading is not normal for me. I normally sit around 20 gigs a month or less, but the computer was new, and there was just so much anime I hadn't seen at that point.

EDIT: oops, Rogers is limiting? I saw Anime050's post and thought it was Shaw for some crazy reason (probably lack of sleep). Anyway, if Shaw starts limiting, then blame me for the ridiculous bittorrenting I did back then.

Board of Command
Fri, 02-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Golden is www.golden.net (http://www.golden.net)

$35 a month, you supply your own modem. Very stable connections and only time you get disconnected is during server maintenance, which happens about 4 times a year.

Xollence
Fri, 02-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Optimum Online has no limit for downloads but as long as you don't go crazy with the uploads they dont really care either. I think the upload limit is 30 gigs for OOL, because thats when they cut me off.

Assassin
Fri, 02-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Anybody know how Cogeco compares to Rogers?

cogeco is considerably faster imo...but it has like a 15 gb ul/dl limit. i had it while living at uni, so even though we went over teh limit alot, it only came to like and extra few dollars per person. however, if u gonna have a line to urself, or like family or something, i'd stick with rogers.