PDA

View Full Version : Since the Anime is catching up to the Manga

Prof. Chaos
Tue, 02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
So ya, basically I am borrowing the thread from the Anime discussion asking the question of what will happen with the Anime now that it is catching up quickly with the manga. We were given the 2.5-3 year jump in time, that gives plenty of time for the anime to show the Kakashi flashback as well as Naruto training under Jiraiya. We know about the time jump so we can discuss this in better detail and more speculation than those in the Anime discussion section.

Lefty
Wed, 02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
This has been discussed before. in the past they have used filler before guess were? For the futur of the series id say filler is going to a be a must. But they have a lot of meat to tear from the bone.

Captain Grammar
Wed, 02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
On Naruto's way to confronting and battling Sasuke, Kakashi will appear and inform him that Sakura has gone off to the Hidden Mist, where she was captured by Zabuza's son. Naruto will convince Sasuke to help him save her. A pointless battle will occur, creating more tension between Naruto and Sasuke, and the day will inevitably be saved. The Naruto/Sasuke battle will then ensue.

kAi
Wed, 02-23-2005, 12:39 AM
i don't even think there that close together, you still got
rock lee v kimimaro
gaara v kimimaro
naruto v sasuke with all the flashbacks
back at konoha for abit
kakashi gaiden

i think there is plenty there, i don't think we will be seeing much filler, maybe bits and pieces here and there.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Some guy actually did the math awhile back about when the anime would catch up to the manga. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I'm hoping that when the filler comes around, its at least half way decent. Nothing too brilliant so as to take the spotlight away from the main story, but no damn 4-leaf clover doodoo either. Side stories like missions the popular ninjas that aren't main characters go on would be real nice.

Assertn
Wed, 02-23-2005, 01:10 AM
yeah but kai.....
the neji vs kimimaro fight took place around the same time as the neji vs naruto fight did in the anime

this would be chapter 193 vs episode 61
now we're on chapter 248 vs episode 122

in a matter of 61 weeks, the ratio changed from 3.16 to 2.03

....to tell you the truth......
i have no idea what that means i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

uchiha barles: i know, i was one of them who did that i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

EDIT: ok, i decided to go through the math once again....so here's what i have....

First of all, the functions for anime and manga releases are the simple slope formula y=mx+b
the b variable is replaced with the # of episodes/chapters already out since last week
the m variable is 1, since only 1 episode/chapter is released per week

Anime:
122+t=A(t)
t = # of weeks from last release
A(t) = total # of anime episodes at week "t"

Manga:
248+t=M(t)
t = # of weeks from last release
M(t) = total # of manga chapters at week "t"

Ratio:
M(t) = A(t) * (208/122)
M(t) = A(t) * (104/61)

Next step is to combine these 3 functions into 1 function

first, since both Manga and Ratio functions are solved for M(t), we'll combine these:
248 + t = A(t) * (104/61)
(248 + t)(61/104) = A(t)

now that we have this solved for A(t), we can combine it with the Anime function:
(248 + t)(61/104) = 122 + t
(1891/13) + (61/104)t = 122 + t
(305/13) = t - (61/104)t
(305/13) = (43/104)t
t = 56.74 weeks

so there ya have it......at the rate its going, the anime will catch up to the manga in march of next year

kAi
Wed, 02-23-2005, 02:51 AM
that's ages. who cares, it aint anytime soon, and you never know they might stop the anime for a while. a week here a week there.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 02-23-2005, 03:02 AM
Wow, once again I am amazed. When I'm not shit tired, i'm gonna check the math on that one. Plot the data on excel and present the findings for the enjoyment of all gotwoot forum users.

JusDaMan
Wed, 02-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Around 1/2 a year ago (during episode 80) i made a topic of itachi appearing in anime...

That time Someone said that the anime will catch up to the manga in august of 06... now its march of 06?? DANG man... lol

I hope we dont have something like what happened to hunter x hunter Lol

Prof. Chaos
Wed, 02-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Actually I originally thought around Oct/Nov 05 for when they catch up. It's just how these battles have occured soo fast and get them over that made this come to mind. Basically on the 3 year aniversery of the anime will it catch up to the manga.

Psyke
Wed, 02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
I agree with Kai that the anime will take a break too sooner or later. As you guys have mentioned it the anime is catching up, and as everyone knows fillers cannot change anything that the manga is doing (no new characters that last, no characters die, etc), they suck and are only wasting time. I don't think the anime will stop for too long though, maybe 2 or 3 months max.

broshiggie
Wed, 02-23-2005, 10:35 AM
regarding manga/anime formula.

I think Assertn's method is good for a rough estimate and the theory behind it is solid.

I think you could make it even more precise with the following tweak.

First break up the anime into pieces, filler and non-filler. Filler being episodes which share content 100% with the manga.

So lets say (to simplifiy) that there were only 3 non-filler sections of naruto. Section A) consisted of 20 manga issues and 5 episodes, or 4 issues/episode. Section B) consisted of 25 issues and 5 episodes, or 5 issues/episode. C) contained 20 issues and 10 episodes (damn flashbacks) or 2 issues per episode.

So we have ratios of .2 episodes per issue, .25, and .5. Given a large enough sample size i think we will see a pretty tight average and standard deviation.

As far as i can remember, every issue of manga was represented in the anime series, e.g. all fillers in manga were represented in anime.

So to find the average # of issues/episode, one would first have to find the average of the subsets. This will be the average issues per episodes for all the manga issues. Call this value "X".

But then we have to take into account filler episodes. For this i think the best method would be to look at the current ratio of filler eps to content eps and assume that the end result will be similar until the manga catches up (at which point we will be getting nothing but fillers until more content is introduced). Call this value "Y".

So the formula for A(t) would actually be:

A(t) = X*M(t) + Y*M(t)

Where the first term is anime derived from content, and the second term is episodes derived from filler.

Our final ratio equation would be A(t) = (X+Y)*M(t)

At least i think that will work. It just seemed to me to be more accurate to count the filler eps and the manga eps separately and then merge the results.

RasenDori
Wed, 02-23-2005, 10:44 AM
all of this math is hurting my head...

Destroyor
Wed, 02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
So are you guys going to do standard dev on the weekly manga:anime ratio with 95% confidence interval?

Seriously you guys have wayyyyyyy too much time on your hands, but then again so do I -_-||||.

Assertn
Wed, 02-23-2005, 01:16 PM
broshiggie, i dont think it would be too big of an issue....
only about 5% of all the anime episodes were "filler episodes"....while the rest either had no filler, or had a little bit of filler
and it would be impractical to go and add up all the filler segments from those episodes

the estimate i took into account was the rate they are going at now, which is about 1.7 chapters per ep
and if i recall correctly, that was about the same rate they had back in the chuunin exam episodes. So chances are, it will be about 1.7 for a while until they seriously consider a longer filler saga.

Destroyer: it took me no longer than maybe 15 minutes to come up with the math AND write it all out i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

now if i REALLY had the time....i wouldve gone so far as to set up a script that would have a clock to countdown until the time that the anime reaches the manga, with an option for me to make adjustments to the ratio as i see fit

Winged Dancer
Wed, 02-23-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't think the anime will completely catch up with the manga, ever. I didn't bother to read Assertn's maths 'cause maths scare me, but the final result is plausible... well, I think the time jump will appear in the anime around november or december, not march, though.

Anyway, Kai's right though. There's still some things to show before the glorious Lip-stick Sasuke vs. Frogfox Naruto. The anime is just about to show the Rock Lee vs. Kimimaro battle, and I bet they'll stretch it a little - just like Kiba's battle was extended (with flashbacks and shit like that), Rock Lee's battle could be longer, which would be fine 'cause Rock Lee is so amazing.

Afterwards, in come Gaara, Temari and Kankuro. The same here - they'll add a little flavor to the battles, instead of finishing them so soon. Kankuro will play around some more with Sakon, maybe Ukon will make a short apparition since Kankuro had two puppets now (or so I think), and then there's Gaara and Lee's conversation under the tree and stuff.

Finally, there's Sasuke's flashback, explaining Itachi and his sharingan and all the "You must kill your BESTEST FRIEND!!!11" explanation. As with all the damn flashbacks, it'll be extended. You can bet on that.

And then, at last, Naruto vs. Sasuke. Which hopefully will be cool to see.

If they are going to make any fillers, I hope it'll be a little like Naruto training with Jiraiya and getting in some problem or other, and short arcs - two or three episodes, not like the long and stupid Tea Country thing. After those fillers, they can get started on the Kakashi Gaiden arc, which could have a few fillers within itself, or it could just be made longer.

...or they could tell us the Fourth's name, and we'd be so happy.
(BTW, I can't wait to see the Fourth animated and to hear his voice)

basey44
Wed, 02-23-2005, 08:08 PM
ugh i totally forgot about sasukes flashback, thats gonna take ages, it went for like 10 chapters. well not really 10 but u get the point

Assertn
Thu, 02-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
I don't think the anime will completely catch up with the manga, ever. I didn't bother to read Assertn's maths 'cause maths scare me, but the final result is plausible... well, I think the time jump will appear in the anime around november or december, not march, though.

when i say "the anime will catch up to the manga in march"
i meant the episode that is released that week will be the same as the chapter released that week

the time jump should appear in 20 something weeks from now

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 02-24-2005, 12:16 AM
I warned you. I warned you all. They'll probably extend the episodes out a bit but filler content is enevitable (shutters at the thought of more light sabers).

Although I'm confused about the second movie. Isn't supposed to be a battle between naruto and sasuke? Does that mean that the big naruto vs sasuke battle will be given the theatrical treatment. They might not even show it in the anime. Might just do the movie then take a break until the time jump has some more content. Wonder if they'll call it Naruto part 2 or Naruto Z after the time jump occurs in the anime.

basey44
Thu, 02-24-2005, 12:40 AM
what if they just skip the Z and go straight to GT?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *naruto transforms to super kyuubi lvl 4, with pink fur on his legs*

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-24-2005, 07:42 AM
We should standardize what we call part 2. Is it 'part two' or 'Naruto Z' or still just 'Naruto' continued.

I personally like Naruto Z, just because it makes the narutards I see go crazy. They lose it when you compare Naruto to DBZ.

Back on topic: They are definitely going to add more filler, but the problem is what. I don't see what they can possibly add anywhere other than show parts of the time jump. They might extend the Kakashi Gaiden, but that would be a huge waste. (start over and call the series 'Obito' for a while?)

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 02-24-2005, 08:45 AM
I actually would'nt mind it that much if the whole Kakashi Gaiden thing was extended a bit with new content. Kakashi Gaiden felt a bit rushed in my opionion and fleshing it out a bit would make it more poignant.

Nine Tailed Demon
Thu, 02-24-2005, 09:23 AM
The time jump we'll probably see Naruto training for a few eps without showing his moves and stuff. Maybe a Kohmaru adventure...

Superman
Thu, 02-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I really think they will just stop making the show for a while. I think when the anime gets to the time jump, they will wait about 6 months or so befor continuing with "Naruto 2." It would really get people talking about it and interested I think. Like big season finales to for shows like ER or Friends. I think they should have done this with the manga too. Give Kishmoto some time to get ahead so he could really crank them out when he was ready.

The difference I guess is that there is no manga for most American TV shows. This idea may just convince more people to read the manga. Who knows.

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 02-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Thats probably the best thing that can happen. It would be alot better then more stupid filler storylines.

Jman
Thu, 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
filler? I'd hope not. I'll be damned if Morino Idate makes another stellar appearance in which he outruns everyone this time but Lee.

Assertn
Fri, 02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
how come japanese writers can never come up with good stories on their own relying completely on the manga?

They need to sit down and watch some batman animated series or something, to learn how to create a decent 20 minute plot

Y
Fri, 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
how come japanese writers can never come up with good stories on their own relying completely on the manga?

While the plot of most manga series' isn't exactly stellar in the first place, I see your point. It's probably because scriptwiters for Japanese animated TV shows are hired for their ability to crank out scripts in a timely manner, not their amazing writing. Plus they've been doing nothing but attempting to write true-to-the-manga material for so long that when they break the mold it turns to shit.

Psyke
Sat, 02-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

They need to sit down and watch some batman animated series or something, to learn how to create a decent 20 minute plot

The writers have a lot of limitations.

1) Time. They can only do a short story which cannot drift too far from the manga
2) Story. No characters can evolve or die or (insert something important)
3) Continuation. The story must link back to the story of the manga and not cause any confusion

In short, they have to come up with something that isn't boring, and cannot put in anything that will affect the characters and the storyline. Not that easy to do.....

Insomniac
Sat, 02-26-2005, 08:42 PM
i would think that they would have a few months break before continueing part 2, so that way the manga stays ahead

potentialflip
Fri, 03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
A break seems reasonable. With Naruto series showing up in America dubbed and all censored at the end of summer I think they would take a small break before continuing part 2. Who knows probably new voice actors since some of them have grown up. Though that whole County of Tea part really was lame IMO.

snowball
Tue, 03-08-2005, 01:51 AM
be odd to have the anime catch up wonder if they would stop the show for a bit