PDA

View Full Version : Joker-kun Service Act

joker-kun
Fri, 02-18-2005, 09:41 PM
This is to address some problems I have seen around the forums, and have seen others bring up on irc and other forms of communication (who's names I will not mention).

Firstly, due to the Naruto licensing, I think ANYONE, wether it is a n00b, or someone who joined in 2003, make a thread about naruto being licensed, or who will continue subbing it should get a temporary ban. If it has not already been done, place a sticky in the Naruto forum, if they don't read it, thier fault.

Second, any post that is under 5 words, or without a proper sentence should either get warned or banned, depending on repition. This includes posts such as:
Yes, I agree.
You're an idiot.
Quit Spamming (you're indirectly spamming yourself)
etc.
If you agree with something, or are telling someone something that doesn't require a full sentence, then elaborate, even if it sounds "cheesey".

Thirdly, Anyone complaining about a forum rule or policy, unless they are suggesting a substitute or suggesting a new one (like i am), (even though most have been discarded from the tsunami of n00bs - thank you Mut for that phrase), should in exchange be warned, or if it persists banned, this includes signature size. If you don't like it leave, or make a donation, atleast then you have slightly done something for the site.

Fourth, this seems to have long been forgotten, but there is categories for topics to be in, anything concerning something to do with that category, goes into it, if it is almost the same, then either put it in general discussion, or in the category that fits it best. If people are unable to do that, then warn them or give them a ban.

Fifth, I know the forum used to have a warning system, and a Mod forum, and im pretty sure they still do. If not, then make one, and make it if the person gets 5 warnings they are banned. It is up to the Moderator who gave it, or an Admin to lift the warning. If you get 3 warnings in the same week, they get banned. Lastly if they do something that a Moderator feels should cause a ban on the first infliction, then a poll can be made in the staff forum, after the person is banned, to lift the ban, otherwise the ban is kept.

I have some more thoughts, but they are technically already part of the rules, people just don't read them (such as useless topics etc.).

I have been using this forum since about 4 day's after it was made, and joined around 2 weeks after. I have watched this forum grow, and decline in the amount of members using it. I don't use the forums as much anymore for a few reasons, mostly being it seems rules are starting to be thrown out the window, and nothing is being followed. This was fine in the past few months when the forums were going through a decline, but thanks to the gotwoot staff, it seems the new site and site features are bringing people back and more users (aswell as the Naruto licensing). i don't wanna see this place turned into a barbaric not fun place to be, and i think it will if the new users, and some old ones keep elevating in the breaking rules department.

I hope some of these suggestions, if not all and can be put to use, and I also thank the gotwoot admins (Wilik, Ciber, Suede) for the new site and features.

Mut
Fri, 02-18-2005, 09:45 PM
only thing missing is my absolute authority.

kAi
Fri, 02-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Yes, I agree.
a warning system sounds good, and you should be able to see if you've been warned. and know the reason.

KitKat
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Joker, these are great suggestions. I too have been somewhat frustrated by the multitude of irrelevant and misplaced posts over the past week or so.

One other thing I would suggest is having a comprehensive list of forum rules somewhere very visible. Right now, the forum rules are something that most of us know from being here (or just from common sense), but I think it would help if we had a standardized list that everyone could refer to. This way, people have no excuse for breaking the rules. I think that if you want to implement standardized punishments for breaking rules, we need to first have standardized official rules.

Mut
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: kAi
Yes, I agree.
a warning system sounds good, and you should be able to see if you've been warned. and know the reason.
ignorance shouldn't be an excuse for breaking the rules. that's just absurd.

gw doesn't have that many rules and is one of the more lenient forums out there, which is really cool. but gw is only strict on avatar and sig sizes (also animation) and spoilers. those are the main things that people have to watch out for. repeat topics or creating topics in the wrong forum isn't even that big of a deal and spamming isn't too big either.

one of the problems for handling members with sig sizes over 400x80 was that PM'ing or posting wasn't always getting to them. when i sent pm's and posted, many of the memebers who were violating the rules didn't either check their pm box (i guess they were just unaware of the flashing link) or didn't bother revisiting the thread i warned them in. the point of "mods" (note how the word is in quotes) like kagari and lasaire getting promoted was to take care of the new members who were ignorant of the sig and ava rules. but since the mods can only warn them by messaging the members in one way or another instead of actually being able to remove/fix their sigs, the entire effort of having those 'sig/ava mods' was pointless. it was the same as any random member messaging another. not only that, those "mods" are never around anymore. but then again, ciber and wilik can't give all the mods admin-like powers, right?

as for the warning system, gw sorta has one. i don't wanna go into too much detail about it but gw does have a way to keep track of the warnings. so, as long as the mods/admins keep records of the warnings, it shouldn't be a problem. but then again, this is what i remember from back when i was a mod, so things might've changed since then. although, i doubt it. i think the system gw has right now is effective enough.

and as for leniency, most of the mods are very lenient and they let some of things slide. or maybe it's just the result of infrequent check ups by those mods and that's why some things were overlooked. but in any case, it's obvious gw members are used to the soft, marshmellowy types of environments and they bitch at the any sign of intolerant or strict authority. granted, i was a complete ass but i believe i got the job done. many members label disciplined behavior and the more strictness as being 'jackasses' and use that as an excuse to why gw had a decline of activity and whatnot. i think calling the more stern mods as the bad guys is just a pathetic response to cover up their ignorance of the rules. for example, there was a member who has been around for more than a year was using a sig that was over the 400x80 size limit. which is just absurd. and he kept the sig around for at least couple of weeks before it got taken down. that just shows a lack of respect and care of the forums, its rules, and its members/mods/admins. for an active member who's been around for so long to break the rules is nonsensical. in my honest opinion, i think most of the problems come from the ignorant members themselves, not from the strict mods or the rules we adamently enforce.

anyway, i've gone a bit off topic, but the issues i've explained have relevance to the original post. i don't know if my post is gonna be read and understood without the bias opinions and thoughts people have against me. i'm pretty sure 95% of the people who read this (or any part of it for that matter) will just say that i am trying to defend myself and blame others for what happened. but that's okay, the world isn't fair and i know that.

joker-kun
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:49 PM
I dunno if you were implying it Mut, but I wasn't say Mod's were too strict, i was saying they wern't strict enough. As for you being blamed in the past for declining member numbers, that's stupidity. If you recall, the forums lost alot of people when the new forum design was made and sig/ava sizes were put forth. This just shows how much certain people lack respect for the forum, instead of having a more stable place to chat, they would rather whine and then leave. If the forums numbers were cut in half due to Mod's being "asses", then so be it, atleast we would have good relevant topics, which we could actually enjoy posting too.

GLS
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by: KitKat
One other thing I would suggest is having a comprehensive list of forum rules somewhere very visible. Right now, the forum rules are something that most of us know from being here (or just from common sense), but I think it would help if we had a standardized list that everyone could refer to. This way, people have no excuse for breaking the rules. I think that if you want to implement standardized punishments for breaking rules, we need to first have standardized official rules.

I agree. Would it be possible to add a button at the top of the page? Or perhaps have krbadass/another admin put the rules in the "faq" section.

Mut
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:57 PM
yeah, i was in agreence with you. i was saying that the mods weren't strict enough and how unfair it is for the ignorant members to complain at the more adament mods.

granted, my tough approach to modship was not for everyone but i don't believe that it wasn't anything the members couldn't handle. if i saw a repeat thread, i locked it. if i saw a thread that was posted in the wrong forum, i moved it. if i saw a spoiler, i removed it and gave a warning letting the member know that it'll result in a ban if they keep breaking the rules. for animated and overly large sigs and avas, i posted and pm'd them stating the rule and warning them that it will result in a ban if they don't fix it. i usually gave over a WEEK for the member to get it fixed. a week is more than enough for someone to notice that there is something flashing on EVERY SINGLE forum page they look at. of course the week i gave them was based on their 'last visited date' shown on their profile cuz people could go away for like a month and then come back.

kAi
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:59 PM
well it's been brought up (mut), a probation system implemented for small time offencses, and you get banned for a set time, and if you make the same mistake within a month or something a longer ban. something like happened to Y.

But if you do a major offence, it's Good-Bye!

Mut
Fri, 02-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by: kAi
well it's been brought up (mut), a probation system implemented for small time offencses, and you get banned for a set time, and if you make the same mistake within a month or something a longer ban. something like happened to Y.

But if you do a major offence, it's Good-Bye!
i think temporary bans (probations) are a great idea but unfortunately, the ban system is faulty.

Originally posted by: gaaralovessand

Originally posted by: KitKat

I agree. Would it be possible to add a button at the top of the page? Or perhaps have krbadass/another admin put the rules in the "faq" section.
ok, there is no need to have a 'rules' page/section. even before the redesign of the site and forums, the rules were already there and it was clear.

http://img132.exs.cx/img132/1968/news3jk.jpg

before the new layout, that link stated sig size and about animation and those rules were official. but i'll hear people go, 'how were we suppose to know, that is so small, blah blah.' NO. it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you read the rules of the forums and if you couldn't see that link, you could've always either asked for the rules or did a forum search. also, about spoilers, they are in the forum description and it is common sense. it is written right below the forum links so there is no excuse to not knowing that the forum didn't allow spoilers.

but people will break these rules anyway, and the mods who strictly enforce the rules called assholes and they get complained about. give me a break.

Arcn3ss
Fri, 02-18-2005, 11:56 PM
You guys bring up some interesting issues about the forum that I tend to agree with you on. I agree with some type of system coming into place

Like you guys said, there is an utter disregard for the forums. The rules are meant to be followed. There is no point on having rules if people aren't following them.

I hate seeing litter in the forums. The whole Naruto section looks like shit, because of the flood of new members. No offence to some of them, because some follow the rules, but others just don't give a shit. Creating threads and post whenever they feel like, even if it doesn't belong in the particular section of the forum. We shouldn't have to cater to the new members. They need to learn the rules before they post. It's very simple. I don't like seeing 4 or 5 locked topics in one section because of people's inability to use the search function. Its not like it's hard either, and most sections only have a few pages of threads.

General Discussion is for any type of chat. Post whatever, doesnt matter just have fun.The sections labeled for a specific type of anime etc, should only be for that topic.

...bleh...Iam done for now...

Assertn
Sat, 02-19-2005, 12:38 PM
no minimum word limit......
sometimes i can express a complete response in a post of just 1 or 2 words

joker-kun
Sat, 02-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
no minimum word limit......
sometimes i can express a complete response in a post of just 1 or 2 words

Well then, we either need the current ACTIVE mods, or some new mods to actually delete spam posts, which the original rule is....which seems to have been long forgotten.

Mut
Sat, 02-19-2005, 02:10 PM
like i said, all gw needs is me back in the frontline. but less nazi like, of course.

Deblas
Sat, 02-19-2005, 03:39 PM
http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=13893&enterthrea d=y
looks like you did what you wanted to remove.

joker-kun
Sat, 02-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=13893&enterthrea d=y
looks like you just did what you wanted to remove.

Look at the date dumb dumb, it was like 7 days ago, so I didn't JUST do it, mook. It still doesn't change the fact the rule should be put into place.

Deblas
Sat, 02-19-2005, 05:42 PM
the truth hurts doesnt it joker_kun.

That bit has been edited now

joker-kun
Sat, 02-19-2005, 08:12 PM

Deblas, seriously, go away, if you have nothing useful to say. first off I wouldn't be hurt by someone who thinks he can host an image off his hardrive.

Second, I edited nothing, I have no reason too, I did something that I want a rule against, and there is no current one in place. So go grow a brain then come back, or make your first contribuation to this forum, and make a useful suggestion, if you reply back to me I am not gonna reply back to you. Thanks again for being useless, and be happy, you did waste 5 minutes of my time.

Deblas
Sat, 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by: joker-kun
[quote]

Deblas, seriously, go away, if you have nothing useful to say. first off I wouldn't be hurt by someone who thinks he can host an image off his hardrive.

Breath deep joker. Breath nice and deep. wusa, wuuusa. And about the image thing. everyone learns how to do something like you learned how to. I just didnt know how to do it that time. remember: He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

Knives122
Sat, 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
<u>Warning system</u>: dont have a problem with it

<u>Putting threads where they actually belong</u>: seems reasonable, people can read and should know where things should go(and if they dont then they should search around before they do)

<u>complexity of the "banning system"</u> : ehhh I dont really have a problem with how it works now, or how your suggesting it should work (aka dont care)

<u>Mod forum</u> : dont really care if they put it on here or not, but then again they have IRC

overall there are things people on this site will like and wont like (once again dont really care, and not my problem) from your suggestions, its mostly the case of whether or not W.C.S(I felt like abbreviating their names; deal with it) will put them on this site

Assertn
Sun, 02-20-2005, 01:04 PM
knives......the problem with the banning system, is that some people seem to be able to post regardless of whether they are banned or not

anyway.....consider this scenario...
a person gets pissed for some reason on the forums, so they start posting massive spoilers and whatnot.
the mods ban them, but they can still come back
now they can start as many topics as they want, post as many spoilers as they want, and flame as many people as they want without consequence

intense
Sun, 02-20-2005, 01:56 PM
YEA... just like Jin234... Jeeze... i hate that kid. that guy is just a silly 11 year old nerd.