PDA

View Full Version : need enlightment about naruto anime fast

MrGoochi
Tue, 02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Why subgroups like ANBU stop subbing the anime series when they are licensed?What is the difference?Isn`t Naruto licensed by a company(Tokyo TV i thin) in Japan?So why stop releasing this great anime?Please someone explain cause i am in the darkness.i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Jessper
Tue, 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
when they are licensed here the company can take legal action against the group for infringing upon their product. The subbing groups don't want to get in a legal mess so they stop, unless they have a tracker based in the uk or something that isn't effected by licenses here.

stos289
Tue, 02-15-2005, 08:59 PM
First, for a brief description of the legal terms of licensing, look at ANBU's legal terms here (http://anbudom.net/faq.php). Now I will give my description. When a series is "licensed" it usually means that a company in the United States has obtained legal rights of all distribution and affiliation towards that series in the US. They control everything of that series, including the copyright. When a fansubbing group decides to do a release of a "licensed" series, they are breaking the copyright that the US company has legally obtained, thus breaking the law. That is why ANBU (as they describe in their legal terms) stop their releases of the series to avoide any kind of legal confrontation. That is the United States side of the story.

In Japan, series such as Naruto are licensed by Japanese companies such as Studio Pierrot (the company that does Naruto). They own all distribution and affiliation of the series in Japan. However, technically when fansub groups release these "unlicensed" (not licensed in the US) series, they are breaking an international copyright law (thus it being illegal). However, many (not all, check this (http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/legal/mediafactory.html) page for example) encourage these fansubs as it is basically a free "test" for the series, giving them an initiative to allow a licensing if they think the series will be popular in the Americas due to internet buzz. Thats one of the main reasons why the whole fansubbing world exists today.

I hope this answered the questions you had.

Lostprophet8
Fri, 02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Haku no Fuyu
Fri, 02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
We should all pool our cash and start an anime company*. We'd be hundredares overnight**!

*Money may in fact be spent on booze, or a crown for Mut.
**Overnight mat acctualy be many, many, booze filled nights.

z0diac
Fri, 02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
I think it makes very good sense but its tough when you get hooked on a series and suddenly it gets licensed and stops getting subbed. I dont know what i would do if DB didnt keep subbing Naruto... I would go ga ga O_o.