PDA

View Full Version : Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place

Stoopider
Mon, 02-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Anybody remember the show Makoto Shinkai was supposed to produce (Hoshi no Koe). And his next project was 'Beyond the Clouds'?

I remember there was so much hype about it. And suddenly now everybody forgotten about it I guess..

Has it been released? Or it's still in production. If it's been released. Anybody know where I can find it?

Everon
Tue, 02-15-2005, 09:01 PM
It was released. DVD should be out by Feb 17. But from what I've heard the artwork is just fluff.

Munsu
Fri, 02-18-2005, 11:37 AM
i expect triad to be working on it

anime050
Sun, 02-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Gasp. There's a raw out already? =3.

Munsu
Mon, 02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
http://a.scarywater.net/triad/%5BTriad%5D_Beyond_the_Clouds.avi.torrent

it's out enjoy

Ryllharu
Tue, 03-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Makoto Shinkai's work is amazing. The story's are either really deep or really shallow (usually both, which is a testament to his work). I thought the animation in Voices of a Distant Star was beautiful, but Beyond the Clouds is absolutely stunning. The work he does with light is by far the most impressive of any anime I've seen. If you've seen Voices, you have to see Beyond the Clouds. If not, see both.

phlos
Wed, 03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I just got done watching it and i have to agree that the art is awsome. I would definitly recommend watching this movie

jing
Mon, 03-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe its too deep for me or whatever, but i didn't find it good or exciting.

Kraco
Mon, 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Resurrecting a full year (and a little more) old thread is certainly a nefarious act of necromancy, but making a new thread for this would be even worse. Anyway, I just watched Ani-Kraze's sub (http://www.anime-kraze.org/torrent/%5BAni-Kraze%5D_Kumo_no_Mukou_-_Yakusoku_no_Basho_%5BDVD_AC3%5D_%5B8E8BCB93%5D.av i.torrent) of this movie, and it certainly was beautiful and great. Very calm yet still very captivating and never boring. It was quite deep, but on the other hand simple, which is exactly what Ryllharu said (a year ago...).

If there still lingers somebody who is not all obligatory shounen fan and hasn't seen this, this movie is most certainly worth watching. The file took ages to download with the particular torrent I was using (a week, no less, for 1.4 GB), but it was worth every second.

I actually saw the first reference to this movie monts ago at a completely different forum that has nothing to do with anime, and ever since it kept bugging me, until I finally downloaded it.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread reminds me that I downloaded that movie months ago...
I never saw it... wonder if its still on my HDD.... or could I have burned it?

Another thing to look after job hours are done...

Harima Kenji
Mon, 04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
I really liked this movie.. I really have to watch it again to see all the details and really understand the story. The first time I just disabled my mind while I watched it..that's my standard procedure or watching anime, because if you start to think too much while watching a series like Bleach or Naruto you won't enjoy the series.
Normally I'm not really attracted to stand alone movies, because they feel rushed and unfinished most of the time, but BtC didn't give me that feeling at al..

Board of Command
Mon, 04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I should really watch this movie again. First time I watched it I was just left in awe by the animation. I'd probably understand the story better after my second run.

Board of Command
Sun, 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Excuse the double post, but I just watched this again (almost 2 years later...) and fully understood the whole package. I mean...WOW...that has to be one of the greatest animes ever. It's just beautiful.

If you haven't watched this yet, I urge you to grab it right now (from KickAssAnime) and set aside 90 minutes of your life to enjoy this absolute masterpiece of a movie.

kenren
Mon, 05-14-2007, 12:31 AM
This title caught my eyes. I'm downloading it right now.
*can't wait to watch*

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
If you haven't watched this yet, I urge you to grab it right now (from KickAssAnime) and set aside 90 minutes of your life to enjoy this absolute masterpiece of a movie.
Or you could...buy it. The dubs are fantastic on all of Makoto Shinkai's work. Plus, you're also supporting him to make more of his wonderful films.

I've bought every one of them that's has come out. I'm eagerly awaiting 5cm to be released on dvd here.

Lucifus
Mon, 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Board of Command......Thank you.

That was more amazing that Voices of a Distant Star. The animation was effing amazing and thats just one of the most moving thingies I've ever watched. That was just a damn good hour and a half spent of time.

I have no idea how I never heard of this movie, but I'm damn glad you posted about itZ. This was ...effing sweet.

Edit: Man o man do I want to make a signature off of this, but I don't have the time. Damn final exams! >.>

Edit2: BoC, greatest double post ever.

animus
Mon, 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM
That was one of the best spent 1 hour and 30 minutes in my life, such a tranquil, calm, quiet, movie.

Edit: I'm confused by the ending, did Sawatari die or something? I know it doesn't show it but it doesn't correlate with the scene at the beginning with Hiroki at the abandoned train station seemingly as an adult, and with the image of a young middle school Sayuri running towards him yelling "Airplane! Airplane!" and then disappearing.

Board of Command
Mon, 05-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm not totally sure either. That part was pretty open-ended. Maybe the tower was completely linked to her mind and destroying the tower also killed her? But in the scene where Takuya and Hiroko were fighting in the hangar, they were arguing about "Save Sayuri or save the world?"

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I've watched it enough times (in both languages) to get the ending. Most of Shinkai's films need at least more than two viewings to really get them. (Hoshi no Koe took me 4 times.)

The tower was breaking the separation between two worlds, and was going to engulf and destroy the planet. Sayuri was keeping it shut, exactly how is never explained. They realized that they needed to bring her to "their promised place" to bring her back and out of her coma. Doing so would destroy the world, which is why she had never left on her own. The tower was the only place where they could reconnect, and thus the only place where she would ever come out of the coma. They had to get to the tower before it was destroyed, or Sayuri would be lost forever.

The last line is key. "In a world in which we lost our promised place, we've begun to live again." Happy endings all around.

animus
Mon, 05-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, I already understood most of that, it just doesn't quite fit with the beginning scene of Hiroki standing back at the abandoned station looking back at Sayuri's running image yelling about a plane. Are they not together anymore? Did she die?

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Did you not see how she faded? That was before he had found her at the hospital in a coma, and before the two of them finished the plane to rescue her. That was a memory of the past. They didn't have any motivation to finish the plane since they all went their separate ways. Thus, they can't meet at their promised place which is beyond the clouds with no vehicle to get there.

Sorry if that sounded...confusing, I just woke up. Read through it a couple of times and it should make sense.

animus
Tue, 05-15-2007, 08:09 AM
But, he looks like an adult in that scene with a suit and a stoic look, not a teenager. It had to have been years after the ending. And the narration for that scene was him saying beyond those clouds lies their promised place, but the tower is nowhere in sight and is already destroyed.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Believe whatever you want then. I've seen the movie so many times and there is zero indication anywhere that she died.

Using the beginning as proof she somehow died is unfounded as well. If you're right and it's beyond the end of the film, then Hiroki is reminiscing about the place they were able to connect.

animus
Tue, 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Believe whatever you want then. I've seen the movie so many times and there is zero indication anywhere that she died.

Using the beginning as proof she somehow died is unfounded as well. If you're right and it's beyond the end of the film, then Hiroki is reminiscing about the place they were able to connect.

Yea it doesn't necessarily mean she died, but him reminiscing alone about Sayuri, and not with him somehow gives the impression that she's out of the picture i.e. braindead, dead, they broke up, or she just didn't want to come back to the station.

Board of Command
Tue, 05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Hiroki in the beginning is definitely older than the one that flew Sayuri to the tower in the plane. Also, since Sayuri disappeared he went to Tokyo and drifted through 3 years "all alone in the world." He didn't go back to his hometown until the events in the movie so the timelines don't match.

Now, I'm not saying Sayuri died but it seems to me like they're not together anymore.

kenren
Sat, 05-19-2007, 01:40 AM
I just finished watching this and after reading the posts before this,
i'm with BoC, like he said.. the timelines don't match.

This movie is great.I'll watch it again after my O-level trials <3

mage
Sat, 05-19-2007, 07:18 AM
I watched this a few years ago and showed it to my friends, but none of them liked it. One of the best anime movies out IMO.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Sayuri didnt die period. The beginning was presented that way in order to create an atmosphere and feeling of dread and anxiety, something that is usually justified with the numerous tragic (both intentionally and unintentionally) endings in anime. This atmosphere was then completely turned around with the ending, which should be quite unexpected because of the setup right from the beginning. It was of course, also done to prevent spoiling the ending. Just imagine seeing him with Sayuri in the very beginning. The ending would lose 99.99 percent of its goodness. I think it is this style of delivery that really sets this one apart from the rest.

Also the fact that they did not show any solid sign that Sayuri is either dead or not with him anymore automatically defaults the ending to them being together. Being sulky and all around sad looking doesnt have to mean they split up, it just means he grew up.

The times match. Hiroki only said that the story he was about to tell/remember was from a long time ago. The three year reference was made in the context of the story, said by the highschooler Hiroki.

Kraco
Sun, 05-20-2007, 03:48 PM
This movie was such a visual work of art that I don't know why there should be one definite truth about that. If someone sees it as Sayuri having died or gone away, then I think that should be fine. In some cases the story would become meaningful when perceptions are "corrected", but that's only when the story wouldn't make sense or would suck as long as the "incorrect" view remains. I don't think that would be the case here.

But then again, I never paid much heed to any extra material and such which reveals the "truths" about shows and stories. So this is just my opinion. I think a story is better when you are free to feel it as you experienced it and not when everything to the tiniest detail is explained to you by the author or other people involved. But again, this is just what I think.

Board of Command
Sun, 05-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Sayuri didnt die period. The beginning was presented that way in order to create an atmosphere and feeling of dread and anxiety, something that is usually justified with the numerous tragic (both intentionally and unintentionally) endings in anime. This atmosphere was then completely turned around with the ending, which should be quite unexpected because of the setup right from the beginning. It was of course, also done to prevent spoiling the ending. Just imagine seeing him with Sayuri in the very beginning. The ending would lose 99.99 percent of its goodness. I think it is this style of delivery that really sets this one apart from the rest.

Also the fact that they did not show any solid sign that Sayuri is either dead or not with him anymore automatically defaults the ending to them being together. Being sulky and all around sad looking doesnt have to mean they split up, it just means he grew up.

The times match. Hiroki only said that the story he was about to tell/remember was from a long time ago. The three year reference was made in the context of the story, said by the highschooler Hiroki.
I think you misunderstood me. I said the timelines don't match if the Hiroki at the very beginning is actually younger than the one flying the plane.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
BOC - sorry, I guess I did misunderstand.

Kraco - Thats quite true, at least in the case of them splitting up. But if it suggests that Sayuri died, which is completely unfounded, then that would be a different case. Actually, her death would be impossible, since the way Hiroki refers to her in the beginning points to the fact that she is alive, since his use of japanese past tense does not utilize language used when referring to deceased persons. Them splitting up would be viable, and I guess is quite a reasonable interpretation. I just dont believe it rounds the story up as well as a happy ending.

animus
Sun, 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't know how you think her death is unfounded when there's such an open ending and an intro that has somewhat of a conflict with the ending. You do know that in the intro he doesn't refer to her directly at all. He just says "our promised place" or "our promised land". I don't see how it matters, you do not need to talk about a dead person, and refer to them like they are dead. Sure I'd like the happy ending and wouldn't like to think that Sayuri died, but your reasoning for ruling out a unhappy ending is silly.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Hahaha, OMG.

When you talk about dead people, you refer to them as if they were DEAD, because they are. Its so simple I cant believe you couldnt get it. True, he referred to what she said to him before in the past tense, but not in the manner you would speak if that person is dead. Oh and he did refer to her directly. But that isnt the main point.

It is the sheer lack of evidence that rules it out. There is no solid proof or even indication that such is the case. Like I said before, them splitting up is plausible due to the stuff that hiroki said, but Sayuri being dead? Come on. If all you assert as the foundation for Sayuri's death is the intro and its disparity with the ending, I can just as well assert that she was kidnapped by aliens 2 years after their reunion and became the queen of some galactic royal kingdom. Get the point?

animus
Tue, 05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
We must be watching different movies, because the intro with Hiroki as an adult and at the abandoned station, he doesn't talk about her at all. All he says it, "On that day long ago, beyond those clouds, lies the place of our promise." If you were talking about when he actually narrates when the actual beginning of the story starts, that is another story. He does refer to her directly, and he refers to her like she's alive, because in the beginning of the story she is alive. It'd be silly if he were to introduce her character, and say that she had died or something from the get go.

You can assert your ending that way. This is an open ending, you do not see them grow old together, or get married or have kids. You just see Sayuri crying on the plane, and it cuts out. By waking Sayuri from the dream, by bringing her to the tower they lost their promised place, being the tower. The tower held all their dream, aspirations, and it was just a sign of something that was theirs, and theirs alone even if in their own world. We don't see her die at the ending, but Hiroki just says "we may have lost our promised place, but our lives begin now.", leaving the ending a pretty wide open ending.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I saw them as tears of happiness, that he went through so much effort to save her from the dreamworld she was lost inside while protecting everyone. In the scene right before she opens her eyes, he says that he's brought her to the promised place, significant only because they said earlier they would use the plane to visit the tower.

She acknowledges that they are about to lose something (a feeling she was unsure of the cause the length of her dream sequence). It should be obvious that they are about to lose the tower as a place they promised to go. She goes on about how she urgently needed to tell him about their dreams and hearts connecting the way they did are an equally special and unique connection, a promised place of their own, forged only by their need to see each other.

I fail to see how Hiroki saying "we may have lost our promised place, but our lives begin now," conveys anything but a positive ending. It correlates directly with Sayuri's speech about losing their place, but knowing they still have something unique together in their hearts.

animus
Tue, 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I saw them as tears of happiness, that he went through so much effort to save her from the dreamworld she was lost inside while protecting everyone. In the scene right before she opens her eyes, he says that he's brought her to the promised place, significant only because they said earlier they would use the plane to visit the tower.

She acknowledges that they are about to lose something (a feeling she was unsure of the cause the length of her dream sequence). It should be obvious that they are about to lose the tower as a place they promised to go. She goes on about how she urgently needed to tell him about their dreams and hearts connecting the way they did are an equally special and unique connection, a promised place of their own, forged only by their need to see each other.

I fail to see how Hiroki saying "we may have lost our promised place, but our lives begin now," conveys anything but a positive ending. It correlates directly with Sayuri's speech about losing their place, but knowing they still have something unique together in their hearts.

Sure your explanation has a lot good points. But that's not the point of arguement. The ending may end nice, but the issue was that it didn't seem to match up with the intro with Hiroki (an adult) at the abandoned station, alone.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Of course he was alone at the beginning. He was reflecting on his own about the loss of the tower as their promised place and showing him and Sayuri together from the beginning would have ruined the suspense of whether or not they'd get her out of her coma in time.

If you want to envision a bad conclusion to this film, fine. All of Makoto Shinkai's work has hopeful endings (don't know about 5cm yet, still waiting for a whole version of it).

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-22-2007, 11:14 PM
"I always have the feeling that Im losing something," she said
But still, her words moved me.

These are two of the first few lines of the movie, and he IS referring to her, isnt he? If that person is dead, the wording would be different, like "she used to say", or the like. That would have indicated her death, even if it is just slightly.

And you seem to have missed the idea of an open ending. No matter how open it is, it is still an ENDING, meaning the end should be based on the story and the events that happened there. If you assert that you can just freely decide on an ending just because there is a huge time gap, then there is no point watching the movie at all. And in truth, the ending isnt as open as you say, since it did have a solid ending, which was positive however you look at it.

But, it is your freedom to think what you want. It really is none of my business whether you think Sayuri died or not, but I just thought that the greatness of this movie is being wasted if it is appreciated on such a level, no offense. The ominous intro paired with the happy ending is one of my favorite parts of the movie, I just didnt want it seen so wrongly.

Ryllharu - Agreed with the positive ending part. Though I said the split up ending is possible, it is unlikely, at least compared to him just reminiscing alone in order to set the general mood of the story, and setup the surprising ending.