PDA

View Full Version : Give me an RPG recommendation.

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Okay I have some money to waste and I need a new game to forget reality along with.

I want an RPG. And I want it to be new, because if it's old, I've played it.
Oh, and only for Gamecube and PS2. AND not a game that's "coming out". It must be out, NOW.

So quickly, come here and aid your local god!

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:11 PM
you should got suikoden 4. But, the only annoying thing about the game is the ship ride. Why? because it takes a long times to got to your destination and lot of monsters while you're gotting there.

Souryusen
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by: animefreak
you should got suikoden 4. But, the only annoying thing about the game is the ship ride. Why? because it takes a long times to got to your destination and lot of monsters while you're gotting there.

Suikoden IV will be released in Europe on the 18th, I believe.

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I was a big fan of Suikoden 1, 2 and 3. In other words, a big fan of the series.
However, I'm hearing that S4 sucks the big one...

Is there any more people here who can vouch for the quality of S4?

Oh and what Souryusen said.
I could always import it, though, but damn... I might have money, but import costs are gay regardless.

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by: Souryusen

Its already been released in the US.

Souryusen
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:16 PM

All well and good, but Terra lives in Sweden. I could care less about Suikoden.

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by: Souryusen

Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I was a big fan of Suikoden 1, 2 and 3. In other words, a big fan of the series.
However, I'm hearing that S4 sucks the big one...

Is there any more people here who can vouch for the quality of S4?

Oh and what Souryusen said.
I could always import it, though, but damn... I might have money, but import costs are gay regardless.

I've never played 1 and 2. But for people saying 4 is suck, that's not true. I liked it. I think the reasons why people hated it is because of the ship ride.

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Not one single 10/10 for S4 at GameFAQs. That's VERY bad, considering the fanboy nature of all the people there.

Deblas
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
I dont know if there is one for ps2 but Fable is good

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know if Sweden have any game magazine called Gameinformer, but Gaminformer rated 8.5 out of 10.

Originally posted by: Deblas
I dont know if there is one for ps2 but Fable is good

Nah, it's only for Xbox. Maybe in the future is will.

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Okay, so besides Suikoden 4...?

Souryusen
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Did you play Legaia 2: Duel Saga? It's pretty decent.. nothing groundbreaking but the combat engine is kinda fun.

Aeon
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Growlanser Generations, you get two great games in one.

stos289
Sat, 02-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I would pick up Phantom Brave (I believe it just got released or is coming out this month in Europe). Its a great strategy/RPG game with a deep story and a crazy battle system. If you've played Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (if you didn't, go out and buy it now), then you will like Phantom Brave. Hope I could help.

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Funny, i wanted to get Growlanser but ended up gotting Suikoden 4.

Arcn3ss
Sat, 02-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by: Aeon
Growlanser Generations, you get two great games in one.

Really? I find the battle system annoying.

Iam replaying Xenogears...play that...

Originally posted by: stos289
I would pick up Phantom Brave (I believe it just got released or is coming out this month in Europe). Its a great strategy/RPG game with a deep story and a crazy battle system. If you've played Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (if you didn't, go out and buy it now), then you will like Phantom Brave. Hope I could help.

Ya i agree with that. I own Disgaea, Phatom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics. All good tactic type rpgs, same company too. Nippon Ichi i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I liked Disgaea. I might go for Phantom Brave then?

Legaia huh, I'll check more into it.

Keep the recommendations coming.

Souryusen
Sat, 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Check out Legaia movie 9 for a decent gameplay clip. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/legaia2duelsaga/media.html)

anime050
Sat, 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I actually didn't like Legaia 2 that much. It wasn't as good as the first one for PSone.

It was kind of... easier.

NM
Sat, 02-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Check out Kingdom Hearts if you havent played it. Its an Action Rpg and its made by Square-Enix i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif.

Deblas
Sat, 02-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Not actually an RPG but what about prince of persia: warrior within. It has some glitches but its very good

PSJ
Sat, 02-05-2005, 08:04 PM
oh well since the only rpg i've ever played that i know of is FFX that would be my recommendation but i guess you've already played it?

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Kingdom Hearts is old, therefore beaten.
However, I sold my copy... I guess getting a new one and replaying it sounds pretty nice.
Hell, I'll do that!
It's cheap too.

I -was- going to get Legaia... because it looked good. BUT IT 'S SOLD OUT YAY!

Edit: I suddenly got into an X-Men mode and ordered X-Men Legends. I hear it's kinda RPG-ish, so it will have to do.

You can discuss RPGs or something now, peons.

LobsterMagnet
Sat, 02-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Wait don't get X-men Legends I have a few recommendations!!

First off one RPG i played recently is the skies of arcadia port for the gamecube. You might have to look in the used game bin to track it down but it's out there somewhere. Skies of Arcadia was an RPG for the dreamcast originally so it's a bit dated but it has a very charming asthetic filled with imagination.

Another gamecube recommendation would be Baiten Kaitos for the gamecube. I got it recently and i'm about 15 hours into it. Story is cliched and the voice acting is horrible but it has some fantastic artwork and very pretty music.

One final gamecube recommendation I have is tales of symphonia. I really didn't like that much but you might possibly enjoy it. It has a fun real time battle system and the best part is that it supports 4 players. I hated the story and artwork and cliched fantasy anime setting but you might like it.

Terracosmo
Sat, 02-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I'll keep those recommendations in mind. Depending on price, and how quickly I rape X-Men, I might get to one more game before the Samurai Warriors expansion set turns up around the end of february.

Deblas
Sat, 02-05-2005, 11:37 PM
theres a gamecube rpg called tales of symphonia

animefreak
Sat, 02-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
theres a gamecube rpg called tales of symphonia

LobsterMagnet already mentioned that game.

Deblas
Sat, 02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
ohh your right. I didnt read his post

NM
Sun, 02-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Terra, I know you mentioned only games for PS2 and Gamecube but since you've played Kingdom Hearts, why not get Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the Gameboy Advance? If you don't want to buy it, you can always get a GBA emulator and ROM of it. I got the game for Christmas and it was really fun. The new Card system is pretty cool and the story just gets better and better as you progress. Especially the Reverse/Rebirth mode.

animefreak
Sun, 02-06-2005, 12:26 AM
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories., is this game just like kingdom hearts 1 or is it a whole style of battle combats and story?

Arcn3ss
Sun, 02-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Play Xenogears.... damn you terra!

DO
Sun, 02-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Shadow Hearts.

NM
Sun, 02-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Speaking of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories., is this game just like kingdom hearts 1 or is it a whole style of battle combats and story?

You should think of CoM as Kingdom Hearts 1.5. It takes place after Kingdom Hearts 1 ends and a year before Kingdom Hearts 2 begins. Its completely different battle system because of the new card system. And like I said, the story has gotten even better after playing CoM.

jing
Sun, 02-06-2005, 01:17 PM
xenosaga 1 and 2, 2 is coming out february....

animefreak
Sun, 02-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I'm not sure if this is a RPG game, but they had that guy from Devil May Cry. If someone had it please tell me.

DO
Sun, 02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I have it and it is an rpg, kind of reminds of me pokemon but with raiseing demons.

Lefty
Sun, 02-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Definty xenosaga. I can't wait for the fifteenth. It's been what Two years since the last one.

Winged Dancer
Mon, 02-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Well, I'd say Baten Kaitos for the GC is pretty good - made by the same guys who did Xenosaga. But the voice acting sucks above everything known to man. Luckily, it can be turned off.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey winged dancer if you've beaten Baiten Kaitos can you answer one quick question for me? In the intro there are all of these really nice FMV cutscenes. In the game do you actually get to see these elaborate cinemas? Or were they just made to create that compelling intro but there are none in the actual real game.

Suede
Mon, 02-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Best advice for ya, get an Xbox and get Kotor 1 & 2. After that get Otogi 1 & 2. Then Ninja Gaiden. :x

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
X-box is one of the worst systems for japanese developed games. None of them have been very successful in their native countries and in the US. Japanese developers are starting to move away from the x-box. PS2 seems to be the most supportive platform for Japanese developed games.

As for Kotor 1+2, you can play them both on the PC.

TruthofMistake
Mon, 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
hmm for ps2 id kinda recomend legend of legaia it was really good til i got about 3/4 of the way through and then it got kinda boring.... but if your looking for something to hold you over to the next game its a good choice i really liked it til then and the fight system is handy and the plots not bad.... is kingdom hearts that good iv never heard a bad word about it but the whole disney setting threw me off what makes it such a good game???? oh and id say no on the xbox especially if your just buying it for kotor 1 and 2 which to me had now replay value at all once you went through both light and dark side and the final bosses were cake in both i beat both on my first tries and i can tell you i sucked at fighting in that game for some reason although it wasnt complex or anything and although it has some promising games on it like fable and a cool one named jade empire comes out soon im not about to dish out 150 for them

animefreak
Tue, 02-08-2005, 08:21 AM
i don't like Kingdom Heats, it's so childish. I just let my little brother play and i watched while he played. I'm more into mature RPG like Final Fantasy.

GhostKaGe
Tue, 02-08-2005, 08:23 AM
this is simple get a snes emulator d/l crono trigger rom and play till your hearts content

animefreak
Tue, 02-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by: The Next Hokage
this is simple get a snes emulator d/l crono trigger rom and play till your hearts content

Good idea, but some people don't want to play a game which they had already beat.

SunG^^
Fri, 02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Try these :
Shadow Hearts 2 = Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Xenosaga
Star Ocean 3 : Till The End of Time

*waiting for Magna Carta*

I cant play Suikoden at all ... too chibi .. and moves like robot hehe ....

Those are great RPG ..

Hellraiser
Fri, 02-11-2005, 07:52 PM
whats kotor and whats the gameplay like?

Terracosmo
Fri, 02-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Knights of the old republic, it's a great RPG. Gameplay is kinda like 3D Baldur's Gate I guess.

Souryusen
Fri, 02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Just got KOTOR2 for PC... it's fantastic. Lotta people prefer the 1st game but so far I think this game is much much better. It has a much better representation of the Expanded Universe than the original.

p.s. Nar Shadda roxxorz

Kagari
Sat, 02-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Dot Hack Series.

SK
Sat, 02-12-2005, 08:32 AM
good rpg? GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS, best game ever.

Kagari
Sat, 02-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
good rpg? GRAND THEFT AUTO SAN ANDREAS, best game ever.

*slap*

TruthofMistake
Sun, 02-13-2005, 04:07 PM
agreed those games get so old after about 3 days of playing

Hellraiser
Sun, 02-13-2005, 11:33 PM
whats a rpg for xbox that has job classes like warrior, thief, and wizard?

SK
Sun, 02-13-2005, 11:36 PM
fable?

Hellraiser
Sun, 02-13-2005, 11:44 PM
is there like a ninja class in fable?

Aeon
Sun, 02-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Xenosaga 2 comes out Tuesday i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif. Too bad the first half of it focuses on crappy Jr and the crappy URTV's.

Board of Command
Sun, 02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I just got KotOR 2. I'll try it out once I get my new computer up and running. 1 more day i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Also, I'm currently playing Planescape: Torment. A lot of people say it's the best RPG ever, even better storyline than FF7 (which is pretty impossible). I just started so I can't really tell.

Terracosmo
Mon, 02-14-2005, 01:57 AM
P:T has such a FUCKING good story. I'd trade my balls to write something half as good.

lol, it's not "impossible" to have a better storyline than FF7.

NM
Mon, 02-14-2005, 07:00 AM
What is Planescape: Torment? Is it an online Rpg or just a regular rpg for Ps2, Xbox, etc.? I just got Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. The first one was amazing and now this one just absolutely rocks.

Souryusen
Mon, 02-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
What is Planescape: Torment? Is it an online Rpg or just a regular rpg for Ps2, Xbox, etc.? I just got Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords. The first one was amazing and now this one just absolutely rocks.

It's a D&D system rpg like Baldur's Gate. It's fairly old.

SK
Mon, 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM
planetside is an mmorpg i think...

Y
Mon, 02-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
planetside is an mmorpg i think...

Planetside is an MMO first person shooter.